Post-Game Talk: Not bad

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
My honest opinion is that besides the first game Abdelkader has regressed back to his old self. He just lacks the skill to contribute offensively. Every time I say this he goes on a goal streak and makes me eat crow, but honestly he's killed a lot of potential goals Z fed him this year.
Please keep saying it.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
What do you mean?

I mean that Ericsson is our true #1 and whoever is paired with him would make our top pair.

I just noticed that whoever is paired with Ericsson tends to log the most minutes. First Kronwall, then DeKeyser these last two games. I thought it would be funny to think that the common factor there is the true #1.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
My ideal defense going forward when everyone is healthy.

Kronwall-Smith
Dekeyser-Ericsson
Jensen-Green

Green can get heavy PP minutes, and I think Jensen could be a great partner for him. Jensen's speed and solid defensive play allow him to help cover for Green.

DDK and Ericsson seems to be playing solid hockey. As long as Ericsson doesn't play top minutes against top players he should be fine especially next to DDK.

Smith seems to only play well with Kronwall so Blashill might as well use that pairing until Smith gives him a reason to take him off that pairing. Who knows, maybe Smith will show he belongs. Maybe he's a guy who elevates his play against better competition. Maybe that explains why he always looks solid in the playoffs.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I think we played well enough to win but we were not overly dominating. Overall, I was pretty happy with the effort. The team has looked much better the past two games.
All our games against Tampa seem to be chess-matches. I'm just happy that it seems like Blashill knows how to coach against them, it almost seems like we have a mental advantage against them despite our playoff loss.
I think we have a positive trend going in the last 4-5 games or so. Would like us to limit shots against a little bit more but can't ask too much with Green/Dats/Richards/Quincey out.

This is very correct. Why do people forget this so fast?
Not sure. I'm not concerned with points for Abby. He's been very effective as the net-front guy, and while he hasn't been finishing on chances for a while that line has still overall been effective. It's almost a good thing if he doesn't repeat last season, makes him easier to re-sign.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I mean that Ericsson is our true #1 and whoever is paired with him would make our top pair.

I just noticed that whoever is paired with Ericsson tends to log the most minutes. First Kronwall, then DeKeyser these last two games. I thought it would be funny to think that the common factor there is the true #1.

I just checked it out and the last 2 games it was
DeKeyser, Ericsson , Kronwall
DeKeyser, Kronwall, Ericsson

Interesting.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I didn't get to watch the game but from what I gather Blash told his team to play good and Cooper told his team to play bad. That is some solid coaching from Blash

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I just checked it out and the last 2 games it was
DeKeyser, Ericsson , Kronwall
DeKeyser, Kronwall, Ericsson

Interesting.
A lot of Ericsson's minutes are on the PK. He's 1st among our d-men in SH TOI/GP, but only Marchenko plays less than him on ES.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
What stood out to me last night was how strong Nyquist and Tatar were on the puck. They made smart plays, carried the play, had nice dekes and made good passes. They were a dynamo together.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
My eye-test scoring attempts:

Player, Goals, Assists, Attempts, Created attempts, Screened Attempts, Other good play = Total

LW Larkin, 1+0+2+1+1+1 = 6
C Zetterberg, 0+0+3+3+1+0 = 7
RW Abdelkader, 0+1+2+2+2+0 = 7
---------------------- Solid effort from 1st line. Larkin had 0 plays before 3rd period, then, somethin happened. He totally exploded up after the Stamkos-incident. He just got pissed of, got mad and it transformed for unbelieveable hockey things through his determination. He was freaking machine after that incident. 6 attempts in one period was probably our season record on my statistics. And he scored the GWG. He is our future Toews, this was another proof of it.

Tatar, 0+1+3+1+0+1 = 6
Sheahan, 1+0+1+0+1+0 = 3
Nyquist, 0+0+4+4+1+0 = 9
----------------------- Second line was also good. Best season game from Nyquist when counted on total attempt-plays. Sheahan scored, why on earth doesn't he use that GREAT SHOT more. God dammit. Get this non-shooting "Filppula" -attitude out of him. Shooooot shoooot shooooot, and we could have a new Franzen in here. That was so typical "Franzen" goal he scored.

LW Andersson, 0+0+0+1+1+0 = 2
C Darren Helm, 0+0+2+3+0+0 = 5
RW Pulkkinen, 0+0+0+2+0+0 = 2
---------------------- 3rd line didn't impress. They defended well, but offense was gone. Andersson had 5 total attempts at Ottawa, now only 2. Typical game fro Helm, lots of chances, and those won't transform into goals. It's just not fair that Pulkkinen has to play with these two bums. Either can't pass him a good scoring chance. He has to be a playmaker on this line and that won't work either.

LW Miller, 0+0+0+1+0+0 = 1
C Glendening, 0+0+0+0+0+0 = 0
RW Ferraro, 0+0+2+0+0+0 = 2
----------------------- Line was total defensive Gledening did shut down Johnson again. Good work. Ferraro had some nice chances. He will score in becoming games.

LD DeKeyser, 0+1+0+0+0+0 = 1
RD Ericsson, 0+0+0+1+0+0 = 1
LD Kronwall, 0+0+1+2+0+0 = 3
RD Smith, 0+0+2+0+0+0 = 2
LD Kindl, 0+1+2+0+0+0 = 3
RD Marchenko, 0+0+0+0+0+0 = 0

Defence just worked again. I don't mean offensively, but overall. Breaking up that Kronwall-Ericsson changed everything.

Last edited:

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I was happy with the intensity we played with. Been missing a lot this year. Breaking up Kronner and Big E just works. Nyquist had a really good game aside from one play where he needs to shoot not pass. Howard solid. Ferraro did a lot of good things. He will get better and even give the 4th a guy who can score. Tatar played with intensity. Overall decent effort, happy with the win

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Sheahan scored, why on earth doesn't he use that GREAT SHOT more. God dammit. Get this non-shooting "Filppula" -attitude out of him. Shooooot shoooot shooooot, and we could have a new Franzen in here. That was so typical "Franzen" goal he scored

Said it in the Sheahan thread yesterday, every time he does that I wonder why he doesn't shoot more. Looked like a pretty nice set play.

And Larkin's getting quite good at the "Fedorov" move isn't he?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What is this Fedorov move? I remember Sergei was very good goong past left side left-handed defenceman with protecting the puck and attaking on the net. Usually shot on the back corner.

Well first off it should be said Fedorov did every move in hockey as flawlessly as anyone I have ever seen in hockey, so a specific move isn't totally accurate. Mario and Fedorov, those are the two most talented players I have ever seen.

But the staple Fedorov "move" was the tripod of the stick at full flight on the D-man. Larkin does it a lot, honestly probably the top 10 frequency in terms of guys that do it since prime Fedorov in the entire league and it is young in his career. Certainly the best Wings player I have seen at it since. He does it once a game, comes down the wing, puts it between the D-man his stick and body and scoots or powers through them to make a scoring chance.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
What is this Fedorov move? I remember Sergei was very good goong past left side left-handed defenceman with protecting the puck and attaking on the net. Usually shot on the back corner.

Basically comes down his off wing, protects the puck with his backhand, goes round the outside of the D, beats him with speed to get half a step, pushes it to the forehand and gets a wrister off. Sergei scored a lot of goals like that.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Well first off it should be said Fedorov did every move in hockey as flawlessly as anyone I have ever seen in hockey, so a specific move isn't totally accurate. Mario and Fedorov, those are the two most talented players I have ever seen.

But the staple Fedorov "move" was the tripod of the stick at full flight on the D-man. Larkin does it a lot, honestly probably the top 10 frequency in terms of guys that do it since prime Fedorov in the entire league and it is young in his career. Certainly the best Wings player I have seen at it since. He does it once a game, comes down the wing, puts it between the D-man his stick and body and scoots or powers through them to make a scoring chance.

I do not know if it is called a blind zone. But when he pushes/slides the puck between the defenceman's stick and his body, it is impossible for the defenceman to react.

Actual Thought*

All our games against Tampa seem to be chess-matches. I'm just happy that it seems like Blashill knows how to coach against them, it almost seems like we have a mental advantage against them despite our playoff loss.
I think we have a positive trend going in the last 4-5 games or so. Would like us to limit shots against a little bit more but can't ask too much with Green/Dats/Richards/Quincey out.

Not sure. I'm not concerned with points for Abby. He's been very effective as the net-front guy, and while he hasn't been finishing on chances for a while that line has still overall been effective. It's almost a good thing if he doesn't repeat last season, makes him easier to re-sign.

Tampa has been struggling. They simply haven't been playing well and that helps to make us look better. They still played well enough to win but Howard was very good and Tampa kept hitting posts and crossbars. We also got an incredibly lucky bounce that basically gave us the win. It's great they got the 2 points but they still had tons of giveaways. The game really wasn't much of a departure from what we have been seeing with the exception of the W as a result. Encouraging but far from good enough.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Tampa has been struggling. They simply haven't been playing well and that helps to make us look better. They still played well enough to win but Howard was very good and Tampa kept hitting posts and crossbars. We also got an incredibly lucky bounce that basically gave us the win. It's great they got the 2 points but they still had tons of giveaways. The game really wasn't much of a departure from what we have been seeing with the exception of the W as a result. Encouraging but far from good enough.

Tampa's only goal was incredibly lucky too, without even mentioning the fact that the delay of game penalty to put us on a 5-on-3 penalty kill was incredibly flukey as well.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Tampa's only goal was incredibly lucky too, without even mentioning the fact that the delay of game penalty to put us on a 5-on-3 penalty kill was incredibly flukey as well.

They also hit like 5 posts. Some nights, it just won't go in. It was a very very close game.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
They also hit like 5 posts. Some nights, it just won't go in. It was a very very close game.

Yeah. It could easily have been a blowout loss for us. I really dont remember us getting tons of scoring chances... We are lucky to have converted on the ones that we did

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
3 or 4 those goal posts came on a powerplay resulting from a penalty that never should have been called in the first place

not to mention tampa's goal was on a 5 on 3 and a lucky bounce at that

you can always tell those posters who have it out for blashill as they will find every possible way to downgrade this team, even in a win

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
3 or 4 those goal posts came on a powerplay resulting from a penalty that never should have been called in the first place

you can always tell those posters who have it out for blashill as they will find every possible way to downgrade this team, even in a win

And there is never praise for Blashill after a win, only criticism when they lose.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Except I like Blashill and if anything have been defending making any judgments until we get further into the season.

You just need to be thoroughly objective about everything. It's ridiculous to blame Blashill, especially since it started at around the game 5 mark. Especially because many of the problems seem to be played based on not coach based. Coaches can't just make the players stop making terrible passes. Coaches can't just will goals to go in. Tampa, Anaheim are basically the same teams as last season and they both are struggling mightily even with the same coach. Sometimes it's the players.

That said, you can't look at the game against Tampa and say we crushed them or that it wasn't super close where we got some real lucky bounces. That is an exceptional number of posts for a single game and not all of them were because Jimmy got a piece of it.

You can't act like every win is the same. Some wins are eked out while others are earned through overwhelming control of the pace of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad