Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Nashville Extends Ryan Ellis, (8 Years, $6.25M AAV)

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Playing for a contender in a tax free state-itis

No state income tax =/= no state tax. I promise you Tennessee collects revenue.

ETA: Moreover, because state and local taxes are deductible on your federal returns, I'd wager the impact state tax has on signing decisions is grossly overestimated by these boards. (You pay less, you deduct less; you pay more, you deduct more. Players across different US states with the same salaries probably come out much closer in total tax liabilities than you're imagining they do.)

Last edited:

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Good deal for both sides. Ellis gets a cool 50M on the dot while getting to play for a contender with low taxes. Nashville gets to lock up a great top pairing defenceman at 12.8% of the cap. 6.25M is going to be second pairing money soon if it isn’t already.

Reactions: iSophagus

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Long term for a smaller player is always risky but good deal for both sides: player gets long term and team gets a fair cap hit.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Any NMC/NTC? NSH currently has 0 on their Fwds and D

Wonder how expansion draft will play out for them, they got full flexibility

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Great deal. Nashville's core really cares about what the team looks like through the 2021-22 season (when Forsberg, Subban and Ekholm have their contracts come up). If Ellis is a bit overpaid towards the end of this contract (and I don't think he will be), it's the cost of keeping together a core for three extra years (assuming Josi will be re-signed, and that seems like a virtual certainty). .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad