Confirmed Trade: [NSH/MIN] Nick Bonino, 37th overall, 70th overall, for Luke Kunin and 101st overall

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
Wild finally have a team with a lot of high end young talent. With that defense they'll probably still stumble their way into the playoffs. I'm more interested in the season after next and onwards.

To the rest of the league: Enjoy the expansion draft lol

Reactions: Drewcifer

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
For People who don’t pay attention to the Wild here is how the roster looks in terms of and UFA Most of roster players on the Wild are RFAs
Johansson UfA
Bjugstad UfA
Bonino-UFA
Foligno-UFA
You can’t tell me this is totally on accident trading for ufa players

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Weird trade by Minnesota to get rid of Kunin like that.

I don't think Kunin is anything special. Don't think he has much offensive upside, really the only notable plus offensive skill he has is his release which is pretty good. Other than that he's mostly just about hard work and doing the right things. Tough to project him to be anything more than a hard working 20-20 middle 6 right shot winger. But that has its own value. He is young and was probably going to sign for 2.5-3M/yr and it would've been pretty good value all things considered. Also they were really lacking right shooting wingers and now got rid of the only one they had.

So it's weird. I thought Kunin was going to be part of the new Wild going forward, being a type of glue guy and playing a meaningful role even if it's not a high scoring one, maybe a little bit like Jenner in Columbus. Expansion draft is irrelevant because they are going have to expose and lose a similar level player anyway (unless they trade them all, which is probably not going to happen).

Wild were going lose of one Jordan Greenway or Luke kunin if dumba wasn't traded & had to be protected; while Greenway or Luke kunin would be exposed, & wild would lose one for nothing

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
For People who don’t pay attention to the Wild here is how the roster looks in terms of and UFA Most of roster players on the Wild are RFAs
Johansson UfA
Bjugstad UfA
Bonino-UFA
Foligno-UFA
You can’t tell me this is totally on accident trading for ufa playets
No. Not at all.

Minnesota isn't trying to compete next year. They are looking at an expansion draft year and the ability to set up shop at the trade deadline to basically get as many picks/assets back as possible. The rebuild is underway.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
As usual idk wtf Minnesota is doing
1DE2F78F-C869-4760-B196-E8F54B972081.jpeg

Reactions: AKL and Yeolo

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Johansson UfA
Bjugstad UfA
Bonino-UFA
Foligno-UFA
You can’t tell me this is totally on accident trading for ufa players
Hartman is a UFA too. Other than Bjugstad I can see all of those players being desirable role players for a playoff team. Add Greenway into that mix and the Wild may be looking at a trade deadline bonanza this season.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I think you're underrating Bonino, he'll probably get a 2nd at the deadline if he played like he did last year.
If he plays like last season, a 2nd is the bare minimum they'll get flipping him. We would have dared to hope for a late 1st, but that would have come down to how he played in the coming season and how the TDL market evolved. He was our best forward last season. Easily worth his fully salary. :(

Minnesota is at minimum going to get 2 2nds and a 3rd out of this.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
No. Not at all.

Minnesota isn't trying to compete next year. They are looking at an expansion draft year and the ability to set up shop at the trade deadline to basically get as many picks/assets back as possible. The rebuild is underway.
If Minnesota wasnt trying to compete next year, they would have kept Dubnyk.

Yeolo

Apr 11, 2014
If it goes like that, they will lose one for nothing now too? That was my point.

They are shipping Greenway out barring he becomes what he was coming up through the system quickly. If he ends up becoming that, we trade Dumba and keep him.

Either way, Wild aren't letting themselves get cucked like they did last expansion draft.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
This thread is weird. Bones is a far better hockey player than Kunin. Kunin is younger, that’s it. I really don’t think Kunin is anything special. Minnesota gets the picks to make up for Bonino potentially not being a long term player for them. But make no mistake, he definitely improves them this next season as an upgrade over Kunin. And you can say they are tanking but they are going to be blooding some young players and Bonino is going to be a great guy to insulate their minutes and to learn from.

Many of Guerins moves deserve to get slammed...this is definitely not one of them.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
They are shipping Greenway out barring he becomes what he was coming up through the system quickly. If he ends up becoming that, we trade Dumba and keep him.

Either way, Wild aren't letting themselves get cucked like they did last expansion draft.
Doing a bad job of evaluating talent isn't getting cucked. It happened to a bunch of teams. Florida and Minnesota just did an awful job of recognizing the talent that was under their nose.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
This thread is weird. Bones is a far better hockey player than Kunin. Kunin is younger, that’s it. I really don’t think Kunin is anything special. Minnesota gets the picks to make up for Bonino potentially not being a long term player for them. But make no mistake, he definitely improves them this next season as an upgrade over Kunin. And you can say they are tanking but they are going to be blooding some young players and Bonino is going to be a great guy to insulate their minutes and to learn from.

Many of Guerins moves deserve to get slammed...this is definitely not one of them.

Yeah. Take a look at it this way either Minnesota traded Kunin for Bonino and got the 37th and 70th pick for the 101st pick or they traded Kunin for the 37th and 70th and got Bonino for the 101st pick. That's excellent value and Bonino can get a high pick at the deadline.

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
Bones is good for where he is in his career. He also plays great in the D zone when he has to. You didn't see a lot of 13 sweaters in the stands but I appreciated him while he was here.

Its almost a year to the day he tied the game up against the Caps in the 3rd with five minutes to go. That was one of our few memorable games last season.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Honest question, is Nashville going 4 + 4 or 7/3 in next year's draft? They are going to have to protect Josi, but Ekholm, Ellis, Fabbro don't have NMCs. I'm guessing they protect Forsberg, but doesn't Kunin just add another player they need to protect?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Honest question, is Nashville going 4 + 4 or 7/3 in next year's draft? They are going to have to protect Josi, but Ekholm, Ellis, Fabbro don't have NMCs. I'm guessing they protect Forsberg, but doesn't Kunin just add another player they need to protect?
We figured 4+4 but that makes this kind of a silly trade if so (Johansen, Duchene, Forsber, Arvidsson would be the 4). If there's anything to the rumors that we are going after a player like Hall, it makes it far more likely we go 7+3. I'd guess we try to move Ekholm or Ellis sometime before the expansion draft with Ekholm more likely the odd man out due to contract status (1 year left after this season) and age. We have a few defensive prospects that may be ready to make the jump this year or next anyway.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
Wild finally have a team with a lot of high end young talent. With that defense they'll probably still stumble their way into the playoffs. I'm more interested in the season after next and onwards.

To the rest of the league: Enjoy the expansion draft lol

No you don't. You have just a few young players in the pipeline to build around. You need a lot more. In other words, at least 3 years of sucking badly and drafting high.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
No you don't. You have just a few young players in the pipeline to build around. You need a lot more. In other words, at least 3 years of sucking badly and drafting high.
Fiala, Kaprizov, Rossi, Boldy, and Khovanov are/could be high end talent forwards. That's before getting into potential wild cards like Beckman, Firstov, Kushnuts, etc. Have two more 1st round picks for next year (would be nutty if Pittsburgh had a poor season) and a lot of pending UFAs that could be traded for more draft picks at the TDL. The top 4 is one of the best in the league. Just need a decent goaltender and our big Kahk might just be that.

grimmel95

Jan 13, 2016
Minnesota
Billy Guerin came in here and gave this team 1 year to see what it was made of. He didn't like what he saw and decided change needed to happen. Maybe the new director of amateur scouting was asked for his assessment of Donato, Kunin and others and maybe that's why Guerin is dealing them now because Brackett didn't like them as much as our previous management.

Also according to Russo (his podcast last night) and capfriendly the Wild after the 20-21 season have 40+ million free in cap space. This doesn't include signing a goalie via FA or trade or any of our current RFA's but that's ton of cash to work with to go get guys that Guerin wants here.

Bottom line is Guerin is shaking things up, building the team he believes will have the best chance in the future of going deep in the playoffs and making that run to the cup.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Kaprizov, Fiala, Boldy, Rossi, Nuts, Firstov, Beckman and Khovanov are nice pieces to start rebuilding around and that isn't a few. Eriksson-Ek isn't that old either. Johansson, Bjugstad and Bonino are probably gone after this season. Parise and Zuccs are the only ones really left from the previous regimes. It's a huge and remarkable turnaround. As well, you don't need to suck badly and draft high to do a successful turnaround.

As it stands in 3 years:

Kaprizov - Rossi - Fiala
Boldy - Khovanov/Nuts - ???

The biggest hole right now is that second line right winger, and really with the drafting and with the cap space, Minnesota can trade or sign a right wing easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad