Now who's the best active player without a Cup?

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Ovi has 46% more career goals then Crosby... he has 3 harts and something like 7 rockets. Ovi is clearly the better player.

Ovechkin regular season
1003 games
1122 points

Ovechkin playoffs
121 games
117 points

Ovechkin totals
1124 games
1239 points

Crosby regular season
864 games
1116 points

Crosby playoffs
160 games
185 points

Crosby totals between regular season and playoffs
1024 games
1301 points

So Crosby is above point per game in both the regular season and playoffs while Ovechkin is only above point per game in the regular season and is only 6 points ahead of Crosby in points in the regular season while playing in 139 more regular season games. Crosby has more points combined between the regular season and playoffs in fewer total games played. Crosby is clearly the better player especially when you add him playing the harder position at center.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
Feel like you need a qualifier to accurately answer this (e.g., at least 10 years in the league). Using that qualifier, the answer is Joe Thornton. Otherwise, the answer is obviously McDavid.

Tweedsuitcase

Sep 28, 2009
Who is the best franchise guy who is running out of time. Stamkos.

Mcdavid too young, and if Thornton, Marleau, Luongo, or Lundqvist win a cup, they will be a support player.
That's the thing i couldn't put my finger on. None of these players are going to LEAD a team to the Cup at this stage in their career like OV just did. maybe stamkos has the potential.
I feel bad looking at how lundqvist has performed without one (though i'm no Rangers fan).

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Top 10 active NHL players without Stanley Cup title

NHL.com ranks them:

1. Lundqvist
2. Thornton
3. Stamkos
4. Karlsson
5. Price
6. Marleau
7. Tavares
8. Rinne
9. Subban
10. Giroux

Price is a good pick that I hadn't thought of. He's a bit over 30 now. Been at the top of his position for years, and usually is carrying his team when they are winning.

Jumbo Joe is #1 on my list, followed by Luongo, Lundqvist, Marleau.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Ovechkin regular season
1003 games
1122 points

Ovechkin playoffs
121 games
117 points

Ovechkin totals
1124 games
1239 points

Crosby regular season
864 games
1116 points

Crosby playoffs
160 games
185 points

Crosby totals between regular season and playoffs
1024 games
1301 points

So Crosby is above point per game in both the regular season and playoffs while Ovechkin is only above point per game in the regular season and is only 6 points ahead of Crosby in points in the regular season while playing in 139 more regular season games. Crosby has more points combined between the regular season and playoffs in fewer total games played. Crosby is clearly the better player especially when you add him playing the harder position at center.
Yes crosby gets more secondary assists... goals which are the most important part of hockey Ovi obliterates him thus you are avoiding that catagory.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Yes crosby gets more secondary assists... goals which are the most important part of hockey Ovi obliterates him thus you are avoiding that catagory.

When someone gets a point it means he helped the team score a goal. More points means more impact on a team scoring goals. Secondary assists get underrated by people. Secondary assists can be what set up a goal so they are important.

Crosby is simply better overall player then Ovechkin.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007

If Secondary assists are so easy then why can't Ovi pick up a bunch of them? Oh that's right, because he rarely has the puck. And Do you think Ovi scores those goals without help? He needs someone to pass him the puck. Just look at the Caps PP setup.

LeafsFanHere

Nov 16, 2017
Mcdavid and Karlsson. They are the two best hockey players that play right now that have not won a cup. Mcdavid is really young, so I'm not sure if he is the right answer for this type of question.
Karlsson is not the #2 best player in the league, cmon ya homer

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Best? McDavid, but it's obvious why he doesn't have one yet.

Best career without a cup? Thornton for sure.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
Thornton and Lundqvist. Technically not the "best" as they aren't in their primes but they're ones that have had longest careers of prominence that would be "due".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad