Post-Game Talk: Not bad

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
list these 4-5 key players we are missing

My avatar first and foremost. KFQ is a #4 slotted as a #5 for us due to those above him. Green is a #3-4 who by the way has only played with his expected partner in preseason a total of 3 out of 22 games counting the 10 in pre season. Richards who was supposed to be a capable possession type player (lawl) and vet for our top 9.
Franzen who is a proven vet top 6 performer/cup winner.

So there is your 5 right there. We have done well all things considered. we are marking time until at least 3 return and Kenny can get a hint of what he has this year. Granted that would be abhorrent to think he would trade a roster player for X cause as we all know that **** ain't happening.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Sort of, it would be nice to go on a nice run here with all the home games and Dats and Green back soon.

American Thanksgiving is actually kind of a big deal in terms of what the standings say historically. Not the be all end all, but they do tell a story in terms of how the season shapes up typically.

Obviously because of what Detroit is missing right now, they could be one of the couple outliers in terms of this season, also the breaking in the new system. But being in a playoff spot in the standings three weeks from now has actually usually meant good things.

Yeah I am hopeful when Green, KFQ, and Dats return we can run up a favorable 65% win % over the home stretch. But it will be 1/3rd to 1/4 over when Dats gets back on the ice for his game #1.

DDK is now starting to break the rust off which is good. Big Rig looks good with him. Solid shut down pair that eats top 4 minutes that has been moving the puck well all things considered. Might be a bit early but it could be the best 2nd pairing since Stuart-Kronner.

Hopefully Green starts rounding into form by game #20-25. Though these 2 injuries he has had sucked for getting used to the new system.

Dats will probably take his usual 3-5 game stretch to start firing on all cylinders. Though I worry that he will have a similiar year to Z last year missing the offseason training.

I know Thanksgiving is the usual time GM's like to look at. However with all things considered (injury wise and system familiarity) I would bet Kenny is holding off to around Dec 15 or so because of that.

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
Gotta say, I know it has only been two games, but Ericsson looks good with Dekeyser. I'd keep them together and put Kronwall and Green together when Green gets back.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
Miracle win. Almost blown by Andersson and Miller.

Need more efforts like this and continued great goaltending. Howard showing he is still a #1 in this league. There are worse problems than two great goalies

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I think we've been looking at this wrong. Smith didn't get bumped up to the first pair. DeKeyser got bumped up to the first pair. Think about it....

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Great game by the Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist line. All 3 had one of their best games of the season. Gus just had a few too many cute passes in situations where he could have shot the puck, but he was constantly challenging their defense. Sheahan obviously had great goal but even before that happened I thought he looked very good. Need more of that from him. And Tatar is on a positive trend and starting to look like the possession machine he is at his best.

Abby-Z-Larkin were quiet the first 2 periods but not bad, and then had a great 3rd. Larkin's strength is, as I've said before, that he just keeps skating and he pretty much brings it every shift. Eventually he always seems to break through and get some chances due to that constant effort. It's one of the best signs you can see in a young player, and I much prefer it over a guy that has flashes of brilliant skill but doesn't bring it every shift/game.

Howard was great, I love this goaltending situation.

Defense looked pretty good. Smith had a strong game, DD and E looked good and Kindl didn't suck. Still hope Kindl is bumped out when Green returns as opposed to Marchenko. Would like two RH-LH pairings.

Overall this team seems to be getting more comfortable. The trend the last 5 games or so is positive in terms of shot-totals and general structure. Hopefully that continues and the addition of Green/Dats can kinda push us over the top to make us a solid winning team.

I think we've been looking at this wrong. Smith didn't get bumped up to the first pair. DeKeyser got bumped up to the first pair. Think about it....
Some truth to that actually. Icetime is split pretty evenly between the two pairings. I imagine if Green returns and is paired with Kronner that will become more of a 1st pairing again.

Should we even count Franzen anymore?
Probably not.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Are we to Tampa what Carolina is to us?

But seriously what's up with Tampa this season? Same coach, same roster basically. What's the problem? Just a slow start?

Howard undisputed #1. How doesn't he get that nod from the arena?
13-14 games into the season, 2-3 games vs those teams. We struggled to beat Bolts last season.
Do you guys not remember Tampa from last season? They have nothing going on this year.
14 games. What do they have to prove in October?
Will Nyquist please start shooting the damn puck?

Z is the man.
Nyquist did not score vs Bolts, but we won.:amazed::amazed:Is it possible??
They played like crap the last year their captain was holding a personal decision over the team... Just saying.

I know people will say cup hangover, but I think that Stamkos thing is an issue in that dressing room.

Also I don't believe in Ben Bishop at all still, their best goalie is the young Russian.
Really? Bishop is very good.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Barack-Obama-Michelle-Obama-not-bad.jpg

Richards is going to be pushed out of this lineup very quickly.

Hopefully he can pick it up and find a spot on the third line, but I don't expect it.

Yeah I've read around here a lot, Detroit is the pasture. I think about how many players have ended their NHL career within the last few years- Commodore, Modano, Salei, Rafalski, Alfredsson, Weiss, Samuelsson, I'm sure the list goes on and on. We're keeping our heads above water without him we'll have to see what part Richards plays this season.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Larkin and Howard are the obvious top 2, and I think Nyquist played a hell of a game.
Nyquist always plays well vs Bolts.
What do you mean?
Should we even count Franzen anymore?
Probably not.
Barack-Obama-Michelle-Obama-not-bad.jpg

Yeah I've read around here a lot, Detroit is the pasture. I think about how many players have ended their NHL career within the last few years- Commodore, Modano, Salei, Rafalski, Alfredsson, Weiss, Samuelsson, I'm sure the list goes on and on. We're keeping our heads above water without him we'll have to see what part Richards plays this season.

I kind of think Richards will not work out here. He seems good with Tatar, but I do not know.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Are we a better team with Quincey on the ice or Kindl?

Only 1 of those injuries is a game changer, but every one of them makes the team better when they're playing.

Thought you were joking. Assumed it was inarguable that that Quincey was the better option of what's available. That said, Kindl didn't look too bad last night.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Thought you were joking. Assumed it was inarguable that that Quincey was the better option of what's available. That said, Kindl didn't look too bad last night.

Well he did ask who of our injured players are "key" players, that's the part I thought was arguable about Quincey, he's a bottom pairing defenceman and even though hes an upgrade on Kindl, I'm not sure how key any bottom pairing defenceman is.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I kind of think Richards will not work out here. He seems good with Tatar, but I do not know.
I didn't think Richards looked awful. Just kinda ineffective. But my expectations aren't too high. He was doing pretty well on faceoffs and he should be a help on the PP. As #3C I think he can be good, especially if he still has something left in the tank for the playoffs (if we get there).

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Well he did ask who of our injured players are "key" players, that's the part I thought was arguable about Quincey, he's a bottom pairing defenceman and even though hes an upgrade on Kindl, I'm not sure how key any bottom pairing defenceman is.

I'd argue Q's more key than Richards at this point judging by what I've seen so far. Hopefully Richards proves me wrong.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
I didn't think Richards looked awful. Just kinda ineffective. But my expectations aren't too high. He was doing pretty well on faceoffs and he should be a help on the PP. As #3C I think he can be good, especially if he still has something left in the tank for the playoffs (if we get there).

I'm still holding out hope he can fill the 2c roll (dunno if he can at this point, though). Z is playing so well, I'd prefer to move him to the Wing so he's into run into the ground by the end of December.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

Quincey gives us solid top 4 whether he plays there or not.
We have in this order (I rank them)
1 Kronwall
2 DeKeyser
3 Green
4 Ericsson
5 Quincey
6 Smith
7 Kindl
When everybody healthy Blashill can see what he can do. It seems Smith is no so useless when paired with Kronwall.
It seems Ericsson is better when paired with DeKeyser. Surprise, DeKeyser makes everyone looks better.

I hope he will succeed here, I am just a bit causious. He had some chemistry with Tatar.

I hope we get Datsyuk back soon. We Are very bad at faceoffs.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Abdelkader's first point in 9 games. Surprised we haven't talked about that drought more.

My honest opinion is that besides the first game Abdelkader has regressed back to his old self. He just lacks the skill to contribute offensively. Every time I say this he goes on a goal streak and makes me eat crow, but honestly he's killed a lot of potential goals Z fed him this year.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Abdelkader has done very well in front of the net on the PP. Tatar has at least two goals to thank him for.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Seems like a nice win. Glad to be on the winning side again. Well we got Babs and Toronto Friday. We don't need to be losing to them.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I think we played well enough to win but we were not overly dominating. Overall, I was pretty happy with the effort. The team has looked much better the past two games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad