Confirmed with Link: [NSH/MIN] Fiala for Granlund

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Top 15 foward in the league? No. But these are RW stats from the last 3 years (Since his breakout):
94c559f05b3c5094da8b129dd1e29d52.png

You literally traded Fiala for a top 10 RW in the league.

Pretty good company.

Really what the above shows me is how much of a god Kuch is. Lord have mercy.

Reactions: jumb0

Double

Feb 14, 2008
Wild fan here, have watched Granlund for his entire career. Here's what you're getting:

Hugely competitive. Never, ever questioned his effort level. It's high.

Unbelievable skill level, wonderful playmaker. He will make some passes that you won't believe, especially when you see it on replay.

Not afraid to play physical. Doesn't back down, & every once in a while will deliver a hard, clean check of his own.

The biggest knock on him, especially this season- has been his penchant to defer to a pass-first mentality. This got really bad this season, leading to a 37 game stretch in which he only scored two goals. Absurd for a player of his skill level. But also something that should be remedied in short order if surrounded with the right cast of characters.

The reason the Wild moved Granlund is this: His cap hit currently sits at $5.75MM, through the 2019-2020 season. After which, he will be asking for a raise. Fenton had to decide if he thought Granlund was worth upwards of $8MM after next season. If that answer was 'No', which I agree with- then the time to move on from Granlund was now. The closer he got to UFA status, the less leverage the club had. Really, this is all that moving him came down to.

I'd expect the change of scenery to do him well. Wouldn't at all be surprised to see him totally take off in a new environment. I'd expect him to become an instant fan favorite in Nashville. You guys will love him.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Wild fan here, have watched Granlund for his entire career. Here's what you're getting:

The biggest knock on him, especially this season- has been his penchant to defer to a pass-first mentality. This got really bad this season, leading to a 37 game stretch in which he only scored two goals. Absurd for a player of his skill level. But also something that should be remedied in short order if surrounded with the right cast of characters..

He will fit in well here then, as we already have our own version of that- Johansen- lol

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Granlund will be an interesting case study so to speak to see if our depth and committee approach to offense really does deflate guys stats. He's a 65-70 point scorer coming to a team that hasn't had a guy score 65 in a decade. Have to wonder if he stays at that level or if he's closer to 55-60 because of how much we spread out the scoring. I bring that up because that might affect what he gets in free agency. Numbers aren't everything but they certainly help.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
Top 15 foward in the league? No. But these are RW stats from the last 3 years (Since his breakout):
94c559f05b3c5094da8b129dd1e29d52.png

You literally traded Fiala for a top 10 RW in the league.

Elite level playmaker for his position. That's what were hoping to get out of him. The PP needs a creative player.

Seeing Kessel with those assist numbers is weird but he has turned into a pretty damn good passer throughout his career.

Unbelievable skill level, wonderful playmaker. He will make some passes that you won't believe, especially when you see it on replay.

Not afraid to play physical. Doesn't back down, & every once in a while will deliver a hard, clean check of his own.

The biggest knock on him, especially this season- has been his penchant to defer to a pass-first mentality. This got really bad this season, leading to a 37 game stretch in which he only scored two goals. Absurd for a player of his skill level. But also something that should be remedied in short order if surrounded with the right cast of characters.

The reason the Wild moved Granlund is this: His cap hit currently sits at $5.75MM, through the 2019-2020 season. After which, he will be asking for a raise. Fenton had to decide if he thought Granlund was worth upwards of $8MM after next season. If that answer was 'No', which I agree with- then the time to move on from Granlund was now. The closer he got to UFA status, the less leverage the club had. Really, this is all that moving him came down to.

I'd expect the change of scenery to do him well. Wouldn't at all be surprised to see him totally take off in a new environment. I'd expect him to become an instant fan favorite in Nashville. You guys will love him.

We have plenty of shooters. We have plenty of right hand shooters. The problem has been, especially on the PP, our shooters are trying to create and that isn't their strong point. On the PP he should be valuable setting up all the right hand shots we have. At even strength, assuming he plays with Turris and Smith, hopefully he can set those guys up for more consistent scoring chances

I kind of like the idea of pairing Joey and Arvy on one line and Granlund and Forsberg on the other though. The top two lines can have two 1st talents to balance out scoring.

Granlund will be an interesting case study so to speak to see if our depth and committee approach to offense really does deflate guys stats. He's a 65-70 point scorer coming to a team that hasn't had a guy score 65 in a decade. Have to wonder if he stays at that level or if he's closer to 55-60 because of how much we spread out the scoring. I bring that up because that might affect what he gets in free agency. Numbers aren't everything but they certainly help.

Granlund doesn't exactly come from a offensive powerhouse but it will be interesting to see.

Prediculous

May 11, 2018
Redding, CA
Damn this was an amazing trade. Fiala may reach the level of Granlund, he may not. Fact of the matter is, Granlund fits the age of our core much better and is really good line driver and will be great on our 2nd line.

I'm seeing the vision here for our second line. I think with improvements to Eeli's game in the summer next season we will see a:

Granlund-Turris-Tolvanen line

Which is the Finnish version of our first line if Tolvanen figures out how to put the puck in the net at this level, this is my wet dream come true.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Damn this was an amazing trade. Fiala may reach the level of Granlund, he may not. Fact of the matter is, Granlund fits the age of our core much better and is really good line driver and will be great on our 2nd line.

I'm seeing the vision here for our second line. I think with improvements to Eeli's game in the summer next season we will see a:

Granlund-Turris-Tolvanen line

Which is the Finnish version of our first line if Tolvanen figures out how to put the puck in the net at this level, this is my wet dream come true.
I also had this thought. Granlund should help Eeli a lot. He is a great role model who plays with heart and has an amazing work ethic to better himself in the areas he's lacking.

Prediculous

May 11, 2018
Redding, CA
I also had this thought. Granlund should help Eeli a lot. He is a great role model who plays with heart and has an amazing work ethic to better himself in the areas he's lacking.

Eeli's ceiling and Granlund compliment eachother perfectly on offense. I also still have faith in Turris especially with a consistent 2nd line that isnt always rotating around. He has no chemistry with anyone really, this would be good for him.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I'm looking forward to watching more Nashville games. I have always rooted for them in the PO's if MN isn't in it, but now I'll def be rooting for them.

I think Fiala will find his stride here in MN. He really is fun to watch and is dynamic. I have a feeling 24-30 year old Fiala will be very good.

Prediculous

May 11, 2018
Redding, CA
I'm looking forward to watching more Nashville games. I have always rooted for them in the PO's if MN isn't in it, but now I'll def be rooting for them.

I think Fiala will find his stride here in MN. He really is fun to watch and is dynamic. I have a feeling 24-30 year old Fiala will be very good.

A Fiala without his head buried deep in his ass could definitely be a very good player for you all in the future.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
We have plenty of shooters. We have plenty of right hand shooters. The problem has been, especially on the PP, our shooters are trying to create and that isn't their strong point. On the PP he should be valuable setting up all the right hand shots we have. At even strength, assuming he plays with Turris and Smith, hopefully he can set those guys up for more consistent scoring chances

Setting up right hand shooters at PP is what he excels

Two identical goals in one game, problem with Minnesota was they had no system or game book to benefit setups like these

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006

I can see a change of scenery being good for Fiala. The problem here was never about talent. Attitude was an issue here. If he can clean that up he'll be a good player for a long time. I'm not sure he'll ever be as good as Granlund though. That's what makes this a steal.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm not so sure that's not why both Fiala and Hartman weren't moved, two guys worried way too much about numbers and contract rather than playing good solid hockey.

Fiala had the attitude issues coming in we knew about, Hartman wasn't like by coach Q when he was in Chicago for some reason. May be one of those additions by subtraction type of things.

Reactions: preds1

zhok

Feb 10, 2018
I think Poile did well overall. For the first time, he traded contributing roster players (2!) while being a buyer. It's not done a lot, but this team was in OBVIOUS need of a shake up. I can't see a scenario with us where Fiala "gets it", maybe the Wild can knock a pulse into the guy. Grandlund is solid. Seems to be an obvious upgrade, atleast for the next 2 years.

Not as sold on Simmonds at his age, but glad we're just not relying on him for the boost. Hartman was a mistake, and glad we cut our loses.

Boyle was a reach for 2nd rounder, but hopefully he and Simmonds can provide that needed grit.

Feel better about the team than yesterday. Maybe we have a chance.

b0rn2beWild

Dec 8, 2011
He'll help your (31st best) powerplay a lot. Not only his vision and these beautiful saucers from right (or left, no matter)halfwall but he is also one of the best players to bring the puck to the O-zone. Kind of slalom style overriding defenders one-by-one.

Reactions: NoNecksCurse

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland

Granlund has been playing a shutdown line role in the Wild with almost 60% of starts being in the D-zone. He isn't the right kind of guy for this case study imo.

Reactions: Drake744

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Granlund will most likely be played in a more offensive role (than in MN) and definitely will get PP time. He will get a lot of points in form of PP assists, that is trivially easy to predict.

hockey diva

RIP Pred303
Sponsor
May 17, 2010
Beleriand
I wonder how effective he really will be. He and fiancé have a newborn which is pretty stressful. Adding a move to a new team is a lot to handle.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I wonder how effective he really will be. He and fiancé have a newborn which is pretty stressful. Adding a move to a new team is a lot to handle.
Normally I would say she would stay up there and he would just stay with Pekka or someone until the end of the season, but with a newborn that could get crazy.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
The only things I might be worried about are possible fatigue and/or slight conditioning problems for a few days. Not really concerned about the lack of practice with us or anything. That obviously happens for any new player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad