Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Pekka Rinne extended (2 years, $5M AAV)

cynicalcitizen

Feb 6, 2014
Yes, but higher sales taxes are nothing compared to a chunk of your salary (income tax) when you're making millions.
People that earn more money spend more money, therefore the sales tax has similar impact on the total financial picture for high earning athletes in Tennessee.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Yes, but higher sales taxes are nothing compared to a chunk of your salary (income tax) when you're making millions.
Tax shelters get you relief on income tax. There’s no relief for sales tax. Also, taxes are paid in the city you play the game in so you’re only getting income tax relief on 41 home games

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Tax shelters get you relief on income tax. There’s no relief for sales tax. Also, taxes are paid in the city you play the game in so you’re only getting income tax relief on 41 home games
True, but let's not act like half the income is not a huge tax relief... it probably amounts to close to a million compared to higher tax states/provinces

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
People that earn more money spend more money, therefore the sales tax has similar impact on the total financial picture for high earning athletes in Tennessee.

Still... it's known that sales taxes are more beneficial for the wealthier tier of society. You ain't going to buy 5x the food because you have more money, have 6 cellphones, etc. The % of money spent on total salary should be much lower for someone doing 5M as opposed to someone doing 60k.

Good signing anyway!

https://www.bankrate.com/finance/taxes/state-with-no-income-tax-better-or-worse-1.aspx

JKM

Jul 23, 2009
When I first saw Rinne play, he was awful. His rebound control was non-existent. I thought he wouldn't have a long career ahead of him. Then he was drafted and went to become one of the best goalies in the world. Maybe that tells more about my talent evaluation skills than anyting else. Good signing by Nashville. It's interesting that a thread about Brandon Manning gets more replies than this one.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
True, but let's not act like half the income is not a huge tax relief... it probably amounts to close to a million compared to higher tax states/provinces
that's a +20% state income tax, so I'm going to say, you're completely wrong. Remember we still have federal income taxes. The most it would be even with a bad tax attorney in the very highest bracket in the US would be $209k and that's without the write-offs from playing in the other income taxed states.

Reactions: Viqsi and Starat327

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
When I first saw Rinne play, he was awful. His rebound control was non-existent. I thought he wouldn't have a long career ahead of him. Then he was drafted and went to become one of the best goalies in the world. Maybe that tells more about my talent evaluation skills than anyting else. Good signing by Nashville. It's interesting that a thread about Brandon Manning gets more replies than this one.
Sure, you saw Rinne play before he was drafted. Others saw Backstrom.
Even if, it didn‘t help you recognize talent.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
Hoping this means Pekka can retire a Pred. Would really hurt to see him in any other sweater. I think he really enjoys the dynamic with Saros. Saros isn't ready to be a full time starter. The Preds' advanced stats are still quite a bit better with Rinne between the pipes than Saros. 2 years should be enough runway to fully make the transition though.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
that's a +20% state income tax, so I'm going to say, you're completely wrong. Remember we still have federal income taxes. The most it would be even with a bad tax attorney in the very highest bracket in the US would be $209k and that's without the write-offs from playing in the other income taxed states.

Ok, I'm completely wrong lol

Reactions: triggrman

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
They are basing those on a 82 game in the same city take home pay, which I don't believe is the way it works with the Jock Tax. It works for a chart like this because it allows you to put flat numbers for each team. They're also adding the Fed Income tax rate to the state income tax rate to get the total tax rate, so it's not figuring in on state income deductibles or federal income tax deductibles.

again, we have taxes here, just not an income tax. We still have the highest sales tax in the country, so you pay taxes, just not up front.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
They are basing those on a 82 game in the same city take home pay, which I don't believe is the way it works with the Jock Tax. It works for a chart like this because it allows you to put flat numbers for each team. They're also adding the Fed Income tax rate to the state income tax rate to get the total tax rate, so it's not figuring in on state income deductibles or federal income tax deductibles.

again, we have taxes here, just not an income tax. We still have the highest sales tax in the country, so you pay taxes, just not up front.

Whatever, I understand if you don't want to go thru this stuff... totally understand. I kind of like it, since it's relative to my work. It's hard to know how much exactly, but you guys (tax free states and nhl players in those markets) clearly benefit from it... in a substantial way (not just a few %)

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Whatever, I understand if you don't want to go thru this stuff... totally understand. I kind of like it, since it's relative to my work. It's hard to know how much exactly, but you guys (tax free states and nhl players in those markets) clearly benefit from it... in a substantial way (not just a few %)
I did go through it, and it's calculating the taxes wrong. If it's relative to your work you need to learn more about it. And again, we're not a "tax free state"

Reactions: Viqsi and Starat327

cynicalcitizen

Feb 6, 2014

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
please tell me where I'm wrong.

Are Jock taxes figured into those charts?
Are deductibles figured into those charts?
Does Tennessee not have one of the nations highest sales tax?

Sorry, too long. Again, if you have interest and want to have an intelligent debate. Educate yourself.

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
please tell me where I'm wrong.

Are Jock taxes figured into those charts?
Are deductibles figured into those charts?
Does Tennessee not have one of the nations highest sales tax?

The 'Jock Tax' no longer applies in TN:
Public Chapter 760 eliminated the professional privilege tax on National Hockey League ("NHL") players, beginning for regular season games played in Tennessee after April 24, 2014. For National Basketball Association ("NBA") players, the professional privilege tax is eliminated for regular season games played in Tennessee after June 1, 2016.
Professional Privilege Tax for Athletes

The jock tax was $2,500 per game, up to a maximum of three games per annual tax period. In other words, the maximum amount an individual player was taxed per year was $7,500 ($2,500 x three games). The tax applied to anyone on the active roster, so it WAS lucrative for the state to get that out-of-state revenue! So when it was active, $165K in taxes to the State of TN for the visitors to play a road game in Nashville! $6.77M per season off of players not even living in the State and a tax that most voters would be behind as they weren't paying it!

Reactions: jfhabs

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
The 'Jock Tax' no longer applies in TN:

Professional Privilege Tax for Athletes

The jock tax was $2,500 per game, up to a maximum of three games per annual tax period. In other words, the maximum amount an individual player was taxed per year was $7,500 ($2,500 x three games). The tax applied to anyone on the active roster, so it WAS lucrative for the state to get that out-of-state revenue! So when it was active, $165K in taxes to the State of TN for the visitors to play a road game in Nashville! $6.77M per season off of players not even living in the State and a tax that most voters would be behind as they weren't paying it!
Not that Jock tax, this one.

In the United States, the jock tax is the colloquially named income tax levied against visitors to a city or state who earn money in that jurisdiction. Since a state cannot afford to track the many individuals who do business on an itinerant basis, the ones targeted are usually very wealthy and high profile, namely professional athletes. Not only are the working schedules of famous sports players public, so are their salaries. The state can compute and collect the amount with very little investment of time and effort.

Reactions: SavageSteve

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Great signing given both the low cap-hit and low term length. Rinne could have gotten more of both on the open market, especially coming off a Vezina. Nashville did very well here.

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
It's interesting that a thread about Brandon Manning gets more replies than this one.
One is more questionable than the other, so I suppose it makes sense :laugh: And we're catching up here with the tax debate!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad