Confirmed Signing with Link: [NSH] Matt Carle (1 year, $700K)

Donzo

Jun 17, 2009
Denver, CO
If he just plays as a 6/7, this seems like a smart move. The only risk is if Laviolette overvalues veterans and plays Carle above his head, a la Sutter playing Scuderi with Doughty after the Kings traded for him this past season. But I don't know enough about Laviolette to say if that's something he might do.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
If he just plays as a 6/7, this seems like a smart move. The only risk is if Laviolette overvalues veterans and plays Carle above his head, a la Sutter playing Scuderi with Doughty after the Kings traded for him this past season. But I don't know enough about Laviolette to say if that's something he might do.

I don't see that happening, given the chemistry Ekholm\Ellis have. I know that there's been some lipservice given to breaking up Subban\Josi but I doubt it actually happens...so Carle pretty much is where he is.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I have no sympathy for Carle ... he didn't put the work in the off-season. He got fat and lazy on his UFA contract and just didn't care. These type of guys shouldn't be picked up and given any further contracts ... Lightning had to buy him out and he gets another contract. There should be some kind of GM unwritten law about giving these type of guys a second chance. Destroys a team's cap room, gets lazy on his contract, gets a huge buyout and then no worries ... I'll try again cause now I have another contract to sign. Its a disgrace.

Link?

PeterLax

Aug 23, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Ribeiro was one that worked.

Last year it was Jackman, Moses and Hodgson.

Not to mention Roy, Jokinen, and Volchenkov the same year as Ribeiro.

The percentage of it working out isn't that high, but these are all no risk signings, so really no downside. It's not like Carle will be holding back any Milwaukee/Lada D.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Not to mention Roy, Jokinen, and Volchenkov the same year as Ribeiro.

The percentage of it working out isn't that high, but these are all no risk signings, so really no downside. It's not like Carle will be holding back any Milwaukee/Lada D.

Volchenkov played alright here, Ribeiro has been a 60 point player, Jackman was meh...but also not really a reclamation project either.

Jokinen was the absolute most worthless player I can recall in recent memory, Roy seemed to play okay but never generated anything to show for it. Ditto Cody Hodgson, last season.

PeterLax

Aug 23, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Volchenkov played alright here, Ribeiro has been a 60 point player, Jackman was meh...but also not really a reclamation project either.

Jokinen was the absolute most worthless player I can recall in recent memory, Roy seemed to play okay but never generated anything to show for it. Ditto Cody Hodgson, last season.

Yeah, I mean, of all of those players, the only one you can really consider a success is Ribeiro, maybe Volchenkov/Jackman. It just shows how many reclamations you have to try before you strike gold, with someone like Ribeiro. I'm fine with Poile continuing to try this, who knows, maybe Weber or Carle can turn it around here.

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Bolts often play 7D and he could not make the team. Pushed out by youngsters Koekkoek and Nesterov for 6 and 7 D spots. Everyone was calling for Sustr head (if they could reach it) as Carle/Susrtr gave chance after chance. Then Sustr looked like a real #4 when partnered with Garrison.
He may be OK in Nashville as the #7/healthy scratch, but do not pair him with one of your young D (unless you are playing the Bolts).

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
700K is pretty much nothing, so no risk from Nashville's perspective.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Low risk signing.
Carle already knows how to play under his new Coach and will accept a diminuished role after having a couple of horrible seasons. If he regains any of his former confidence, he could surprise some people.

tjs*

Mar 18, 2016
It's difficult to say anything too harsh about a no-risk signing where you can bury the player with zero cap hit if he doesn't work out. That said this thread really puts things into perspective: we couldn't wait to be rid of him while some poor Nashville fans are actually calling him an improvement on what they have. If that is actually the case you all have my deepest sympathies.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
It's difficult to say anything too harsh about a no-risk signing where you can bury the player with zero cap hit if he doesn't work out. That said this thread really puts things into perspective: we couldn't wait to be rid of him while some poor Nashville fans are actually calling him an improvement on what they have. If that is actually the case you all have my deepest sympathies.

I think us Nashville fans are fine with the depth of our defensemen.

I know I wouldn't trade ours for yours.....

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com

And maybe he'll be just as bad as in Nashville. Or maybe, with a change of scenery, he'll be closer to the player he used to be. No one should be speaking in absolutes.

Appreciate your sympathy, but if Matt Carle as our sixth defenseman is going to break what is probably the best defensive unit in the NHL, then there's something else going on.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
And maybe he'll be just as bad as in Nashville. Or maybe, with a change of scenery, he'll be closer to the player he used to be. No one should be speaking in absolutes.

Appreciate your sympathy, but if Matt Carle as our sixth defenseman is going to break what is probably the best defensive unit in the NHL, then there's something else going on.
In fairness though, our top pairings play a lot more than Tampa's, so their bottom pairings have to play more.

I mean there he was playing almost 17 minutes a game. I think here he'll play closer to 13, much like Jackman and Bitetto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad