Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Mikael Granlund re-signs with the Predators (1 year, $3.75M)

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I mean he played better under Hynes so I dont hate this. It'll be interesting to see how he does with a full "season" under Hynes. Maybe he plays well and cashes in next offseason.

Reactions: violaswallet

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Feel like he would have been better off signing for less anywhere else for the sake of his next contract.

38 points in 89 games as a Predator.

Has millions and millions on the line this season.
The cap will be just as flat next year. Millions and millions is hyperbole in that respect. It’s going to suck just as bad to be a UFA next offseason.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wouldn't have taken Granlund back, even at league minimum. Not because he's entirely terrible. He fluctuated between completely invisible for a lot of the time in Nashville peaking up to being our best forward for a 20-game stretch last winter. But in order to get him to be that peak forward he had to be played 20 minutes a night at the expense of just about everybody else in our forward group doing anything. And he was totally invisible again in the playoffs and showed no chemistry whatsoever with Duchene - and (perhaps also sadly for us) we need somebody who can find chemistry with Duchene.

I also wouldn't have taken him back just to outbid Columbus for him either. If that was part of the reasoning now that they're in our division. If they wanted him, I'd be happy for them to take him instead. He would strike no fear in me as an opponent and division rival.

The Preds needed to try something different. Granlund wasn't a fit. That was proven. And I can't imagine what he's thinking either. He's young enough that getting back on track somewhere else to line up his next contract should have been his priority too, not the $$$.
:madfire:

(So hopefully that rant looks awful a few months from now. I'll be happy if it does. Shocked. But happy. :propeller)

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Ehh don't really like this. He just wasn't a fit. Skill players need to play with guys they click with otherwise it's a grind just to be be useful for the team.

Granny is going to bust his butt but at the end of the day he's not a grinder, there's only so much he can do without any offensive flow.

I think this is more about the Preds feeling like they ran out of good options and just try to do whatever they can to ice the best team possible. Top 6 needed help no question. Could still add Hoffman i guess but even then overall depth skill-wise could've used some improvement.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckCity

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I would have taken him for that much, but the Pens are tapped out after going dumpster diving for crap.

Reactions: Morrison

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I love this so much. It’s hilarious to see how bent out of shape everyone here is that a higher end UFA didn’t change teams.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Didn't see this coming, at all....wow.

So...Granny's stock has fallen so much huh?...there were no takers???
He was forced to re-sign with the team that had no idea how to get the best out of him
how to give him a useful, proper role....

I'm predicting, after this season is over, he returns to Europe.....UN-F-REAL!!!
He was such an awesome player once, future super star in the making...
scoring goals points, a lot...and now...pfft...meh.

1) sucks that Minny drafted him
2) even more sucked that he was traded to Preds
- its always who you end playing for, when you end up playing for the wrong coaches, system
no matter how awesome player you are,..you get ruined, development gets ruined...sad really

Reactions: Morrison

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Believe me. That matters around here. Granlund on this site is a complete piece of shit now.

I think what he meant is that nobody cares that he went back to his old team. It's just an odd move for Granlund and Nashville after the season they just had.

If Granlund was a good fit last year in Nashville and he decided to re-sign there this season, nobody would say a thing. In fact I'm pretty sure nobody actually cares about Granlund staying with the Preds. He's a struggling middle six guy that just signed with a smaller market team that seems to be headed in the wrong direction of their competitive window. It's just surprising to see that reunion happen again after seeing last season.

Hoping the best for the Preds and Granlund though. They really could use any help they can get up front. I could see them making other moves, they have the cap space and a lot of teams are looking to trade good players on the cheap to be cap compliant.

Last edited:

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Didn't see this coming, at all....wow.

So...Granny's stock has fallen so much huh?...there were no takers???
He was forced to re-sign with the team that had no idea how to get the best out of him
how to give him a useful, proper role....

I'm predicting, after this season is over, he returns to Europe.....UN-F-REAL!!!
He was such an awesome player once, future super star in the making...
scoring goals points, a lot...and now...pfft...meh.

1) sucks that Minny drafted him
2) even more sucked that he was traded to Preds
- its always who you end playing for, when you end up playing for the wrong coaches, system
no matter how awesome player you are,..you get ruined, development gets ruined...sad really

There are players who can thrive in practically any system they're brought into (heck, Lee Stempniak played for ten different teams in his career and was around the same PPG on almost all of them), and then there are players like Granlund who need a precise system to succeed. The problem with Granlund is that he's not strong enough to play feisty like he tried in Nashville and he's not fast enough to play centre like he tried in Minnesota.

If you put him in the right spot, right system and give the right guys around him like he for a while had in Koivu and Zucker you'll get great results. If not, then you'll get what he's actually had most of his career: something underwhelming. You could say that his development was failed by the Wild, and that the pro scouting was failed by the Preds, but there also has to be a realization that Granlund was never a guy you could depend on carrying play on an NHL team.

I'm quite baffled he didn't sign with someone else, the Blue Jackets made the most sense to me, even if it was for considerably less money because it doesn't seem like it'll work out with the Preds for him. Nothing really changed in his game after the coaching change either. It's unfortunate for Poile since he built such a great foundation to add just a few pieces on offense to get them over the top and completely blew it. Feels like both sides are just spinning their wheels on this deal.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Gh24

Feb 12, 2014
Consistent effort that didn't translate to too many points. But it's not like he was the only forward who underperformed in terms of point production.

This might be better for Nsh than it is for Granlund. We'll see. I like the signing.

Reactions: Scoresberg

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
I think what he meant is that nobody cares that he went back to his old team. It's just an odd move for Granlund and Nashville after the season they just had.

If Granlund was a good fit last year in Nashville and he decided to re-sign there this season, nobody would say a thing. In fact I'm pretty sure nobody actually cares about Granlund staying with the Preds. He's a struggling middle six guy that just signed with a smaller market team that seems to be headed in the wrong direction of their competitive window. It's just surprising to see that reunion happen again after seeing last season.

Hoping the best for the Preds and Granlund though. They really could use any help they can get up front. I could see them making other moves, they have the cap space and a lot of teams are looking to trade good players on the cheap to be cap compliant.
Oh, believe me, it matters. All anyone ever cases about hockey wise here, outside of the success of their favourite team and the associated bragging rights, is player movement. If you can move teams, and don’t, you’re dead to this site.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Oh, believe me, it matters. All anyone ever cases about hockey wise here, outside of the success of their favourite team and the associated bragging rights, is player movement. If you can move teams, and don’t, you’re dead to this site.

I get what you're saying if it's July 1rst and Taylor Hall decides to re-sign in Pheonix but we are talking about a guy that had 30 points in 60 games and struggled a lot this season. Nobody cares if Granlund re-signed in Nashville especially at this point of the season where all rosters are pretty much set for the start of the season and fans already know what their roster will look like for the most part. Not only that but we've just seen another guy who had a better season last year sign for less than half the price. Nobody is envious of having Granlund on their team right now at that pricetag considering the situation around the league where teams have basically no cap space.

That would be like saying that fans from teams around the league are bent out of shape because Mike Smith re-signed in Edmonton. Nobody cares other than Oilers fans being dissapointed and for the other fans around the league they're probably just happy he's not on their team.

I still think it's a very odd choice for Granlund but at the same time there was probably not that many teams willing to give him nearly 4M just 2 weeks away from the season start.

Last edited:

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
I don’t get this from Granlund at all
Maybe he doesn't want to move his family to a new city for half a year during covid? To me Granlund doesn't seem like he makes choices based on just one criteria, like maximising career earnings.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Maybe he doesn't want to move his family to a new city for half a year during covid? To me Granlund doesn't seem like he makes choices based on just one criteria, like maximising career earnings.

I doubt he’s been staying in Nashville this whole time.
& It’s not just about getting max money, but a fit and getting a longterm contract next summer

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
All good. It’s not a bad contract for MiG in these circumstances. Familiar place and faces and things also looked much better for him under Hynes. You could do worse for a contract year.

Also not a bad deal for NSH since Poile and Hynes know what they are getting and at the some time understand that there still is quite an upside there. It’s a safe bet and they are not betting the house. You could do worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad