Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Mikael Granlund re-signs with the Predators (1 year, $3.75M)

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Granlund sets high standards for himself and always wants to better himself. At the very least he will be the best predator version of Granlund.

He is always his hardest critic, so if fans are disappointed.. He will be more disappointed.

Reactions: FVM and LAINEC

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
It's a surprising move from a professional viewpoint. NSH and Granlund didn't seem like a match at all.

In terms of his personal life, this makes quite a bit of sense -- him and his wife have a 1-year-old, maybe they didn't want to take any risks in moving to another place during COVID times, especially after they recently lost their second child to miscarriage? And it's not like this is a horrible contract for Granlund, it is $3.75 million in a zero income tax state...

Reactions: mattihp

TheJudge

Mar 11, 2007
Anyone else see a rebound in the cards? I think a 60-65 point pace isn't out of the question.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Nashville has a ton of cap space so why the hell not? :laugh:

Most of us would rather see Tolvanen, Tomasino, Pitlick and Trenin given a shot instead.

At least it's a short year, but it would be nice to have something to actually look forward to this year instead of a guy who looks like an AHLer and needs 20 minutes of ice time to hit .50 ppg.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
The cap will be just as flat next year. Millions and millions is hyperbole in that respect. It’s going to suck just as bad to be a UFA next offseason.

A 1 million dollar difference in salary adds up over a few years.

Another year like the last two and he'll also struggle to get a long term contract. Before you know it he's a half point perimeter player on the wrong side of 30 looking for a contract.

This season is very important for his financial future.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Anyone else see a rebound in the cards? I think a 60-65 point pace isn't out of the question.
I mean, I didn't think a rebound was out of the question for Granlund objectively... IF he had signed with another team and found the chemistry that worked for him. He's visibly not a bad player. I understand how he could be successful in the right situation.

I don't think he's as good as Arvidsson on RW for us, though. I don't think I would break up our top line to accommodate him, therefore. And I don't think he plays at all well with Duchene in a 2nd line role. So in that sense, I don't see what value he adds either to our team, or to himself in re-inventing the broken wheel in Nashville. He simply should have signed somewhere else. For his own good.

Although who knows... now with Haula also signed, maybe there is a Haula-Granlund line that would somehow pan out. I want to see Jarnkrok-Haula-Granlund now and see if there is anything that could work there. A bit soft and light, but maybe in the right gameplan with the right matchups that could provide some middle-six production?
:dunno:

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
Most of us would rather see Tolvanen, Tomasino, Pitlick and Trenin given a shot instead.

At least it's a short year, but it would be nice to have something to actually look forward to this year instead of a guy who looks like an AHLer and needs 20 minutes of ice time to hit .50 ppg.

I guess David Poile feels differently. :help:

Reactions: Morrison

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
3.75M? Guy is a shell of his former self.

Loui Eriksson 2.0

Loui Eriksson has scored 0.32 and 0.27 points per game on last 2 seasons. Is signed long-term and for 6M.

How is Granlund comparable, if he has 3.75M contract, for risk free 1-year deal and produced 0.57 points per game under Hynes.

Everyone knows that Granlund is not his former shelf. But this recent contract is just in line with his latest efforts.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Kinda figured this would be the sort of contract he'd end up signing, ultimately...to try to re-establish his value. But why Nashville? He didn't fit there. I figured the smart play was to take a deal like this...offering to play for a team where he knew he'd have a shot at putting up some numbers again, and in a system he likes.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Kinda figured this would be the sort of contract he'd end up signing, ultimately...to try to re-establish his value. But why Nashville? He didn't fit there. I figured the smart play was to take a deal like this...offering to play for a team where he knew he'd have a shot at putting up some numbers again, and in a system he likes.
He is a smart and loyal guy. Management must have told him something that makes him confident that he can succeed. Be it a new role or a new line or something else.

With a small kid he probably looks for stability. Maybe the small family really likes Nashville?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad