LeBrun: "Nothing on the front-burner right now" with Dubas and Gardiner

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
If you think the young guys are mad about Tavares coming aboard, you dont understand the game.

You just signed a top 10 center to your team. Why would you be upset? Players want to win. They will get paid either way
kadri loves the fact that he a 3rd liner now and will get way less minutes after scoring 30 goals.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
kadri loves the fact that he a 3rd liner now and will get way less minutes after scoring 30 goals.
Exactly. He plays the perfect role for the team and himself. I was expecting a 20G/30A player but hes exceed that by a mile.
kadri.png

Last edited:

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
If there's any chance at all the leafs could extend him for under 6 a year they'd be absolutely nuts not to. D-man of his caliber get more than that any time they come available. The Gardiner sucks crowd accomplishes the goal of lessening Gardiner's value on hfboards no doubt, but in the real world where general managers don't read these forums and use actual logic to evaluate players you can be sure they realize how valuable this guy is.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Don't think he gets resigned. Once Horton is on ltir, they have 18.5 million in cap space. Nylander will probably get somewhere between 6-7 million (I'll go down the middle in this case). That leaves you with 12 million to resign Matthews and marner. Even if Marleau is off the books, I still can't see the math working. They likely lose Gardner to free agency and hope whoever comes in can hold their own.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Don't think he gets resigned. Once Horton is on ltir, they have 18.5 million in cap space. Nylander will probably get somewhere between 6-7 million (I'll go down the middle in this case). That leaves you with 12 million to resign Matthews and marner. Even if Marleau is off the books, I still can't see the math working. They likely lose Gardner to free agency and hope whoever comes in can hold their own.
One tiny, little, slight problem in that scenario.

If Horton goes on LTIR, any bonuses earned this season will have to be taken out of next year cap.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You wanted to shore up my point ?

If they were not on ELCs, the Leafs would not have to worry about bonuses...

Maybe I’m missing something but how do you expect them to earn 12 million this year on ELCs.

Max for both is like 5.6. There is plenty of room for now with them and all bonuses with Willy making like 6.5. More than enough room.

For the following year there are many mock ups that fit in all of them with.

Tavares. 11.
Matthews. 11
Marner. 7.5
Nylander 6.5
Gardiner 6

Play with cap friendly. It’s not that tough to fit them all in. Just have to bring up their elc wingers.

Dubas said he would fit them all Tavares said he signed here believing they would fit them all. I think it’s reasonable that they do

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Maybe I’m missing something but how do you expect them to earn 12 million this year on ELCs.

Max for both is like 5.6. There is plenty of room for now with them and all bonuses with Willy making like 6.5. More than enough room.

For the following year there are many mock ups that fit in all of them with.

Tavares. 11.
Matthews. 11
Marner. 7.5
Nylander 6.5
Gardiner 6

Play with cap friendly. It’s not that tough to fit them all in. Just have to bring up their elc wingers.

Dubas said he would fit them all Tavares said he signed here believing they would fit them all. I think it’s reasonable that they do
Failure in communication.

All you wrote is true, all I wrote is true.

The post I was responding to said "Once Horton goes to LTIR"...

You might have looked at my post without seeing what I was responding to...

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

Kadri played 16 mins a night last year. Unless Matthews and Tavares play 25 a piece he will be playing the same amount.

What are you talking about?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Yep fair enough. I was assuming there was something I was missing

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018

Horton doesn’t go on LTIR this season. We have tons of room for this year’s bonuses meaning no overages next season. He goes on LTIR next season when all the core guys are off their ELCs. That’s what the poster was trying to explain (probably).

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Horton doesn’t go on LTIR this season. We have tons of room for this year’s bonuses meaning no overages next season. He goes on LTIR next season when all the core guys are off their ELCs. That’s what the poster was trying to explain (probably).
I fully agree with your post.

I see no rational scenario where the Leafs would need to put Horton on LTIR this season.

But it's not what the post I quoted said.

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
I fully agree with your post.

I see no rational scenario where the Leafs would need to put Horton on LTIR this season.

But it's not what the post I quoted said.

The post you quoted is talking about re-signing Marner, Matthews, and Gardiner which is 2019-20.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Kadri played 16 mins a night last year. Unless Matthews and Tavares play 25 a piece he will be playing the same amount.

What are you talking about?
Closer to 17, with prime ppminutes that he will lose to Tavares. I dont think anyone expects him to score 30 this year and that is fine.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Closer to 17, with prime ppminutes that he will lose to Tavares. I dont think anyone expects him to score 30 this year and that is fine.
Tavares will replace bozaks’ minutes on the PP. I feel pretty confident in saying that the big three C’s in Toronto will all get plenty of ice time. It’s the 4C who’s yet to be determined who won’t play much especially 5v5

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
But it also said "Once Horton is on ltir, they have 18.5 million in cap space." which is this year, not next year.

He started with this year's cap space, which I agree is not the best starting point but I see it done that way a lot on these boards, but it's pretty obvious he was talking about our cap crunch next season. Regardless, putting Horton on LTIR this season wouldn't immediately cause our bonuses to accrue to next season anyway. It wouldn't change anything unless we actually went out and used the space we have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad