Confirmed with Link: NSH/EDM Hendricks for Dubnyk

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Can't be more deflating than some of the goals our goalie Hutton has let in. If so, then we have some serious problems...lol. Hendrick is a decent grinder and plays decent defensively. If offense or a playmaker is what you need though, which is what we need then he wouldn't be your guy. If you just need a guy that is a hard worker and grinder, then he might be your man.

Honestly, they are. He lets in dump ins. That said, most of Dubnyk's problems this year stem from the extremely unorthodox style he's developed. With the way he plays, you'll think he's 5'5. He's not very mobile, and when he goes into the butterfly, he crouches down really small, pulls his pads in parallel, and drops his hands, which in turn lifts his stick. With enough work and some solid coaching to get him back on track, he can still be a solid goalie. It just wasn't going to happen in Edmonton. I hope he can rebound for you guys. I've always liked your team, and Jones is one of my favorite young players

In regards to Hendricks, all we need is for him to be a gritty 4th line center who can win faceoffs, so he should hopefully be a pretty good fit

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
We moved a 4th liner who performed well in that role for a goalie who has more experience, but isn't much of a statistical upgrade than our current duo. A good job shedding an overpayment but we'll have to wait and see if it improves anything between the pipes.

This seems pretty fair, I am curious why every one is so down on Hendricks. from what I have seen he is a good player and even worth the contract, just that you guys have so many players like him. I am not sure why you ever signed him.

Good luck with Dubs. I never really liked him. He is just slow. I personally think the new rules (smaller pads, smaller nets) just did him in this year. That being said he is a NHL goalie, just don't expect a starter.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Surprised at all the Hendricks hate as well. Heard good things but didn't know much about him.

People talk about shedding cap space here like the money is coming out of their own pocket.

Agree with Okgooil.

Huge flaws in Dubs game. Huge. Might be fixable but... probably not.

Those consistent back breaking softies are so hard to watch as a fan or as a player I imagine.

Even when Dub was playing well statistically he still would periodically lose the puck in traffic or just flat out miss weak scoring chances.

Still, will be curious to see how he does behind a better defense.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Hey Preds fans...I see many of you are rejoicing about losing Hendricks, just like many of us are rejoicing about losing Dubnyk. It was no secret Mactavish neverhad any intentions of keeping him beyond this year as he was after Schneider at the draft, Anti Raanta and was rumored to be in on Bernier. For those who think Poile fleeced Mactavish, Mactavish was goalie hunting all summer and this may have shot Dubnyk's confidence all to hell going into the season, but instead of embracing the challenge and proving himself, he got worse. Maybe a small part of it had a bit to do with the new 26" goalie stick rule, but many other tall goalies like Lehner and Bishop adjusted just fine. Factoring in they signed Dubnyk's off-season training buddy in Labarbera to back him up, this was viewed as a backup signing who would not push for Dubnky's starting job. Funny how he started playing a bit better once Labarbera was dumped and Bryzgalov was brought in, which coincides with what another Oilers fan said on your board earlier. Despite his save percentage last year, I never thought he was very good...for such a tall guy, he plays goalie like he's 5'3 and gives up a lot of bad goals. I watch almost every Oilers game and I can really only recall one or two games where he outright stole the game for the Oilers. There is no doubt in my mind the Oilers would have and should have had between 5-10 more wins earlier this season if not for some weak goaltending from Dubnyk. He may turn it around for you guys working under your goalie coach and behind a much better d-corp, we will find out in short order.

I wouldn't say this is a fleecing on the Preds part or the Oilers part...we are just happy we found someone to take Dubnyk. In my opinion, this boils down to a good, old fashioned hockey trade as both players fill a much needed role on their new teams.

Can't be more deflating than some of the goals our goalie Hutton has let in. If so, then we have some serious problems...lol. Hendrick is a decent grinder and plays decent defensively. If offense or a playmaker is what you need though, which is what we need then he wouldn't be your guy. If you just need a guy that is a hard worker and grinder, then he might be your man.

Remember that soft, 10 mile an hour floating "dump in" Legwand shot from centre ice during one of the Predator's home games last season that somehow went in? That was against the Oilers and it was on Dubnyk.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
This seems pretty fair, I am curious why every one is so down on Hendricks. from what I have seen he is a good player and even worth the contract, just that you guys have so many players like him. I am not sure why you ever signed him.
I don't think it was directed to him personally, it was just his contract. This year I think his pay was fine, but the next few years was way too much money for a 4th liner. Honestly, his numbers aren't that far off from his last 2 seasons, but I think the opportunity to trade for a goalie came up and since we had an excess of something the Oilers needed, it made sense to move his contract. He's a really nice guy and a good locker room and team guy. I'm probably the only one that was happy to have him here, I was disappointed when we traded him in the first place all those years ago. I wish him luck in Edmonton!

You're right though, we do have too many of the same parts.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The hate for Hendricks was based upon a contract that he should never have gotten. Term and money were way too much based on his production level. 4 points this is too little for a guy that makes close to 2 million a season.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.

Good luck with Dubs. I never really liked him. He is just slow. I personally think the new rules (smaller pads, smaller nets) just did him in this year. That being said he is a NHL goalie, just don't expect a starter.

I'm not down on him. He is a 4th liner. What he provides is defensively responsible play with a willingness to stick up for his teammates and the ability to chip in a few (quite literally) points at even strength. He isn't a prolific scorer or setup guy.

My only problem with him was his contract length and cost ... simply too much money for too long on a 4th liner who isn't going to lead the league in any category nor is he going to fill roles on higher lines for prolonged periods of time.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Good Trade for us. When we signed him it reminded me a lot of getting Jed Ortmeyer years ago. NYR fans (I think) loved him for what he did. But we already had plenty of it and he did not stand out

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I have seen many people ask why the Predator's fans are happy about dumping the contract as if it were coming out of our own pocket. The thing is Poile spent a lot of money in the offseason and put us very close to the cap. Moving some of that money gives us hope that we will have more to work with in the offseason to sign/trade for a player that will fit our needs more. Dubnyk is simply a stop gap and while he hasn't played well recently he does have NHL experience. Something our current goalies lack.

TLDR:We moved a long term contract freeing up 2m in cap while also filling a short term need. I'm not sure Poile could have pulled off a better trade for Nashville.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
It's not so much that Hendricks is a bad player (he's certainly not great, though) nor is it the $1.8 (though $800k too much). It's the 4 year deal. I like the Cullen signing because it gives us a speedy vet center on a TWO year deal. Being locked into giving a roster spot to Hendricks for 3 more seasons after this one is brutal.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Hendricks was over paid and there are about 400 other guys like him on the roster.

This isn't hate it's frustration

Predarat

Aug 16, 2005
As far as Hendricks goes, he is not terrible, but if you have ever seen the movie A Christmas Story the phrase "Got a whole g**damned team of utility infielders." comes to mind. The Preds a whole team of utility 3rd/4th line forwards. Put with the right players Hendricks might find some production with the Oil, no im not talking 30 goals, but I could see the 10-15 range.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
As a person, Dubby is great. He has had a terrible year between the pipes and I kept waiting for him to get out of his "slump". Never happened.

He can be great or gawd awful. No in-between.

Treat him well, he's a good guy.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
I didn't hate Hendricks either, we just have too many of him on the team and he would be the first to go. He never stood out, good or bad. Not sure why Poile signed all of the grinders at the same time anyways.

MrHenley

Jan 16, 2012
It's about time. Not thrilled with Dubnyk but we finally attempted to address our biggest issue. Pekka goes down in October and we waited until late January to replace Hutton and excuse (never should have been asked to have this role) Maz

Nashville Transplant

Feb 28, 2013
Nash/LA
fact not mentioned: Dubnyk and Bartley were junior teammates in Kamloops. At least it's nice to know he walked into the Preds room and had an immediate connection.

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
So Edmonton played last night and started Scrivens. After watching the highlights there is no golaie in the league that could have stolen that game. Edmonton just doesn't know how to play D. I really think we got a steal here with Dubs.

Predsrule

Nov 18, 2008
So Edmonton played last night and started Scrivens. After watching the highlights there is no golaie in the league that could have stolen that game. Edmonton just doesn't know how to play D. I really think we got a steal here with Dubs.
We got a steal by getting rid of a bad contract for a ufa add to that fact they are splitting the cost of the ufa and there's a chance he fills a big hole for us as a ok back up. Then this trade was a very good thing for us. I also look at this trade as gainig the cap space for another 3 years and hope this time it doesn't get put into the 4th Line

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday
Hey Preds fans...I see many of you are rejoicing about losing Hendricks, just like many of us are rejoicing about losing Dubnyk. It was no secret Mactavish neverhad any intentions of keeping him beyond this year as he was after Schneider at the draft, Anti Raanta and was rumored to be in on Bernier. For those who think Poile fleeced Mactavish, Mactavish was goalie hunting all summer and this may have shot Dubnyk's confidence all to hell going into the season, but instead of embracing the challenge and proving himself, he got worse. Maybe a small part of it had a bit to do with the new 26" goalie stick rule, but many other tall goalies like Lehner and Bishop adjusted just fine. Factoring in they signed Dubnyk's off-season training buddy in Labarbera to back him up, this was viewed as a backup signing who would not push for Dubnky's starting job. Funny how he started playing a bit better once Labarbera was dumped and Bryzgalov was brought in, which coincides with what another Oilers fan said on your board earlier. Despite his save percentage last year, I never thought he was very good...for such a tall guy, he plays goalie like he's 5'3 and gives up a lot of bad goals. I watch almost every Oilers game and I can really only recall one or two games where he outright stole the game for the Oilers. There is no doubt in my mind the Oilers would have and should have had between 5-10 more wins earlier this season if not for some weak goaltending from Dubnyk. He may turn it around for you guys working under your goalie coach and behind a much better d-corp, we will find out in short order.

I wouldn't say this is a fleecing on the Preds part or the Oilers part...we are just happy we found someone to take Dubnyk. In my opinion, this boils down to a good, old fashioned hockey trade as both players fill a much needed role on their new teams.

Remember that soft, 10 mile an hour floating "dump in" Legwand shot from centre ice during one of the Predator's home games last season that somehow went in? That was against the Oilers and it was on Dubnyk.

i dont think anyone think anyone got fleeced. Preds fans are just happy we got rid of a redundant piece for a serviceable goalie whom which we need despesratly

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
Dubs is starting tonight. I really want to see how well he does playing with a great D in front of him.

Good Luck Dubs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad