Not Elliott's fault, but..

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
How long until Allen is the no. 1? I love Elliott and would have loved to have seen him over the monstrosity I witnessed against CHI last year..

But, does anyone else just have the feeling that at some point this will be Allen's team? Im talking this season. Not 3 years down the road after Elliott's contract is up.

Again, he played well in this game and in his Blues career, but Ive been thinking this for quite a while. No slight to Elliiott, I just think Allen will take it.

Maybe Im over-hyping and have too much faith Allen, IDK. Id be happy with Elliott regardless. Rangers were on their game and played playoff style hockey and that last goal was just a fluke. Happens.

Im just itching to see Allen get a few starts since he had the year+ to mature, etc.

superblues

:sarcasm: implied
Oct 29, 2011
Maybe Im over-hyping and have too much faith Allen, IDK.

I agree with this part. I'll believe in Allen if and when he delivers.

I thought Elliott looked the opposite of sharp tonight, but I don't solely blame him for tonight's loss.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
if elliott shows he cannot make the big save when we need it (he didnt tonight), he will be replaced by allen. how and if that happens remains to be seen.

he wasnt awful tonight, he wasnt superb either. a fluke goal and a cherry pick goal were the difference.

im not worried about the goaltending, i am worried about statsnys knee and the PP. i know he returned but so did david perron a few years ago and he ended up missing the next year

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
if elliott shows he cannot make the big save when we need it (he didnt tonight), he will be replaced by allen. how and if that happens remains to be seen.

he wasnt awful tonight, he wasnt superb either. a fluke goal and a cherry pick goal were the difference.

im not worried about the goaltending, i am worried about statsnys knee and the PP. i know he returned but so did david perron a few years ago and he ended up missing the next year

Elliott kept us in the game early. He was the only reason it wasn't a blowout after the first. Allen is going to play, but he's going to have to play absolutely incredible to steal the job from Elliott. This is Elliott's job to lose this year. He's earned that chance.

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
i agree but anyway you look at it a 88% save pct is not good enough...ask ryan miller

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Elliott is steady but not spectacular. The D needs to be smothering for this team to dominate nightly.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
i agree but anyway you look at it a 88% save pct is not good enough...ask ryan miller

It's also one game, in which he was hung out to dry on the last two goals. He played the breakaway well, Kreider just made a great shot. That goal is on the blown defensive coverage. The third goal was an absolutely terrible bounce followed up by a nice play. Nash doesn't miss from that close. Elliott played well tonight and gave us a chance to win. That's all we should be asking of him.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Bingo.....

Pretty obvious statement. Obviously the better goalie will play the majority.

Just have a feeling that will be Allen and not Elliott. Like I said though, I could be just over-hyping Allen. But there's that slim chance that Elliott falls on his face and even a mediocre Allen is forced to take over in my worst case scenario.

It's all subjective.

Chippewa

Feb 19, 2012
houseboat, venezuela
Honestly far more stressed out about our hore**** powerplay than our goaltending. I felt Elliott played fine tonight. He's be one of the last reasons we lost.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It's also one game, in which he was hung out to dry on the last two goals. He played the breakaway well, Kreider just made a great shot. That goal is on the blown defensive coverage. The third goal was an absolutely terrible bounce followed up by a nice play. Nash doesn't miss from that close. Elliott played well tonight and gave us a chance to win. That's all we should be asking of him.

This right here.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
We didn't lose because of Elliot tonight, Hell Lundqvist gave up 2 on the same number of shots and he's the best in the world imo. Do you also see Cam Talbot taking the Kings place anytime soon. Elliot was one of the few bright spots in the game tonight, tonight's lose was on The Blues D leaving their goaltender out to dry.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Pretty obvious statement. Obviously the better goalie will play the majority.

Just have a feeling that will be Allen and not Elliott. Like I said though, I could be just over-hyping Allen. But there's that slim chance that Elliott falls on his face and even a mediocre Allen is forced to take over in my worst case scenario.

It's all subjective.
We've seen both goalies behind the "same" team in the preseason. Neither was spectacular. It's just disingenuous to already shue Elliott to the side even if that's not the intention. It seems like unless he's playing every game with a 1.00 GA he's never going to get the credit and opportunity he now deserves. Hell look at quick from last night...he simply wasn't good. Unless Allen is just hands down better night in, night out. Elliott will be the starter this year.

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
We've seen both goalies behind the "same" team in the preseason. Neither was spectacular. It's just disingenuous to already shue Elliott to the side even if that's not the intention. It seems like unless he's playing every game with a 1.00 GA he's never going to get the credit and opportunity he now deserves. Hell look at quick from last night...he simply wasn't good. Unless Allen is just hands down better night in, night out. Elliott will be the starter this year.

Thank you, nothing else needs to be said. You can close this thread now VG.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Rangers fan here, Elliot played lights out for you guys tonight. And we are spoiled with Hank in net for 10 seasons so don't take that compliment lightly. Gg

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA
1 game in before the "bring in Allen" crowd comes out? Dang, I figured it would have been at least 3 or 4.

I was actually please with how Elliott played. Thought he kept the game competitive while the Blues were trying to figure out what offense was. Blues struggled pretty bad last night. But it's a lot to be expected. Several new guys on the team, it is going to take a bit to gel. They had a much better third period offensively, and we could see glimpses into how good the offense can potentially be. And let's give credit where credit is do, Rangers came out great. In the end, they took advantage of the chances they had. We lost a tight game to last year's runner-ups.

All in all, it was a night to forget all around for the team. Nothing to get worked up about though.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Elliott played well last night.

The Blues looked lethargic and not ready to play. I've had a feeling they'll start slow this year, but the Rangers also magnified that by playing a good defensive game.

Lots of bad passes. Several dangerous turnovers. The Blues defense was not ready for primetime. Even despite that, the Blues nearly stole their way into overtime. But of all the things to deconstruct after the loss, Elliott's play isn't really very high on that list. I was actually feeling more reassured after seeing how he weathered the barrage early and kept the deficit from growing to 2.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
Yea Elliott was fine last night, if you leave Rick Nash alone in the slot he is gonna score 90% of the time. If it wasn't for Elliott it would have been 3-0 after the first period

Rizzo90

Nov 10, 2011
the only player i saw playing WELL below their pay grade last night was #27.... he looked like jackman did when he had that albatross brewer alongside of him...

Last edited by a moderator:

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
the only player i saw playing WELL below their pay grade last night was #27.... he looked like jackman did when he had that albatross brewer alongside of him...

Petro wasn't his best but he wasn't that bad either, he was still our best dman last night

Last edited by a moderator:

LGB51

Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Petro wasn't his best but he wasn't that bad either, he was still our best dman last night

J-Bo was our best defender last night, not Petro who had a few bonehead plays. I even thought Shatty had a better game then Petro. Jackman & Cole were painful to watch at times. Paired with Alex I thought Cole would have a much better night then that. He looked like he had no idea what to do with the puck a few times when he had it on his stick.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Maybe it is because I played goaltender but I felt like Elliott was solid last night. He made a couple of big saves from prime scoring areas. The thing I noticed is none of the pucks went through his body and that is a big key of goaltending. Yes every now and then you need to make a huge save but the key is stopping the ones you should stop.

Also I fully believe if that clearing attempt on the last one doesn't take a odd bounce off the seam in the glass the Blues win this game (we had the momentum) and this topic never even comes up.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Cole is better when he is forced to make quick decisions. He simply over-thinks simple plays when he has too much time. He made some really good plays pinching in and has a big shot, but his over-thinking of simple plays will limit what he becomes.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00