Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Nashville Extends Ryan Ellis, (8 Years, $6.25M AAV)

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Morgan Rielly would definitely be the #1 defenseman on his team even with Ellis in it. Same thing could be said with Aaron Ekblad. While I agree Ryan Ellis might have the edge on Krug or Barrie defensively, it is not enough to make for the difference in what they bring to the table on the PP/offensively. I'm quite confident most people would take Ekblad, Rielly, Krug and Barrie on their team before Ryan Ellis. Maybe we should do a poll about it?
Ellis would be the Leafs top D-man.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
6.25 in Nash would be like 8 mil on a Canadian team. The league has to fix the tax difference.

Canadian players are paid in US$ though, and their everyday expenses are in CAN$. Not sure which situation is really more favorable. Taxes are quite complex, players pay some taxes in every city they play in (road games), technically. So even players who play in tax-free states pay taxes for at least half of their games (except for the road games in tax-free states I assume).

Anyways, it would be interesting to have real-life numbers. I know Georges Laraque once said taxes didn't make a difference when he played in MTL. Most of his taxes were paid in Alberta, because that's where his permanent residence was.

Reactions: Buffalo Preds

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I don't think they need to do that... yet. They just won the Presidents Trophy, got to the finals a year earlier. They're a Cup contender as is. If they falter this year then sure they can look at upgrading the offense. They can even sign Duchene, who honestly belongs there.

And they lost back to back years by a team with finishers. Winnipeg and Pitt. They could have prime Hamhuis and Timonen to play behind their current top 4 and it doesn’t matter.

They beat the Pens in 2017 IMO with another guy who can finish regularly. Even with Rinne sucking out loud.

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
And they lost back to back years by a team with finishers. Winnipeg and Pitt. They could have prime Hamhuis and Timonen to play behind their current top 4 and it doesn’t matter.

They beat the Pens in 2017 IMO with another guy who can finish regularly. Even with Rinne sucking out loud.
Rinne was kinda crap in both series.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Barf barf barf
This is going to backfire so ****ing much
6.5 for our 4th best D IMO for 8 years IS a travesty

I guess he's either your #3 or #4, but he's been playing over 23 minutes/game for the last two years. He probably ranks around 50-60th overall D league-wide and would get 7x7-7.5 at UFA.
A ~1mil 'discount' seems about right for getting the eighth year and for getting the contract a year early...
Josi will get his big deal in a year (8x7?) and at that point you'll be paying ~26 mil for one of the best top-fours in the league, not bad.
Hard to say how far into their 30s those guys can maintain their level but Nashville is pushing for a cup in the next 3-4 years so if its a little rough in 2025 they'll deal with that then.

Reactions: RickP

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Rinne was kinda crap in both series.

I was at game 1 against the Pens. That was probably the worst period of hockey I’ve watched the Pens play. And yet the Preds did nothing with it.

They’re not gonna win a Cup with their current forwards. Winnipeg beat them. Vegas beat Winnipeg. And the Caps curb stomped Vegas.

Pens and Caps aren’t going anywhere. Have to match up with them if you want to win it all. They’ve been the two best teams the past three years.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Nice deal for Nashville. Ellis gets his big deal. Maybe slightly less than UFA, but sets him up long term on a great team.

Reactions: preds1

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
6.25 in Nash would be like 8 mil on a Canadian team. The league has to fix the tax difference.

Learn tax law, and you see there is little difference. Why is that we never hear of this problem with NBA and MLB players playing in Toronto, but somehow guys on HFBoards are suddenly accountants? Any one that looks at personal tax rates in each jurisdictions absolutely doesn't know the tax structure players are paid.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

haulinbass

Mar 6, 2014
Nashville's window is the next few seasons. It doesn't matter so much if the contract is bad in 6 years from now. Thats what is costs to make it a cap friendly contract over the next few years and give Nashville a chance to win while they can. I don't understand what people don't get about this process. Either sign him for 1 year and lose him, sign him for a much higher cap hit for lesser term and give your team less cap to work with now or deal with the 6.25 cap hit for 8 years. Easy math when you have the team Nashville does right now.

Nashville is setup to maintain their depth. They are going to be tough to beat for a while.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Fair for both sides. I think the real payoff for Nashville will be continuity among their D corps. To have the same D partner year after year just makes the game much easier to read.

Reactions: preds1

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Great AAV for the Preds, especially if he stays healthy/doesn’t decline much. On the flip side, great security for Ellis - hockey’s a physical sport with lots of injury risk, he’s guaranteed lots of money for a long time.

Makes sense for both sides IMO, especially if Ellis values stability/risk mitigation.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Very good signing, Nashville.

Rutherford, you don’t need to overpay for EVERY free agent...

Reactions: BHD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad