[NSH-COL] Kuemper is clipped through the mask with Johansen's stick. Kuemper tries to make his way to the bench but collapses to the ice part way.

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
Terrible. The new style goalie cages were always a risk. If I recall correctly width of the puck is the bare minimum for the opening of the 'cat' eyes. Look how players are crafting their stick blades these days and tell me it still holds up. Checkerboard cages should be the standard

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Playing minor hockey with a cage and you completely forget it's there. You don't see anything. At least that's what I remember, I wear a visor now and haven't worn a cage in 20 years but I don't remember sight being an issue.
I don't think there's any question there'd be an adjustment. Just like when someone that wears glasses switches to a smaller frame or to bifocals. You have to move your head more instead of just your eyes.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I can completely relate. Sometimes I'm an idiot and take a shower with my (hard) contact lenses in my eyes, and if I get shampoo in my eyes, it gets trapped between my lens and my eye. The burning pain from that literally brings me to my knees. I can't blink it out so I have to crawl out of the shower and pull the lens out, tell myself to never shower with my contact lenses ever again, and then do it again anyway later, because I'm an idiot.
I can top that...

I sleep with a fan on me. I'm such a dummy, my eye lids open when I'm asleep (happens to more people than you think) and my eyes dry out from the fan - the pain is insane. I tried taping my eyes shut but getting up to go the bathroom became dangerous.

I am king idiot. :)

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I guess this happened to him in Arizona too.

I get having the cats eye large enough to allow for the best possible visibility, but I don't see why there couldn't be the equivalent to a visor over those openings. Leave the rest open to try and avoid fogging.
As a former goalie I would prefer a visor to a cage. Would look cool too

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I wonder what happened that took him down like that yet doesn't cause him to be out a while?

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Never seen that before. Just unlucky. Hope he’s ready to go for the second round. If not, it’s yet another playoffs down the drain. Francouz isn’t going to get it done when we have to face other teams’ #1’s.

Edit:

Probably give him a break in game 4, and if we can’t win that shootout, bring him back for game 5 at home. Just don’t need to force it right now.

Last edited:

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Sounds like you're contradicting yourself. Was it incidental or not? If not, do you think a player can accurately poke a goalie in the face through his mask as he's skating by? That's an absurd take.
Doesn't matter if it is intentional or not, its a high sticking penalty at minimum but you know, 2 (4) blind mice...and Bettman/Daly's desire to not improve officiating...

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Could've been disastrous for Kuemper. I mean God forbid he lost an eye or was blinded in one eye.

Most definitely would've been disastrous for Colorado moving forward. In terms of on ice.

Appears everything is okay on all fronts.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Surprised this doesn't happen more often. I don't really get why the caging is so small on the masks, even a puck can almost squeeze through.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Oof! I hope Kuemper's ok. When I played goal I always used the full goalie cage, without those giant eye holes, because I always imagined something like this happening to me. This is like seeing my nightmare actually play out, but in someone elses life. Yikes! Get better fast Kuemper.

Reactions: Gjman2019

snag

Feb 22, 2014
I can completely relate. Sometimes I'm an idiot and take a shower with my (hard) contact lenses in my eyes, and if I get shampoo in my eyes, it gets trapped between my lens and my eye. The burning pain from that literally brings me to my knees. I can't blink it out so I have to crawl out of the shower and pull the lens out, tell myself to never shower with my contact lenses ever again, and then do it again anyway later, because I'm an idiot.

HAHA...I remember having suicide wings at the bar and then going home and doing the routine of washing my hands and taking out my contacts. NEVER get that shit off the fingers....and my eyes told me so.

Then a few weeks later, because I would rotate through a few pairs, I got back to that pair without even thinking......went for round 2. Took me a bit to figure out wtf was going on LOL (time that passed plus the fact I had drank a bit that night).

Laser eye surgery was the best money I ever spent. :)

That said, I hope Kuemper is alright.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad