Now who's the best active player without a Cup?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
He' not better then mario because jagr is as good as ovi . BUT Mario was obviously better then jagr ovi isn't better then Crosby . [mod]
Ovi has 46% more career goals then Crosby... he has 3 harts and something like 7 rockets. Ovi is clearly the better player.

Last edited by a moderator:

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
If we're talking classic older dude without a cup scenarios, it's Henrik and Thornton as the top two hands down for me. Then Marleau and Luongo. Then Suter, Spezza, and Weber.

But I think the next one to start to take the heat that Ovechkin/Thornton took is Stamkos. Luckily for him he's got some more years and a stacked team to make some runs in the immediate future.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Thornton’s Cup run is done. He’s not getting back to the dance, unless he’s takes a supporting role. I’m talking about players that are still significant contributors on their team.
If you go by that argument, McDavid, Karlsson, and arguably a few others are ahead of Stamkos. I think you need to look at the career as a whole for this type of question.

Reactions: Phu

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Ovi is an all-time great, and all-time greats are destined to win cups. All-time greats like Crosby, Ovechkin and Malkin currently, and future all-time greats like McDavid, Matthews and Eichel.

Stamkos is not an all-time great. That ship has sailed. He’s more Thornton level. Why talk in 5 years? We have already seen 10 years of Stamkos disappointment, and he will be surpassed by the next generation as early as next year.
I see a lot of butthurt in your future. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Ovi has 46% more career goals then Crosby... he has 3 harts and something like 7 rockets. Ovi is clearly the better player.
Yeah Ovis so good that it took him 1003 games to get 1122 points while Crosby has 6 less points playing 864 games that makes sense. Ovis played only 121 playoff games and isn't even a ppg. Crosby has played 160 playoff games and has 185 points. Yeah hes clearly better . U sure know what youre talking about

Reactions: Pouliot

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
-Mcdavid, because Edmonton wont be a contender for a long time and his clock is ticking like Ovi's was, who has a far better team in Washington

-Karlsson, because Ottawa is the worst team in the league now. He needs to get traded. Penguins would be a great fit for him.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Thornton or Marleau.

Tavares, Stamkos are next after them only because they are younger.

Not even going to talk about guys like McDavid, Matthews, Eichel or MacKinnon. All way too young. Will bring them up when they are late 20s if they haven't won by then.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Who is the best franchise guy who is running out of time. Stamkos.

Mcdavid too young, and if Thornton, Marleau, Luongo, or Lundqvist win a cup, they will be a support player.

chauron

Jan 5, 2014
Shame that Jagr couldnt have that, but he has not yet retired.

I’d say Thornton, he’s quite far in all time scoring list and does not have the cup

Reactions: Phu

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Exactly. He really doesn't.

The only people who technically deserve the cup are the ones who win/have won it. So by definition nobody who has not won a cup, hasn't deserved it so far. It goes for Thornton, Lundqvist as well as Luongo.

But wouldn't that defeat the purpose of this thread? Which in turns makes me question why you and those who are saying "player x doesn't deserve it" are participating in this thread other for just pissing on certain players.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
The only people who technically deserve the cup are the ones who win/have won it. So by definition nobody who has not won a cup, hasn't deserved it so far. It goes for Thornton, Lundqvist as well as Luongo.

But wouldn't that defeat the purpose of this thread? Which in turns makes me question why you and those who are saying "player x doesn't deserve it" are participating in this thread other for just pissing on certain players.

I just think Lundqvist's slightly unprofessional in past interviews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad