Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Nashville Extends Ryan Ellis, (8 Years, $6.25M AAV)

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Ellis would be the Leafs top D-man.
No he would not. Rielly is quite comfortably a better defender than ellis is. Rielly broke out offensively and played well defensive despite playing se really tough minutes. Ellis would be better than Gardiner but not rielly. But this contract is fair cap wise, but 2 years too long. Still ellis is a great number 2 guy who can put around 50 points from the second pairing. Preds just need to lock up josi on a couple of years and their core is set. They also always draft great defenders so they will be prepared in case they lose josi or subban leaves 4 years down the line.

Reactions: Michoulicious

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
good deal for 3/4 the contract and the remaining 1/4 won't be that bad of a deal either. wondering how they structured the deal.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Everyone says tax rates aren’t a big factor in the league because major UFAs never sign in Nash or Florida etc but then seem to sign good players for below market contracts consistently.

Clearly it is a factor when retaining players on favorable contracts

You're looking through your own rosy glasses. Ellis is a very very good Dman who has never played top 2 minutes on his team. He just signed an extension that would make him the NHL's 21st highest AAV defenceman in 2019, a year before he could hit the UFA market.

Which defencemen have signed bigger UFA contracts to change teams? Only Ryan Suter and Keith Yandle so far as I can tell.

Ellis got paid, especially on the 8 year term.

Reactions: BHD

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Don't know why people are complaining about the tax rates here (and this is coming from a bitter Habs fan). This is not a below market deal.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
MILES better than Dumba and on a better contract with around the same AAV. This is what separates winning teams like Nashville and Pretenders/Bubble teams like Minnesota.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Don't know why people are complaining about the tax rates here (and this is coming from a bitter Habs fan). This is not a below market deal.

I mostly agree. But the cap-hit is a bit lower than I would have expected. It's pretty clear that he took a lower dollar figure to get more term. And that makes a lot of sense for a player that didn't break out in the NHL right away.

Any team would want him for that price.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Pretty sure this is a great deal for both parties.
Nashville is paying for 7 UFA years and Ellis has become a very solid top 4 d-man.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
That's why you need elite talent up front. Switch goalies in that series and the result is the same.

Phil kessel will score more goals in 5 chances than colton scissons will in 10.
Wow what an observation, do you have more wisdom to share with the commonfolk?

Switching goalies earlier makes the series more competetive. Losing 2 games on PIT ground with no contest from Pekka was never going to be a winning strategy. Too bad he went on a tear before the finals so there was no room to switch him out.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
And they lost back to back years by a team with finishers. Winnipeg and Pitt. They could have prime Hamhuis and Timonen to play behind their current top 4 and it doesn’t matter.

They beat the Pens in 2017 IMO with another guy who can finish regularly. Even with Rinne sucking out loud.

That's why you need elite talent up front. Switch goalies in that series and the result is the same.

Phil kessel will score more goals in 5 chances than colton scissons will in 10.

You guys do realize that we had to play Gaudreau because Johansen broke his leg on a fluke play right? Or that we couldn't/didn't want to play Riberio because of his alcoholism. We don't need to upgrade at forward just because you don't know anything about our team.

Reactions: PerdFan

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Here is how I would personnally rank, as of today, the top defensemen in the NHL for the 2018-2019 season:

1. Erik Karlsson, OTT
2. Victor Hedman, TBL
3. Drew Doughty, LAK
4. Roman Josi, NSH
5. Brent Burns, SJS
6. PK Subban, NSH
7. John Klingberg, DAL
8. Alex Pietrangelo, STL
9. Zachary Werenski, CLB
10. Oliver Ekman-Larsson, ARI
11. Ducan Keith, CHI
12. Dustin Byfuglien, WPG
13. John Carlsson, WSH
14. Kristopher Letang, PIT
15. Marc-Edouard Vlasic, SJS
16. Ryan McDonagh, TBL
17. Shayne Gostisbehere, PHI
18. Torey Krug, BOS
19. Dougie Hamilton, CAR
20. Shea Weber, MTL
21. Mark Giordano, CGY
22. Ryan Suter, MIN
23. Aaron Ekblad, FLA
24. Morgan Rielly, TOR
25. Tyson Barrie, COL

... these are all, on top of my head, defensemen I would pick without hesitation over Ellis on my team.

After that, a case could be made with a buch of young up and coming defensemen that I would probably rank higher than him because of their upside (Provorov, Dumba, Ristolainen, Dahlin) and other proven veterans (Yandle, Muzzin, Brodie, Parayko, Shattekirk, Spurgeon).

To put him in the 25-35 range would be a fairer assessment in my opinion.
I'd put him in with guys like Letang/McDonagh/Gostisbehere/Vlasic/Krug, in that list.

On the other hand, you forgot Seth Jones. ;)

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
One of the best contracts in all of hockey, just like that.

The contract isn't bad, but it's far from "one of the best." He's being paid around what he should get (maybe a bit less), but on a long-term deal. The deal, though, follows what Poille has (judiciously) done with others players. Offer them security in return for taking less money.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
The contract isn't bad, but it's far from "one of the best." He's being paid around what he should get (maybe a bit less), but on a long-term deal. The deal, though, follows what Poille has (judiciously) done with others players. Offer them security in return for taking less money.

When you factor in that he would have been paid 8+ annually on the open market it absolutely equates to one to the best in hockey not only in a relative value sense, but also due to him just entering his prime with his best offensive years likely still ahead of him.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
His contract is similar to those of Fowler, McDonagh (the most recent one), and Vlasic. So unless he's a Hedman-level player, his contract seems just about right.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You guys do realize that we had to play Gaudreau because Johansen broke his leg on a fluke play right? Or that we couldn't/didn't want to play Riberio because of his alcoholism. We don't need to upgrade at forward just because you don't know anything about our team.

Caps played without Backstrom for much of last postseason. Pens won without Letang.

Injuries happen.

The fact you don’t have the depth to overcome it says otherwise when it comes to upgrading your forward group.

Reactions: BHD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad