Not Elliott's fault, but..

GrandPapillon*

We fans better hope that Allen emerges by playoff time, or a trade is made. Elliott can't get it done come playoff time. He's had chances and fallen on his face every time. Elliott has overperformed for the Blues and done an admirable job in the regular season each season he's been here. He's ust not the kind of goalie that can be trusted to either steal games or not make that one mistake that could cost you a close game.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
We fans better hope that Allen emerges by playoff time, or a trade is made. Elliott can't get it done come playoff time. He's had chances and fallen on his face every time. Elliott has overperformed for the Blues and done an admirable job in the regular season each season he's been here. He's ust not the kind of goalie that can be trusted to either steal games or not make that one mistake that could cost you a close game.

I completely disagree with pretty much everything you said here.

Elliott's GAA with the Blues in the playoffs is 2.14. His SV% is .912. Not too shabby at all. So I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Blues playoff woes come with the lack of scoring, not Elliott's goaltending.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Elliott was not the reason we lost the second time around to the Kings. He is more than capable of winning with this roster. We need our offense to actually show up in the playoffs. If you have to rely on your goalie to steal every game, you are in deep trouble.

GrandPapillon*

I completely disagree with pretty much everything you said here.

Elliott's GAA with the Blues in the playoffs is 2.14. His SV% is .912. Not too shabby at all. So I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Blues playoff woes come with the lack of scoring, not Elliott's goaltending.

Sometimes broad stats don't tell the whole picture. I know I've posted before a game by game look at Elliott's playoff career and shown that he has had quite a few clunker games. I tried to go back through my post history to copy and paste those numbers, but couldn't find it. Entirely possible that those posts were deleted because I got heated and said something stupid in the same post. But my point is this, Elliott is ok...especially in regular season. He hasn't shown himself to be able to be a reliable postseason goaltender yet.

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA

Elliott played as well as you could hope for against the Kings two years ago. That playoff exit, like last season, was 100% on the shoulders of the offense. Our forwards couldn't score a goal in you put them in the crease with an open net.

I really don't understand what some fans want. Blues trade for a proven goalie in Halak, and he never stays healthy to get the job done. Blues fans turn on him, demand bringing a big name goalie. Blues make a huge trade for Miller, and he falls flat on his face. Now we go back to a guy in Elliott who has proven to be very solid, and Blues fans are calling for another big name. I can only scratch my head sometimes.

Bottomline, Elliott is what we have, and he is the guy the team is trusting. People way smarter than any of us on these boards believe he can get the job done. It's past time to stop complaining about it and put some faith in him.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Elliott is solid. I just wish we had a goalie that could steal games. I know they don't grow on trees, but it would be nice. Maybe someday Allen will be that type of goalie. Halak had the potential, but he just never lived up to it.

Jan 25, 2013
Missouri
Elliot looked pretty solid tonight. The only goal he allowed in was about as hard as they come when all your momentum is moving up only for the shot to be deflected straight to the ice. Even with the greatest of reaction times, that's just a tough recovery to make.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Elliott was rock solid tonight. Weak opponent, but still played well.

Blues88

Apr 27, 2009
St. Louis
But my point is this, Elliott is ok...especially in regular season. He hasn't shown himself to be able to be a reliable postseason goaltender yet.

By the same token, the guys in front of him haven't shown themselves to be reliable post season players either.

I think a team could win with this caliber of goalie, but you absolutely have to have depth and strength at the center position. Look at Miller. He was weaker in net than Elliott has been for us historically. Blues still lost 4 in a row on the back of a bad PP and a lack of finish.

Time will tell I guess.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Whether you observe or only check stats, Elliott is a good goalie. He lacks a big reputation and is not considered elite, but he has the skills to be this team's goaltender.

Last season made it clear, it's not about the goaltending.

The puck is going to go in the net, we just need to be the ones doing it. A goaltender better than Elliott will not bring us any closer to this goal and likely result in an insignificant number of goals saved to be worth the loss required to get a goaltender better than Elliott.

Jan 25, 2013
Missouri
Like somebody has already said in this thread, the Blues front office decided to go cheap on goalie so that they could spend on other areas.

With Hitch's defensive system, our solid blue line and 2-way players, a player like Elliott for that price is what I'd argue is perfect for this team. You just don't get that many goalies of his caliber at that price, but he was willing to take less to stay in STL and fight for the #1 spot.

Is he going to be perfect? No. Will he have bad games from time to time? Absolutely. The old saying is you get what you pay for, but in this case I feel that we are getting a bargain.

Last edited:

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Elliott? Has never been a #1 Goalie, and like Halak will become the Whipping Boy soon enough if the last line Defense doesn't win, he's under the microscope for sure. And I am not a fan of Elliott, still ticked off about the day Armstrong foolishly traded Bishop. Allen will get his chance soon enough and I for one look forward to this.

Elliot 4 Vezina.

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014

STLBloosiers

Jul 14, 2014

so has every other goalie in the way of LA....

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
This thread is ridiculous. In 2 years max Allen is going to be our 1st goaltender. Then croutch friend from Finland has developped max 2nd goaltender. IMO Husso's level is already in AHL or higher. Nonsence to speak up we have goaltender problems in future or now.

You want to get back to the future news flash. This was our 2013-2014 starting lineups (in memory so maybe some misstakes)

Code:
Steen - Backes - Oshie
Morrow - Roy - Stewart
Schwartz - Berglund - Tarasenko
Sobotka - Lapierre - Reaves

Jbou - Pietro
Leopold - Shattenkir
Jackman - Polak 

Elliott

We are going to be just fine when Gunnar is back. No need to worry. 1 thing is sure if we fall again its not going to be goaltender problem.
Only problem I can see this year how can our coaching guys keep our top guys fully energy when spring comes. Hitch got tools now (+assistant coach) and I must say he (Hitch) is that guy who will get ass kicked if another failure comes end of season. Mark my word.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

I can see why people want Elliott gone, I mean he has zero points in the 14 playoff games he's been with us. His lack of offense is really disturbing and only adds to our scoring problem come playoff time.

I guess he's been very good for us as a goalie, but I won't be happy until I see him inflate his point totals along with the rest of the team.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
I think you guys really mistook my intent here. Its more about my feeling that Allen will be an elite goaltender than Elliott's play. Mistimed thread, perhaps. I never once criticized Elliott's play. Content with Elliott, but Im excited about what Allen has the possibility to become and Im impatient about wanting to see it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, just mis-timed since it was after a loss. I also have very high hopes for Allen, and the great thing is, we can have just as high of hopes for Binnington and Husso and still be justified in having those. Hopefully we no longer have the "question mark" in net that we've had since Cujo.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Elliott is solid. I just wish we had a goalie that could steal games. I know they don't grow on trees, but it would be nice. Maybe someday Allen will be that type of goalie. Halak had the potential, but he just never lived up to it.

Corey Crawford has a Cup. That's all you need to know really. If he can get it done with a good team, so can Elliott.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
I'm to the point in my life that I could care less on the mindless psychobabble debate on the Blues Goalies year in and year out and now in year 48 for this franchise. Produce results when it matters, the Playoffs, winning 16 games. Yeah it's nice doing very well during the regular season to get into a favorable match up in the 1st round something the Blues have not been good at during their window to win it all.

I want to see what Allen has to offer, since there is back to back games this weekend at Arizona and Anaheim this weekend. One would think that Allen would play one of those games.

elkranio

Jan 4, 2014
I want to see what Allen has to offer, since there is back to back games this weekend at Arizona and Anaheim this weekend. One would think that Allen would play one of those games.
Allen is starting with Yotes according to JR.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
As does Niemi, and Osborne,... the list goes on.

Do you mean OsGOOD? I can't remember ANY goalie named Osborne, and I've been watching several different hockey leagues for almost 70 years.

I DO remember an Osborne, but he was a forward. And that memory still burns in my innards after almost 30 years. Keith Osborne. The Blues wasted a 1st rounder on him, and he ended up being a career IHLer and UHLer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad