Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Nashville Extends Ryan Ellis, (8 Years, $6.25M AAV)

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
I was calling a sweetheart $5.5M per...I'm not going to bitch about this. Thrilled to have Ellis locked up. Solid, all-around d-man who gives 100% effort and is a core part of the leadership group. Unbelievable to see any Preds fan complaining about this...for shame!

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I'd say he signed for a little under market value but no state income tax helps, lower federal tax in the USA vs Canada helps, staying where he is helps, and playing for a team poised to contend for a long while helps. I'd probably have taken the same deal for less than my market value too if I were him.

I'm happy for both sides. Looks like a great deal for both sides to me.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Good deal, but Nashville needs to add another game breaking forward. Not spend more and more money on defense.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
Ellis is great and I love him, but he is not the 20th best defenseman in the NHL.
Everyone has their own opinion. Not saying i would even rate him that, but who would really know best? Us Hf posters or people who are actually paid to know and talk about hockey?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If it kicked in today he'd be a top 20 paid d-man in the league, which I don't think he is. However, by the time this deal kicks in and some others get their contracts it should be damn near market value. In 2-3 years it should be below market.

So essentially should be a steal of a contract.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
They're gonna have to close that tax loophole or Nashville and Tampa are gonna make it look like a no cap league. Nice deal.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
8 years is way too long. Nashville will hate this contract in a few years.
I'd be more concerned if he had a more robust injury history and was more reliant on his physical tools. As his greatest asset is his high hockey IQ, I'm not terribly worried about him having a sudden massive drop-off. He's gotten to the level he's at while not being an incredibly mobile skater to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad