Post-Game Talk: Nov 12, 2016 | MIN 2 at PHI 3 (Neuvirth, LBI, out 4-to-6 weeks, from Nov. 13)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Anyone saying VdV is too inconsequential to cost us games must not have watched the last minute of the game. He was completely worthless and Minny worked his side of the side because of it. He had one opportunity to clear the zone but because he is slow as ****all he lost the race for the puck and it ended up staying in our zone another 30 seconds. If that was Giroux or Cousins out there, zone is cleared because they can skate and lay it all out there on the line in situations like that. VdV is a cardboard cut-out of a hockey player. It is literally playing shorthanded when he is on the ice, which means we are actually at a two-man disadvantage when he is out there on the PK or when the other team pulls their goalie.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Of course you can.

Imagine this terrible player is being used in important situations like, oh I don't know, the PK, when protecting a lead, in a 5v6 situation, or any of the other scenarios where you'd generally want a more defensively responsible player, like Raffl or Couts or Giroux or Read or Simmonds or Voracek or literally any other forward on the roster.

It's not the amount of minutes that's important, it's the quality of them, and the fact that this player is able to have such a negative impact while only playing a short amount of time. Also, if we're trying to be factual, in his last 5 games he's played 12:00, 13:03, 12:21, 9:42, and 12:52... quite a bit more than 8 minutes. Just look at the game against Toronto, he ****ing killed them by taking that idiotic penalty making it a 3v5.

His negative impact isn't being exaggerated. He's just really bad at hockey and I don't think he'd even be in the top 9 on the Phantoms so I have no clue how he makes his way there on the Flyers. The difference between Vandevelde and Raffl is about as large as the gap between Raffl and Giroux.

And if you respond to this with anything along the lines of "we have to remember that we're rebuilding", I'm going to strangle you.

I have a vision of hands reaching out of my computer screen. :laugh:

We survived Umberger and Vinnie last year, not to mention White and VdV as well, if VdV is the only left of that group, he's not the reason this team is struggling this year. The veteran D-men are a much bigger problem, they play 18-20 minutes a night, and until recently that was 2-3 of Streit, Schultz and MacDonald. To think Manning is an upgrade over all three of them!

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I have a vision of hands reaching out of my computer screen. :laugh:

We survived Umberger and Vinnie last year, not to mention White and VdV as well, if VdV is the only left of that group, he's not the reason this team is struggling this year. The veteran D-men are a much bigger problem, they play 18-20 minutes a night, and until recently that was 2-3 of Streit, Schultz and MacDonald. To think Manning is an upgrade over all three of them!

0856cb0d4664a61aa1569aa45cdeb450.jpg

Yeah he's not THE problem but he is A problem. The coaches job is to ice the best team possible, that means benching Vandevelde. Even a moderately sized problem is still a problem and why not fix it if it's easy to fix?

It's like driving car with engine problems and a flat tire. You don't just say "well I have a flat but I need to fix the engine so I'll drive drive on the flat until then". No, you fix the ****ing flat and then fix the engine when you can.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Why on earth would you not want to ice the best team possible? I do think we should all be really impressed with Manning so far this season. Really looks like a decent #6.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm cautious about critizing coaches until you get the inside info - we don't see these guys in practice or film room, we don't know who is blowing their assignments, etc. - we see who is beat physically, but we don't always know who is screwing up mentally.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm cautious about critizing coaches until you get the inside info - we don't see these guys in practice or film room, we don't know who is blowing their assignments, etc. - we see who is beat physically, but we don't always know who is screwing up mentally.

We have all watched Raffl and Lyubimov play this season. We all know they are better in every possible way.

The Flyers and 76ers should swap names at this point.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's very easy to see who's screwing up, just watch the games. Simple.

And the "we don't know what happens in practice" might be a valid excuse for the coach trying out a strange line, but it's not an excuse for playing trash players when there's better options. I mean maybe Vandevelde and Manning are curing cancer at practice but I doubt it.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It's very easy to see who's screwing up, just watch the games. Simple.

And the "we don't know what happens in practice" might be a valid excuse for the coach trying out a strange line, but it's not an excuse for playing trash players when there's better options. I mean maybe Vandevelde and Manning are curing cancer at practice but I doubt it.

It's a grave insult to Manning to lump him in with that sorry excuse for a hockey player.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Manning was the worse of the two last year. I'm not forgetting that based on 5 good games this year.

Manning has done more in his 5 good games than seventy-sucks has done in his entire career.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
In Berube's last season Vandevelde actually played pretty well. At that point we all thought he was one of those players who start showing their potential once they're out of Edmonton.
He earned his contract in that season.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
In Berube's last season Vandevelde actually played pretty well. At that point we all thought he was one of those players who start showing their potential once they're out of Edmonton.
He earned his contract in that season.

Speak for yourself. :laugh:

I think most knew that it was an unsustainable little stretch of play.

Bad players tend to do that in their first few games sometimes. Akeson, McGinn, White, and a few other recent players are a perfect example of that. Expecting them to keep it up is foolish.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
if VdV wasn't getting the ice time he was getting Hakstol would still be cursed out for what he does. coaches in this town will never get any credit.
I wish this board was around when Fred Shero was here. we would still have whining and *****ing.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
If we take a step back, VDV is getting less TOI than last year and his CF is up 5% from last year, he's actually a plus possession player this year (barely). But his CF Relative is still a negative, which means he brings his teammates down. But again, last year was a -6, this year is a -2.

HOWEVER, he is getting super super favorable zone starts.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
He's still being used as a top PKer & someone who protects leads late in the game.

Which would help explain why we give up so many freaking goals. I love when people argue that he's valuable because he's on the pk. The fact that he's on the pk doesn't mean he doesn't suck at it. Other than his talent and his instincts he's terrific...

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Which would help explain why we give up so many freaking goals. I love when people argue that he's valuable because he's on the pk. The fact that he's on the pk doesn't mean he doesn't suck at it. Other than his talent and his instincts he's terrific...

yeah our goalies giving up countless soft goals is somehow VdV's fault.
yeah I know VdV is not a good player, but he is only part of the problem on the PK.
Again, every coach in the damn league has players he uses wrong according to this board. I am not talking about VdV specifically. Just saying overall.
Hak is a good coach and really has employed a good system. Many times the Flyers carry the play and are dominant in time of possession. Not the coaches fault we have the worst goaltending in the league.

Ryvont

Jul 5, 2012
Moscow
Last three games Provorov looks really strong and solid, right now he is our best d-man(imho). I was calm when he`s on the ice.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
And it is hard for some to notice Provorov due to him being a steady, not flashy player, and partially due to the fanbase being spoiled by Ghost last year. I know I've heard people think he's not ready or he is struggling, but he is right where he needs to be.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If he wasn't stuck with Streit he'd probably be putting up more points, but unfortunately the rookie has to be the saftlybnet of that pairing. Streit is too busy hunting for points so that he can hopefully get one last contract. Completely ignoring defense and as usual he's doing the whole "I love to whiff on the puck and let it out of the offensive zone" thing he always does on the PP. Never seen defensemen let more out, it's insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad