Post-Game Talk: Not bad

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Except I like Blashill and if anything have been defending making any judgments until we get further into the season.

You just need to be thoroughly objective about everything. It's ridiculous to blame Blashill, especially since it started at around the game 5 mark. Especially because many of the problems seem to be played based on not coach based. Coaches can't just make the players stop making terrible passes. Coaches can't just will goals to go in. Tampa, Anaheim are basically the same teams as last season and they both are struggling mightily even with the same coach. Sometimes it's the players.

That said, you can't look at the game against Tampa and say we crushed them or that it wasn't super close where we got some real lucky bounces. That is an exceptional number of posts for a single game and not all of them were because Jimmy got a piece of it.

You can't act like every win is the same. Some wins are eked out while others are earned through overwhelming control of the pace of the game.

You win some you should lose and you lose some you should win.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Except I like Blashill and if anything have been defending making any judgments until we get further into the season.

You just need to be thoroughly objective about everything. It's ridiculous to blame Blashill, especially since it started at around the game 5 mark. Especially because many of the problems seem to be played based on not coach based. Coaches can't just make the players stop making terrible passes. Coaches can't just will goals to go in. Tampa, Anaheim are basically the same teams as last season and they both are struggling mightily even with the same coach. Sometimes it's the players.

That said, you can't look at the game against Tampa and say we crushed them or that it wasn't super close where we got some real lucky bounces. That is an exceptional number of posts for a single game and not all of them were because Jimmy got a piece of it.

You can't act like every win is the same. Some wins are eked out while others are earned through overwhelming control of the pace of the game.

Posts are also not goals. Yeah they make you think "man if that was any closer it would have been a goal", but they weren't, so they aren't.

I don't see the "posts are lucky" argument, because it isn't like if it hits that post at the exact same angle another time it is going into the net.

No, we did not dominate Tampa, and that was a pretty evenly matched game, but we were able to put a lot of chances on their end and bring home a win. These last two games are something we as fans can use to hope that Blashill's system is coming together. Doesn't prove that it is, but it definitely is more reassuring to see the team put together two 60-minute efforts to get regulation wins.

Actual Thought*

Posts are also not goals. Yeah they make you think "man if that was any closer it would have been a goal", but they weren't, so they aren't.

I don't see the "posts are lucky" argument, because it isn't like if it hits that post at the exact same angle another time it is going into the net.

No, we did not dominate Tampa, and that was a pretty evenly matched game, but we were able to put a lot of chances on their end and bring home a win. These last two games are something we as fans can use to hope that Blashill's system is coming together. Doesn't prove that it is, but it definitely is more reassuring to see the team put together two 60-minute efforts to get regulation wins.

Long way to go. I haven't seen a solid 60 minute performance yet. It is a refreshing change to get a couple of wins though.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Long way to go. I haven't seen a solid 60 minute performance yet. It is a refreshing change to get a couple of wins though.

What would you describe as a solid 60 minute effort? Every single shift in the game being a dominant affair?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Because hockey is a very random sport. Since most of the time one team does not hit that many posts in a game. Most of the time that 2 on 1 with Jimmy on the ice sliding doesn't result in a completely wide shot. Yes, it is absolutely lucky. Just like when a player shoots at a 15% SH it's lucky. You could say the same thing there. If he shoots it in the net the same way it's still a goal and if he hadn't hit the net it wouldn't be a goal. That doesn't mean the trend isn't lucky and unsustainable. Most nights you cannot count on that many posts saving your butt. Half might go even further outside, the other half are going a fraction of an inch inside and into the net.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
If you are factoring in a post shot potentially going into the net, you also have to factor in a post shot potentially missing the net entirely. You can't just say "oh it was luck" when it was their shot that did not register a shot on net. We aren't talking about a guy's stick breaking on a wide open chance. That is the kind of luck you can't expect to get every game.

It's like saying "he beat the goaltender but not the post." If the goaltender was beat, it should have went into the net. It didn't.

Not to mention the Wings aren't relying on posts every night. That was one isolated game where Tampa had numerous post shots.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I didn't see most of the post shots in this game... but being a goalie myself (at a much much much lower level, of course), I can tell you that a lot of post shots are goalie-forced. You block as much as you can and leave them a little sliver inbetween you and the post. If they can pot it in the little opening you've left, you tip your hat. Otherwise, you know the puck isn't going into the net because of your positioning.

You can't block everything when you're in net. Sometimes, you position yourself to only give low percentage chances. If you count those low percentage chances not going in as luck, then it's luck. But it is luck that is influenced by the goaltender's position.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If you are factoring in a post shot potentially going into the net, you also have to factor in a post shot potentially missing the net entirely. You can't just say "oh it was luck" when it was their shot that did not register a shot on net. We aren't talking about a guy's stick breaking on a wide open chance. That is the kind of luck you can't expect to get every game.

It's like saying "he beat the goaltender but not the post." If the goaltender was beat, it should have went into the net. It didn't.

Not to mention the Wings aren't relying on posts every night. That was one isolated game where Tampa had numerous post shots.

Brings to mind a Mighty Ducks quote...

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

I also noticed we had a lot of attempted shots from behind, where our players tried to knock in the puck off of the goalie. Those do not count as shots, or do they?
I didn't see most of the post shots in this game... but being a goalie myself (at a much much much lower level, of course), I can tell you that a lot of post shots are goalie-forced. You block as much as you can and leave them a little sliver inbetween you and the post. If they can pot it in the little opening you've left, you tip your hat. Otherwise, you know the puck isn't going into the net because of your positioning.

You can't block everything when you're in net. Sometimes, you position yourself to only give low percentage chances. If you count those low percentage chances not going in as luck, then it's luck. But it is luck that is influenced by the goaltender's position.
70% yes, 30% no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad