Post-Game Talk: Nov 12, 2016 | MIN 2 at PHI 3 (Neuvirth, LBI, out 4-to-6 weeks, from Nov. 13)

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
We raff had an outstanding game. Provorov and konecny too. TK could have 15 goals by now with all of his high end chances.

Good to see mase go strong. Get some momentum for his next start. Hope nuevy is ok. Agree with appleyard that it may be awhile but he did play after the injury. Maybe not too bad. Either way likely see Stolarz and it would be awesome to see him play.

I do, too, but not right away. This may be the thing that forces Neuvirth to take time to sit down and find his mental game.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Schenn was not our best player last year. He was also scratched early on in the season when he was performing subpar and didn't really hit his stride until months later in the second half. Had zilch to do with it.

And Jake playing with VDV and PEB was a disaster and did nothing but place our best ES player on the team with the two worst. It solved nothing and only further demoralized Jake.

Schenn was leading the team in points when he got scratched. I didn't mean all year, I meant up until he got scratched. His game was fine and most were perplexed by the move.

I agree the Jake demotion was stupid.. That's why I posted it. Despite not scoring Jake was still playing well yet he got moved down for a big spell, but he played some great hockey after till his foot injury.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Our fickles back to loving Mason now then?

Not yet.

Cautiously optimistic that this could build confidence and he'll be able to bounce back. But there's still the possibility that he goes back to Leighton-style goaltending. Too early to decide either way, just gotta wait and see.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Schenn was leading the team in points when he got scratched. I didn't mean all year, I meant up until he got scratched. His game was fine and most were perplexed by the move.

He had 7 points (3 PP) in 15 games and was 4th actually. In typical Bad Brayden Schenn fashion, he picked up some points here and there but was otherwise playing lackluster.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Missed the game, saw the highlights. The first goal was another weak goal to allow. This team really needs to stop giving up weak goals. Must be really disheartening.

To be fair, though, the goal Manning scored was also pretty weak, so that worked out well.

Amazing pass by Simmonds on the Schenn goal.

Goaltending appeared to stand strong.

Looked like a decent game. Just wish G got a point.

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
I'm glad I didn't post my "trade Schenn for a left winger thought bubble". That was a beautiful goal!
So does Stolly come up and play his first NHL game if Neuvirth is out for a time? Blessing in disguise?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I'm glad I didn't post my "trade Schenn for a left winger thought bubble". That was a beautiful goal!
So does Stolly come up and play his first NHL game if Neuvirth is out for a time? Blessing in disguise?

I'd still consider trading Schenn for a natural, speedier LW. He probably has good trade value, & his point totals are better than his play. Wouldn't write off the idea.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Next game is Tuesday the 15th at 7pm against the Ottawa Senators at the Wells Fargo Center.
Here is what Ottawa's line up might look like...

Line 1 LW Dzingel C Turris RW Pyatt
Line 2 LW Hoffman C Brassard RW Ryan
Line 3 LW Smith C Pageau RW Stone
Line 4 LW Puempel C Kelly RW Neil

1st D-Pair LD Methot RD Karlsson
2nd D-Pair LD Phaneuf RD Ceci
3rd D-Pair LD Borowiecki RD Claesson

Goalie's:
Starter: Anderson
Backup: Condon

Scratched List
RD Wideman + Upper body day to day
G Hammond + Lower body week to week IR
LW MacArthur + Concussion Out Indefinitely IR

Captain: Erik Karlsson
Alternate Captain: Chris Neil
Alternate Captain: Kyle Turris
Alternate Captain: Dion Phaneuf

Note: This is not an official line up and may be subject to change.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Next game is Tuesday the 15th at 7pm against the Ottawa Senators at the Wells Fargo Center.

Goalie's:

Scratched List

God that's an awful lineup. Means we are probably gonna loose.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Disagree.

Their 3rd line that is posted had 25, 19, and 23 goals each last year. We would LOVE to have that on our 3rd line.

That is lot of bang for the buck right there, but lets don't get caught in narratives. I mean we can say that Weise is 30 point scorer and he is getting healthy scratched on our team.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Okay, I was blitzed watching this game.... as I feared the worse going into it...

This is what I took away from it.

VDV is garbage, nothing new here, everything thing fell apart when he tried to do anything.
Striet shouldn't be on the PP2
Provorov is very smart
Weise / Raffl love to support (I even think Weise on line 1 - instead of Simmonds would work [remember I was blitzed)
Simmonds should play MORE PK
Cousins needs to be on the PK
PEB ALWAYS needs to be on the ice right after a goal. He sets the tone and provides that spark, keeps the team going (glue)
We need a more polished Gudas on the team or someone else on the ice the other team are afraid of (ie Morin when he is ready)

I loved how Simmonds waved (I think) Cousins out of the FO dot and won the draw. Leadership.
Mason tracked the puck well and he was VERY vocal back there - which is think has been part and parcel to is past success here - MORE comminication.
As a whole the team was talking to one another out there. It showed.

Matt read needs to play more (esp if he plays like that)

MATT READ TRAVIS KONECNY SEAN COUTURIER - was a sick line.
PIERRE EDOUARD BELLEMARE DALE WEISE MICHAEL RAFFL - also a great line

leftwing lock showed they play 2-3% but they were great when on the ice. Those lines should NEVER change.

Schenn - Giroux - Voracek
XXX - Cousins -Simmonds

would be left....

Okay - have at it.... haha

edit: I was blitzed.... the mind does funny things.

Last edited:

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Okay, I was blitzed watching this game.... as I feared the worse going into it...

This is what I took away from it.

VDV is garbage, nothing new here, everything thing fell apart when he tried to do anything.
Striet shouldn't be on the PP2
Provorov is very smart
Weise / Raffl love to support (I even think Weise on line 1 - instead of Simmonds would work [remember I was blitzed)
Simmonds should play MORE PK
Cousins needs to be on the PK
PEB ALWAYS needs to be on the ice right after a goal. He sets the tone and provides that spark, keeps the team going (glue)
We need a more polished Gudas on the team or someone else on the ice the other team are afraid of (ie Morin when he is ready)

I loved how Simmonds waved (I think) Cousins out of the FO dot and won the draw. Leadership.
Mason tracked the puck well and he was VERY vocal back there - which is think has been part and parcel to is past success here - MORE comminication.
As a whole the team was talking to one another out there. It showed.

Matt read needs to play more (esp if he plays like that)

MATT READ TRAVIS KONECNY SEAN COUTURIER - was a sick line.
PIERRE EDOUARD BELLEMARE DALE WEISE MICHAEL RAFFL - also a great line

leftwing lock showed they play 2-3% but they were great when on the ice. Those lines should NEVER change.

Schenn - Giroux - Voracek
XXX - Cousins -Simmonds

Okay - have at it.... haha

would be left....

Are you saying tk and coots should be moved to the 3rd line?

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Are you saying tk and coots should be moved to the 3rd line?

no. I'm saying they should play more together. Also the thought behind that whole thing was how ALL 3 looked out there. They just got it, they clicked, it worked. Watch the shift from last night. Loved what they were able to do together.

I think they could play 2nd line minutes... I think both our '2nd' and '3rd' lines could play the same amount of minutes.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
no. I'm saying they should play more together. Also the thought behind that whole thing was how ALL 3 looked out there. They just got it, they clicked, it worked. Watch the shift from last night. Loved what they were able to do together.

I think they could play 2nd line minutes... I think both our '2nd' and '3rd' lines could play the same amount of minutes.

Our 3rd line could be good but you have to realize Vdv is kinda on it. Raffl- cousins - read sure thing

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sitting Raffl worked, that was his best game this year. Guys get into ruts and sometimes need a wakeup call, he's the kind of player who has to have his pants on fire to be effective.

Weise will be fine, he looked a lot more comfortable, and they can use his combination of speed and size, just need more skilled people to play with because he's more of a grinder.

VdV is this year's whipping boy, but face it, you don't win or lose on your 12th forward who averages, what, 8 minutes a night?

The real key was Mason finally playing like a NHL goalie, make the routine stops and bail out your defensemen a half dozen times a game. Amazing what a difference that makes!

The system is not the reason for the defensive breakdowns, they don't come off the pinch, they come off entries into the D-zone, Flyer D-men just skate backwards and let forwards bring the puck in deep and don't clear the crease. The system is fine, just need better players with the skill and confidence to challenge zone entries.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sitting Raffl worked, that was his best game this year. Guys get into ruts and sometimes need a wakeup call, he's the kind of player who has to have his pants on fire to be effective.

Weise will be fine, he looked a lot more comfortable, and they can use his combination of speed and size, just need more skilled people to play with because he's more of a grinder.

VdV is this year's whipping boy, but face it, you don't win or lose on your 12th forward who averages, what, 8 minutes a night?

The real key was Mason finally playing like a NHL goalie, make the routine stops and bail out your defensemen a half dozen times a game. Amazing what a difference that makes!

The system is not the reason for the defensive breakdowns, they don't come off the pinch, they come off entries into the D-zone, Flyer D-men just skate backwards and let forwards bring the puck in deep and don't clear the crease. The system is fine, just need better players with the skill and confidence to challenge zone entries.

Of course you can.

Imagine this terrible player is being used in important situations like, oh I don't know, the PK, when protecting a lead, in a 5v6 situation, or any of the other scenarios where you'd generally want a more defensively responsible player, like Raffl or Couts or Giroux or Read or Simmonds or Voracek or literally any other forward on the roster.

It's not the amount of minutes that's important, it's the quality of them, and the fact that this player is able to have such a negative impact while only playing a short amount of time. Also, if we're trying to be factual, in his last 5 games he's played 12:00, 13:03, 12:21, 9:42, and 12:52... quite a bit more than 8 minutes. Just look at the game against Toronto, he ****ing killed them by taking that idiotic penalty making it a 3v5.

His negative impact isn't being exaggerated. He's just really bad at hockey and I don't think he'd even be in the top 9 on the Phantoms so I have no clue how he makes his way there on the Flyers. The difference between Vandevelde and Raffl is about as large as the gap between Raffl and Giroux.

And if you respond to this with anything along the lines of "we have to remember that we're rebuilding", I'm going to strangle you.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
Of course you can.

Imagine this terrible player is being used in important situations like, oh I don't know, the PK, when protecting a lead, in a 5v6 situation, or any of the other scenarios where you'd generally want a more defensively responsible player, like Raffl or Couts or Giroux or Read or Simmonds or Voracek or literally any other forward on the roster.

It's not the amount of minutes that's important, it's the quality of them, and the fact that this player is able to have such a negative impact while only playing a short amount of time. Also, if we're trying to be factual, in his last 5 games he's played 12:00, 13:03, 12:21, 9:42, and 12:52... quite a bit more than 8 minutes. Just look at the game against Toronto, he ****ing killed them by taking that idiotic penalty making it a 3v5.

His negative impact isn't being exaggerated. He's just really bad at hockey and I don't think he'd even be in the top 9 on the Phantoms so I have no clue how he makes his way there on the Flyers. The difference between Vandevelde and Raffl is about as large as the gap between Raffl and Giroux.

And if you respond to this with anything along the lines of "we have to remember that we're rebuilding", I'm going to strangle you.

I typed a response echoing this but then didn't post it. All about the time his minutes take place and what he does with them. So far he hasn't done anything.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Goalie's:

Scratched List

Another team playing better than the sum of their parts, while we are doing the opposite.

I wanted Guy Boucher last summer. I figured he could adapt from his balls-to-the-wall offense into something more balanced.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Konecny - Couturier - Read will never be as good as Konecny - Couturier - Voracek. The latter has dominated all season. They spend the majority of their shifts on the attack.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad