[NSH-COL] Kuemper is clipped through the mask with Johansen's stick. Kuemper tries to make his way to the bench but collapses to the ice part way.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Probably the dear of not being able to see again?
I think you meant to say fear instead of dear, but in any regard your right. It took him 5 secs to try and likely try and see and realized his injury to his eye was more severe then just shaking it off and when you can’t see the human reaction would be to just fall down because now your in fear of possibly hacing A life changing injury. To summarize “fear” is the reason he fell down, very understandable. I would have reacted the same way

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020

I thought it might be intentional just because he kept pushing his stick in further even when Kuemper backed up and tried to push the stick out with his glove. But from this angle it looks like he kept pushing because he was fighting for position with MacKinnon and that's why it might have seemed liked he kept pushing his stick further in seemingly intentionally. Still might have been somewhat purposely placed if not fully intentional but this angle makes me think it might have just been incredibly bad luck regarding all the circumstances.

kitsel

Mar 31, 2012
I hope he’s ok, but that’s a horrible mask design. There’s no way a stick blade should be able to get through a mask.

If the cage is slightly bent or the puck is a little chunked, the puck can fit through the cage too. Really uncommon, but I've seen a couple goalies get split open by a puck getting stuck in the cage, and a couple others get the puck stuck in there but narrowly avoid injury. Almost impossible it happens in the NHL because pro goalies are switching out their cages if they're bent and worn/chunked pucks aren't being used.

For my money though, I have always preferred the "cheater" cage popularized by Tim Thomas. The vision isn't quite as good as a cat eye but is miles better than a certified cage, and sticks and pucks can't fit through them.

DSC_0049.jpg

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I don’t think Johansen intended to hit Kuemper in the eye, but I’m pretty damn well sure he intended to push his mask with his stick and make it look like an accident. I think he was frustrated on his way to losing three games in a row and was trying to do some dirty antics to anger the Avs, hoping to get them off their game.

Watch this entire shift below. He gives Makar a little shot to the face on the dump in. Then holding his stick with both hands he grazes Makar in the face with his stick. Then for some reason he’s got his stick pointed towards Kuemper’s face with the puck going the other way, and pushes forward with it. What possible reason does he have to push forward with his stick when the puck is going the other way?

If anyone thinks he “accidentally” hit someone in the face 3 times in 10 seconds, I got a bridge to sell you.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Holy cow, that looked awful from the original clip. Very glad to hear Kuemper wasn't seriously/permanently injured and can come back.

Jesus, eye stuff is scary as hell.
I hope he’s ok, but that’s a horrible mask design. There’s no way a stick blade should be able to get through a mask.

Also kind of what I thought: that modern mask design made this all but impossible. Of course, now I see it's happened in the recent past so obviously I was ignorant there, but I just assumed the bars on the cage were designed to make sure something stick blade size couldnt get through.

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
Holy cow, that looked awful from the original clip. Very glad to hear Kuemper wasn't seriously/permanently injured and can come back.

Jesus, eye stuff is scary as hell.

Also kind of what I thought: that modern mask design made this all but impossible. Of course, now I see it's happened in the recent past so obviously I was ignorant there, but I just assumed the bars on the cage were designed to make sure something stick blade size couldnt get through.
Cateye cage is just big enough to fit a stick blade through if it is perfectly placed.

Asking goalies to go away from that...is kinda like asking why players don't just use a full shield.

In hockey, everyone goes out there making choices accepting that there is some risk inherent in the sport and those choices.

Backcheckmonster3

Aug 19, 2018
That's a happy outcome. I wonder what made him topple then. Maybe it just triggered a bunch of pain somehow

When you get hit in the eye, which might be filled with blood, you can easily panic and fear loss of sight. a one-eyed goalie has no use, if that´s the case it´s a career ender.

Also these masks.. have wondered when this will happen, looks dangerously open, really no way to block the angle somehow on the masks without impairing there sight?

Last edited:
Reactions: klozge

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
That's a happy outcome. I wonder what made him topple then. Maybe it just triggered a bunch of pain somehow
You ever got poked in the eye? Hurts like hell in the first moment, goes away after a few minutes if not too serious. If his eye is swollen, the pain must have been quite bad.

Cateye cage is just big enough to fit a stick blade through if it is perfectly placed.

Asking goalies to go away from that...is kinda like asking why players don't just use a full shield.

In hockey, everyone goes out there making choices accepting that there is some risk inherent in the sport and those choices.
Exactly this.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Not the first time this has happened. You'd think the NHL would've mandated a mask that doesn't allow this. Such a simple fix for something that can potentially be career threatening.

Reactions: johan f

ratmanfu

Jun 23, 2004
Hendersonville, NC
Watching this entire sequence up through Kuemper’s collapse on the ice has my nerves twisted.

I injured my left eye a few years ago when a bungee strap came loose and the plastic hook snapped into my eye. Luckily, it hit the white part but the pain was significant.

I freaked out when it happened, couldn’t see for a few hours, and initially feared I permanently damaged the eye. Vision slowly restored, but I developed a bunch of floaters.

Every time I recall the event, I get anxious thinking of how close it was to being a life changing injury.

In retrospect, I feel that Kuemper’s reaction is impressively composed.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Well, we figured out why scoring is way up this year. Goalies no longer have any depth perception

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Sounds like a good outcome to a scary situation.

Got to work hard on keeping that swelling down though. We’ve all had black eyes/swelling. Amazing how just a little cuts down your field of vision.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's good to hear that he didn't have any debilitating injury from that. I too was frightened when I saw that play.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Masks that can be easily penetrated are just stupid.
Masks worn by “amateur” goalies in the ncaa and CHL have to be certified for safety. So they are used to wearing them until they are 20. But they all opt for the cat eye masks when they go pro. No different than players ditching the visor when they turned pro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad