Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Nashville Extends Ryan Ellis, (8 Years, $6.25M AAV)

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Caps played without Backstrom for much of last postseason. Pens won without Letang.

Injuries happen.

The fact you don’t have the depth to overcome it says otherwise when it comes to upgrading your forward group.

WE DID THAT LAST YEAR. If you don't think Johansen, Turris and Bonino is an upgrade on Gaudreau, a broken Fisher and Harry Zolnercizyenk then there is no help for you.

Reactions: Peanut and preds1

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
WE DID THAT LAST YEAR. If you don't think Johansen, Turris and Bonino is an upgrade on Gaudreau, a broken Fisher and Harry Zolnercizyenk then there is no help for you.

You added a 2nd and 3rd line center. I’ve been talking about adding a legit 1st line talent.

You have two of those. Cup winning teams have several. Chicago had Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Saad. Kings had Kopitar, Carter, Gaborik, Toffoli. Pens had Sid, Geno, Kessel and Guentzel. Caps had Kuz, Ovy, Backstrom and Oshie.

Tough to acquire such a player. But it’s pretty much impossible to win without more than a couple high end talented forwards.

Tysonson3

Feb 20, 2017
You added a 2nd and 3rd line center. I’ve been talking about adding a legit 1st line talent.

You have two of those. Cup winning teams have several. Chicago had Toews, Kane, Sharp, Hossa, Saad. Kings had Kopitar, Carter, Gaborik, Toffoli. Pens had Sid, Geno, Kessel and Guentzel. Caps had Kuz, Ovy, Backstrom and Oshie.

Tough to acquire such a player. But it’s pretty much impossible to win without more than a couple high end talented forwards.
So toffoli, saad, and guentzel are 1st liners but arvidsson is not?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I'd put him in with guys like Letang/McDonagh/Gostisbehere/Vlasic/Krug, in that list.

On the other hand, you forgot Seth Jones. ;)

I surprisingly forgot Seth Jones, indeed. I would slot him around #10, between Ekman-Larsson and Werenski.

I stand by my opinion and would still pick all those players on my team before Ellis at the beginning of this season.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
You guys do realize that we had to play Gaudreau because Johansen broke his leg on a fluke play right? Or that we couldn't/didn't want to play Riberio because of his alcoholism. We don't need to upgrade at forward just because you don't know anything about our team.
I've watched my inferior team (habs) "outplay" many teams and still lose.

It's easy to blame the goalie but elite snipers are much harder to stop than plugs that flood the net with shots.

FF is the only elite forward on the preds, imho.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I've watched my inferior team (habs) "outplay" many teams and still lose.

It's easy to blame the goalie but elite snipers are much harder to stop than plugs that flood the net with shots.

FF is the only elite forward on the preds, imho.
That's why I think it might be time to trade 1 of our top defenseman we have for an elite forward. I think Joey had the potential to be a top player but he seems to look lazy at times. If arvi could contribute more on the power play he could be close to a 70 point player. But adding another elite forward for 1 of our top defenseman wouldn't hurt my feelings. Or maybe trade a prospect and a pick for patches ;)

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
That's why I think it might be time to trade 1 of our top defenseman we have for an elite forward. I think Joey had the potential to be a top player but he seems to look lazy at times. If arvi could contribute more on the power play he could be close to a 70 point player. But adding another elite forward for 1 of our top defenseman wouldn't hurt my feelings. Or maybe trade a prospect and a pick for patches ;)
Pacioretty isn't the type of player Nashville needs. They need someone who can singlehandedly create offense and lift the players around them. The only way to acquire those guys is to tank for a top-5 pick or trade with Chiarelli.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Still think this mentality misses the point on why our team remains so competitive season after season. We swap out one of the top 4 for another forward and our forward core STILL isn't as good as Winnipeg, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Toronto, etc... but our relative strength on the defensive end compared to other top teams narrows considerably.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Pacioretty isn't the type of player Nashville needs. They need someone who can singlehandedly create offense and lift the players around them. The only way to acquire those guys is to tank for a top-5 pick or trade with Chiarelli.
I agree with this. As I asked earlier, who has a spare elite forward laying around that they want to trade (and I swear, if someone tries to mention Nylander :madfire:...)?

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
Wow what an observation, do you have more wisdom to share with the commonfolk?

Switching goalies earlier makes the series more competetive. Losing 2 games on PIT ground with no contest from Pekka was never going to be a winning strategy. Too bad he went on a tear before the finals so there was no room to switch him out.

Not to mention the Preds were robbed twice by the refs during the final round, at critical moments. I know it's part of the game, but that was terrible bad luck.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Caps played without Backstrom for much of last postseason. Pens won without Letang.

Injuries happen.

The fact you don’t have the depth to overcome it says otherwise when it comes to upgrading your forward group.

Winnipeg average about a goal per game more than Nashville, yes. And? Poile should have allowed one of his top four defensemen to walk in some effort to shore up the forwards, a move you don't even know existed? Smart play.

Not only is Ellis integral to the Predators total team offense, an offense that is driven from the back-end more so than almost every other team in the league, but last season he scored at a .73ppg pace (the same as Seth Jones and Drew Doughty; slightly higher than Subban, Josi, Yandle, Pietrangelo, Rielly, etc.). He played half of a season and was still in the top 50 in defenseman scoring. The next closest player in terms of games played to make it into the top 50 defensemen in scoring was Spurgeon who played 17 more games and scored 5 more points.

You're really prepared to make the assumption that not only could a deal have been made that would have traded Ellis for a forward, but that such a forward would score enough not only to completely negate the absence of Ellis but to make the team better despite his absence?

Bold strategy.

Reactions: Viqsi and triggrman

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Winnipeg average about a goal per game more than Nashville, yes. And? Poile should have allowed one of his top four defensemen to walk in some effort to shore up the forwards, a move you don't even know existed? Smart play.

Not only is Ellis integral to the Predators total team offense, an offense that is driven from the back-end more so than almost every other team in the league, but last season he scored at a .73ppg pace (the same as Seth Jones and Drew Doughty; slightly higher than Subban, Josi, Yandle, Pietrangelo, Rielly, etc.). He played half of a season and was still in the top 50 in defenseman scoring. The next closest player in terms of games played to make it into the top 50 defensemen in scoring was Spurgeon who played 17 more games and scored 5 more points.

You're really prepared to make the assumption that not only could a deal have been made that would have traded Ellis for a forward, but that such a forward would score enough not only to completely negate the absence of Ellis but to make the team better despite his absence?

Bold strategy.

I said trade one your D for a high end forward. Doesn’t have to be Ellis. Apparently he’s the shit and your team would fall apart without him.

It’s painfully obvious that you simply don’t have the high end talent up front to beat the best in the game.

Move Josi.

A top 6 of Forsberg-Johansen-Arvidsson. Fiala-Turris-XXX. Ain’t winning a Cup.

You bring up WPG averaging a goal more per game. That’s precisely what I’m talking about. You need that one shot scorer to tilt a key deciding game.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Now is not the time to move Josi, even if we assume such a move is even available anywhere.

Thanks, though.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I said trade one your D for a high end forward. Doesn’t have to be Ellis. Apparently he’s the **** and your team would fall apart without him.

It’s painfully obvious that you simply don’t have the high end talent up front to beat the best in the game.

Move Josi.

A top 6 of Forsberg-Johansen-Arvidsson. Fiala-Turris-XXX. Ain’t winning a Cup.

You bring up WPG averaging a goal more per game. That’s precisely what I’m talking about. You need that one shot scorer to tilt a key deciding game.
You do realize we were 2 games away from the cup with our top line center being Colton sissons because Joey was hurt along with Kevin fiala. If rinne would of played average in Pittsburgh we probably would of won. Then this year rinne was absolutely horrible and we took the jets 7 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad