LeBrun: "Nothing on the front-burner right now" with Dubas and Gardiner

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
There is no rush for either side. It could go well for Gardiner if he plays better than last season. It could be a good move for him to not rush it. And for Toronto it could be a good motivation for him to perform better than ever this season.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
There is no rush for either side. It could go well for Gardiner if he plays better than last season. It could be a good move for him to not rush it. And for Toronto it could be a good motivation for him to perform better than ever this season.

Outside of a particularly bad game 7, Gardiner had about the best season he could expect overall. Can't see him improving his performance in any meaningful way.

Overall Gardiner is a D you definitely want on your team, but definitely don't want to overpay. Basically the JVR of D.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Outside of a particularly bad game 7, Gardiner had about the best season he could expect overall. Can't see him improving his performance in any meaningful way.

Overall Gardiner is a D you definitely want on your team, but definitely don't want to overpay. Basically the JVR of D.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

From the stuff I saw last season, he played extremely well. If stays on pace, he should get a good deal. Something around 5.5/6 is probably what I see him at.

Reactions: Magic Man

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Makes sense. Can they even afford him with the upcoming Nylander, Marner and Matthews raises?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Makes sense. Can they even afford him with the upcoming Nylander, Marner and Matthews raises?
we would have to get rid of marleau somehow, hes good but for 6.25 hard to justify that when other plays need that money.

cap space right now
+5.3(horton litr)
+3 (hainsey departure)
+ 3 mil cap increase(rough guess)
= 24.6 mil for
nylander(6.5) + marner(8) +matthews (11)
=25.5

we if we got rid of marleaus contract, we could give the trio the missing cut and give gards the 2 mil ish difference and have a decent amount left over for depth. Alternatively we could bridge nylander.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Interesting that none of the young guys want to re-sign. Wonder if they're mad because some outsider in Tavares came in and usurped the leadership role and ate all the extra cap room up.

Reactions: hockeyguy1967

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
probably why hes traded or walks
Won't be surprised,there is Timmy to replace him in the near future!
Personally I would've tried to deal him this summer. He is likely to put up decent numbers on this 'offense first' team which often leads to bigger contracts.

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Can we make an all-encompassing leafs thread on here?
I've got a great trick for not having to read things I don't want to. It's called not clicking, opening and commenting on things I don't want to see... Why is this so hard for some of you to understand?

On topic: I don't think there was many if any Leaf fans that feel signing him right now was a priority. Got a whole year to sign him.

Tavares Is A Leaf

Sep 6, 2018

There's something called endorsements buddy. We can and will fit our core under the cap. The Leafs have luxuries other team do not and can afford to pay players under the table via money funneled through different companies under the guise of endorsement deals.

Why do you think Tavares left 2 mil on the table? Because he knew the Leafs would hook him up with a cool 10 mil of Canadian Tire endorsement moolah.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Interesting that none of the young guys want to re-sign. Wonder if they're mad because some outsider in Tavares came in and usurped the leadership role and ate all the extra cap room up.
It must be the same with Nurse in Edmonton. We can only assume that he doesn't want to play with McDavid.

Reactions: Cams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad