OT - NO POLITICS NOT home for the Holidays.................

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
my father is in there at least once a week. We love Stockholders across the street too, but the wallet prefers the Nines!

bizarre how the construction down 18 has suddenly exploded with progress. Not to mention all the condo units by South Weymouth station or the old navy base. I hardly recognize 18 now.

Actually, I live in one of those condos, I can hear the train whistle as it comes into the station. Grew up near Weymouth Landing, lived all up and down the East Coast. Moved back to Weymouth in 2003, and bought the condo last year.

But yeah, 18 is not what it used to be. Whoever thought it would be 2 lanes from the Washington St. split all the way to Abington?

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Actually, I live in one of those condos, I can hear the train whistle as it comes into the station. Grew up near Weymouth Landing, lived all up and down the East Coast. Moved back to Weymouth in 2003, and bought the condo last year.

But yeah, 18 is not what it used to be. Whoever thought it would be 2 lanes from the Washington St. split all the way to Abington?
Amazing. It’s like a whole new town at the navy base. My father propositioned the developers years ago to get a corner store or food truck of sorts in there and they shot him down.

And the two lane thing is so bizarre. People used to tell me almost 30 years ago that 18 should be two lanes either side, and now here we are. There were times late at night if you’re heading south and you just cruise, i swear you could hit nothing but green lights from Weymouth to Whitman. I doubt that’s the case now with the lane changes and road work

Reactions: jgatie

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
A basic tenet of logic is you cannot prove a negative. Asking me to prove Mengele never experimented in vaccines requires me to scour every piece of information in the world to check if proof exists. Which is an impossibility. You, on the on the other hand, have claimed a positive, that he did experiment with vaccines. That is easily proven, you just need a single verifiable cite.

As was explained to me once, I can't prove that unicorns don't exist because I would have to search every square inch of the world, an impossible task. However, the person who says unicorns exist only has to find one to prove his claim.

But hey, I'll bite. Here's his wiki page:
Josef Mengele - Wikipedia

Nothing about vaccines. Plenty about genetics. Ball's in your court.

Nazi doctors did conduct forced immunizations on inmates at a number of their concentration camps, including Dachau, Buchenwald and Sachsenhausen, for the purposes of studying prevention and treatment of a range of contagious diseases. The victims would have included Jews, Roma, Slavs, political prisoners and others. To my knowledge, Mengele was not involved in any of these specific types of experiments. However, they did happen, and many people died as a result.

Nazi Medical Experiments

Personally I see no connection between these hideous acts and the current attempts to combat coronavirus, just wanted to clarify a historical point.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Nazi doctors did conduct forced immunizations on inmates at a number of their concentration camps, including Dachau, Buchenwald and Sachsenhausen, for the purposes of studying prevention and treatment of a range of contagious diseases. The victims would have included Jews, Roma, Slavs, political prisoners and others. To my knowledge, Mengele was not involved in any of these specific types of experiments. However, they did happen, and many people died as a result.

Nazi Medical Experiments

Personally I see no connection between these hideous acts and the current attempts to combat coronavirus, just wanted to clarify a historical point.

Oh I know they happened. I was rebutting the poster's claim that it was the "Angel of Death" aka Josef Mengele who carried them out. You came to the same conclusions as I. Also, the OP was very specific in stating Mengele was responsible for "giving out vaccines to people at the camps". And though there is some evidence Mengele was involved in disease experiments early on (typhus and noma), neither of these are viral and therefore, not requiring a vaccine. Regardless, his infamy in the history of evil comes mainly from his genetic experiments on twins, regardless of his other atrocities.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Oh I know they happened. I was rebutting the poster's claim that it was the "Angel of Death" aka Josef Mengele who carried them out. You came to the same conclusions as I. Also, the OP was very specific in stating Mengele was responsible for "giving out vaccines to people at the camps". And though there is some evidence Mengele was involved in disease experiments early on (typhus and noma), neither of these are viral and therefore, not requiring a vaccine. Regardless, his infamy in the history of evil comes mainly from his genetic experiments on twins, regardless of his other atrocities.

Yeah definitely. The American army had Mengele in detention for around a month in mid-1945 but let him go as they didn't realize what he'd been up to. A completely reasonable mistake in the chaos and uncertainty of the immediate post-war period, but it was a real shame he was let slip.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As in all locations in each state?
That would suck bad....we love it there especially the colossal lobster roll......

A friend has been bartending at 99 Charlestown since it was the Front Page and he told me the staff from the GM down is scared

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Wrapping Presents with a Cat

1. Clear large space on table for wrapping present.

2. Go to closet and collect bag in which present is contained, and shut door.

3. Open door and remove cat from closet.

4. Go to cupboard and retrieve rolls of wrapping paper.

5. Go back and remove cat from cupboard.

6. Go to drawer, and collect transparent sticky tape, ribbons, scissors, labels, etc. . .

7. Lay out presents and wrapping materials on table, to enable wrapping strategy to be formed.

8. Go back to drawer to get string, remove cat that has been in the drawer since last visit and collect string.

9. Remove present from bag.

10. Remove cat from bag.

11. Open box to check present, remove cat from box, replace present.

12. Lay out paper to enable cutting to size.

13. Try and smooth out paper, realize cat is underneath and remove cat.

14. Cut the paper to size, keeping the cutting line straight.

15. Throw away first sheet as cat chased the scissors, and tore the paper.

16. Cut second sheet of paper to size - by putting cat in the bag the present came in.

17. Place present on paper.

18. Lift up edges of paper to seal in present. Wonder why edges don't reach. Realize cat is between present and paper. Remove cat.

19. Place object on paper, to hold in place while tearing transparent sticky tape.

20. Spend 20 minutes carefully trying to remove transparent sticky tape from cat with pair of nail scissors.

21. Seal paper with sticky tape, making corners as neat as possible.

22. Look for roll of ribbon. Chase cat down hall in order to retrieve ribbon.

23. Try to wrap present with ribbon in a two-directional turn.

24. Re-roll ribbon and remove paper, which is now torn due to cat's enthusiastic ribbon chase.

25. Repeat steps 13-20 until you reach last sheet of paper.

26. Decide to skip steps 13-17 in order to save time and reduce risk of losing last sheet of paper. Retrieve old cardboard box that is the right size for sheet of paper.

27. Put present in box, and tie down with string.

28. Remove string, open box and remove cat.

29. Put all packing materials in bag with present and head for locked room.

30. Once inside lockable room, lock door and start to relay out paper and materials.

31. Remove cat from box, unlock door, put cat outside door, close and relock.

32. Repeat previous step as often as is necessary (until you can hear cat from outside door)

33. Lay out last sheet of paper. (This will be difficult in the small area of the toilet, but do your best)

34. Discover cat has already torn paper. Unlock door go out and hunt through various cupboards, looking for sheet of last year's paper. Remember that you haven't got any left because cat helped with this last year as well.

35. Return to lockable room, lock door, and sit on toilet and try to make torn sheet of paper look presentable.

36. Seal box, wrap with paper and repair by very carefully sealing with sticky tape. Tie up with ribbon and decorate with bows to hide worst areas.

37. Label. Sit back and admire your handiwork, congratulate yourself on completing a difficult job.

38. Unlock door, and go to kitchen to make drink and feed cat.

39. Spend 15 minutes looking for cat until coming to obvious conclusion.

40. Unwrap present, untie box and remove cat.

41. Go to store and buy a gift bag
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I love how people will shove fast food in their gob any chance they get and have no problem feeding that **** to their kids on a regular basis, no problem looking the other way at all the concerning information that has been readily available for years.

But as soon as we talk about a vaccine all the sudden they’re concerned about what they put in their bodies because it doesn’t taste good and isn’t fun.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I love how people will shove fast food in their gob any chance they get and have no problem feeding that **** to their kids on a regular basis, no problem looking the other way at all the concerning information that has been readily available for years.

But as soon as we talk about a vaccine all the sudden they’re concerned about what they put in their bodies because it doesn’t taste good and isn’t fun.

I know this is a popular meme floating around but here’s my issue with it.

we know what’s in fast food and how it affects our bodies. It’s not wholesome, but it’s not a surprise either.

we know what’s in the vaccine but we don’t yet fully know how it’s going to affect our bodies. It’s a false equivalency.

I’ll get the vaccine but I understand why people are cautious - even those that live on McNuggets.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I know this is a popular meme floating around but here’s my issue with it.

we know what’s in fast food and how it affects our bodies. It’s not wholesome, but it’s not a surprise either.

we know what’s in the vaccine but we don’t yet fully know how it’s going to affect our bodies. It’s a false equivalency.

I’ll get the vaccine but I understand why people are cautious - even those that live on McNuggets.

I agree about being cautious. It’s not comfortable seeing a vaccine produced faster than normal. Because of my job I will be among the first to get it, it’s not something I’m thrilled about but it’s necessary at this point. I think any of us will find it at least somewhat unsettling even with the knowledge and correct information.

But some perpspective is required and the politics around this virus is extremely frustrating. There is a lot of exhaustion, especially on the frontlines and watching this continue to get dragged out, worsened and politicized is wearing my patience.

People are very selective about when they actually care about whats going in their bodies and are knowingly harming themselves and their children with their choices on a regular basis. I see those consequences every day in my job without a pandemic. But they’ve decided that something that has a possibility to be harmful while probably having a large benefit to others is the hill to die on. And I’m not buying it from a good portion of these people.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
LOL one eh example to my 2 horrible ones.

I am on the autistic spectrum which from a lot of things I have read can come from Vaccines

however this isn’t even about that and discussing that or anything like that isn’t allowed here

it’s about personal freedoms. Hey if YOU want to take it have fun. However I will not. Especially seeing some of these side effects.
I'm sorry but this has to be forcefully rebuked because the spread of conspiracy theories and misinformation is a plague on our society.

There has been zero links proven RE vaccines causing autism. There was one discredited paper published 22 years ago that started this. The paper (or 'study') was proven to be done fraudulently and was not only discredited, it was retracted and the original author had his credentials revoked by the medical board in the UK because of how conflicted and fraudulently he conducted himself.

There are no links, there is no scientific connection, and this is nothing but conspiracy theory. You have been hoodwinked.

The rest of the nonsense that followed this was properly addressed for those others that are reading this thread and who may not be up to speed on the facts around these things. Nonsense like this must be rebutted forcefully, and we're seeing the impact of letting nonsense go unchecked in our lives today.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
I'm sorry but this has to be forcefully rebuked because the spread of conspiracy theories and misinformation is a plague on our society.

There has been zero links proven RE vaccines causing autism. There was one discredited paper published 22 years ago that started this. The paper (or 'study') was proven to be done fraudulently and was not only discredited, it was retracted and the original author had his credentials revoked by the medical board in the UK because of how conflicted and fraudulently he conducted himself.

There are no links, there is no scientific connection, and this is nothing but conspiracy theory. You have been hoodwinked.

The rest of the nonsense that followed this was properly addressed for those others that are reading this thread and who may not be up to speed on the facts around these things. Nonsense like this must be rebutted forcefully, and we're seeing the impact of letting nonsense go unchecked in our lives today.

Don’t think that’s a road any of you in here want to travel. Stop it. Lmao.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Car is back but they crossed the wiper fluid lines. That is just unacceptable especially when it took 2 weeks to fix the car. I'm terrified to see what else they screwed up.

Even worse than this was that they clearly sanitized my car with who knows what (that smell is awful) and then tried to start my car for me without a mask on. Yea no. Thankfully I have remote start.

Wipers are getting fixed by the service center at the dealership Monday morning and I'll wait to see what else is found before lodging a formal complaint.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I agree about being cautious. It’s not comfortable seeing a vaccine produced faster than normal. Because of my job I will be among the first to get it, it’s not something I’m thrilled about but it’s necessary at this point. I think any of us will find it at least somewhat unsettling even with the knowledge and correct information.

But some perpspective is required and the politics around this virus is extremely frustrating. There is a lot of exhaustion, especially on the frontlines and watching this continue to get dragged out, worsened and politicized is wearing my patience.

People are very selective about when they actually care about whats going in their bodies and are knowingly harming themselves and their children with their choices on a regular basis. I see those consequences every day in my job without a pandemic. But they’ve decided that something that has a possibility to be harmful while probably having a large benefit to others is the hill to die on. And I’m not buying it from a good portion of these people.

I have a relative who won't take over the counter drugs because of the Tylenol scare that happened over 30 years ago, but she eats at Chipotle a couple times a month and was never once afraid of their various salmonella/E. coli/Norovirus outbreaks.

Reactions: LSCII and Hali33

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010

i don’t necessarily disagree with what you’re saying, but the comparison to putting fast food into your body is still a false equivalency.

take smoking for example. It was a widely accepted part of our culture for a very long time. Over time, the science and medical community proved it to be harmful to our health with potentially deadly consequences. JUST from smoking. People don’t really smoke anymore.

Again I don’t disagree what you’re saying overall. The comparisons to fast food have bothered me for a few reasons - beyond the false equivalency, fast food is easily accessible to a large portion of the population and there are socioeconomics st play.

Reactions: LSCII

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I bought a flu shot at wallgreens in St Pete last month so ill probably get the covid vaccine when its there too . I assume over time they'll perfect it more.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

our daughter is 8. The flu effects kids that age worse than covid. Plus its a new vaccine. Thats the main reason why we probably wont give her the covid vaccine.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Amazing.
I thought this guy was caught already tho??

I think a lot of people confuse the Nightstalker and the Zodiac a lot. Ramirez (Nightstalker) was caught and is dead, but the Zodiac remains unsolved. With how they nailed the Golden State Killer via 23 and me stuff, I'd say it's a matter of time before they find him or figure out who he is/was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia