Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Pekka Rinne extended (2 years, $5M AAV)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If Rinne decides to be an ******* and refuse to waive his NMC, Seattle gets Saros. Probably won't happen, but you never know.
Who knows. Maybe the contract stipulates that the NMC does not include an expansion draft protection.

It's early, but if the Preds keep their 4D, they have several other forwards who would interest an expansion team rather than a 38 year old goalie.

Reactions: PredsV82

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Cups? lol When did Rinne win the stanley cup?

Stats? Well if you exclude the fact that Rinne was playing behind Josi, Subban, Ekholm and Ellis, and Price was playing behind players like Alzner, Benn and Schlemko, then sure.

This guy named the preds best dmen but the habs worse dmen lol trying to prove a point but uses very non comparable dmen to do so

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Who knows. Maybe the contract stipulates that the NMC does not include an expansion draft protection.

It's early, but if the Preds keep their 4D, they have several other forwards who would interest an expansion team rather than a 38 year old goalie.

I'd be very surprised if it does include such a specific clause. I agree with you on the fwd vs Rinne, but there is always the chance Rinne say f*** that (like Fleury could have done, which may have happened if he was not a 2nd fiddle to Murray). That would leave the Preds with either buying out Rinne (they would most probably know before the buyout deadline) or exposing Saros. A limited NTC would have been the safest way to go for the 2nd year for the Preds.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
This guy named the preds best dmen but the habs worse dmen lol trying to prove a point but uses very non comparable dmen to do so

lol okay so adding mete and petry now makes it comparable with the Nashville defensemen :facepalm:

Weber, Reilly and Juulsen all only played around 20 games each last year, so no point in including them.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
being the best team in the league helps

Yeah. It's a lot easier to convince guys to take a small haircut to keep a great team together. It's been the same for a bunch of top contenders over the years. Detroit was the home of the "hometown discount" forever, until they started to stink. Chicago pulled some pretty slick deals while they were competing for Cups every year. Even Vancouver had a handful of guys signing some real sweetheart deals based on an "internal cap" at the height of the Sedin era.

That said...Poile has also won big on some "gambles" with longer-term deals on middle-of-roster type players who have turned into absolute stud, top-of-roster type players for him. Which is legitimately impressive, and more than just having a good team to sell impending FAs on. Getting guys like Ekholm, Arvidsson, Jarnkrok, Ellis for the past bunch of years, etc. locked up on steal contracts with term has been huge for his flexibility dealing with other players.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
It depends on what else is available for goaltending and what other assets are available on Nashville. If I'm Seattle I'd much rather have 1 year of Rinne to try and catch magic like Vegas did and build a fanbase, than a forward HOWEVER if they protect 4 D like they did last time, Nashville probably is going to have players like Turris, Fiala, Sissons, Tolvanen available. So it probably wouldn't be Rinne anyways. And a couple of those options might be better to build around.

Assuming Rinne waives, would you take a 38 year old goaltender, who might retire and leave you with $5M in dead cap space for a year, over a quality forward, defenceman, or whatever Nashville is willing to trade to protect players?

Reactions: Seanaconda

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Assuming Rinne waives, would you take a 38 year old goaltender, who might retire and leave you with $5M in dead cap space for a year, over a quality forward, defenceman, or whatever Nashville is willing to trade to protect players?

Depends what's there, but it's possible. After Fleury, a top goalie becomes a definite need. And who knows Seattle could probably pull a McPhee and get Nashville to pay for them to not take one of the defensemen, and come away with Rinne and a forward. We're also assuming Rinne waives.

PhoenyX

Dec 13, 2009
Toronto
I don't understand why the Preds extended this guy after he continues to show he can't get it done in the playoffs. They should have just rolled with Saros in my opinion.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Do we know it has a NMC?
Someone over on the Preds boards said it was a modified NTC where he could choose 10 teams, but otherwise I haven't heard any confirmation of this.

As far as why we signed him vs letting g him go? Absolutely nothing says Saros can't transition to the starter even with Rinne signed for multiple years. Pekka knows that is coming, but he also gives us a decent insurance policy if something happens. Having two solid goalies is a good thing to have in this day and age if you can afford them. So many teams lose a starter and then are basically SoL for the season.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
Am I the only one that thinks it's crazy to give a 2 year extension for that much money to a goalie that just turned 36 and will be 37 shortly after that extension kicks in?

Doing Rinne a small favor as thanks for everything he's done for that organization? Doesn't seem crazy to me. He takes a slight discount, but gets security for the next couple of years. Both sides wanted to make this work, seems clear to me. Rinne wants to win a Cup in Nashville and it wouldn't surprise me to see him get it.

Kevs Security

inmateMack/CanesMack/LeafMack/elMacko
May 28, 2018
Toronto, Canada
I don't understand why the Preds extended this guy after he continues to show he can't get it done in the playoffs. They should have just rolled with Saros in my opinion.
With this contract Rinne is very valuable. They can roll with 1a/1b very cheaply. There aren't any better guys at the same price on the free agency, why not keep Rinne with this paycut? It's safe and smart in my opinion.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
being the best team in the league helps

Rinnes never been greedy. He got an above market deal 7 years ago and hes in a place he wants to be and finish his career, not to mention hes got a legit shot at a Cup.

Plus he and Jusse Saros have a Father/son type relationship.

Poile is great but this deal happened because Rinne is just a great person/teammate

Reactions: Soundgarden

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad