Series Talk: North Division Round 1: Leafs (1) vs. Canadiens (4)

Series Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Opening up is like playing golf or going to a patio, not putting hundreds or thousands into an indoor arena. I also don't think 'soon' is in the next few weeks, they already extended the lockdown to June 2 which is the week round 2 would start. We won't go from this to sitting in an arena.
Trudeau is negotiating to open borders. Perhaps the Sabres could lend us their arena. That would be the best of both worlds, no? Buffalo gets tourism money and we get to pack the arena with die-hard Leafs fans. :naughty:

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Trudeau is negotiating to open borders. Perhaps the Sabres could lend us their arena. That would be the best of both worlds, no? Buffalo gets tourism money and we get to pack the arena with die-hard Leafs fans. :naughty:
If they are opening borders and would allow Leafs fans to go over for games, they would just allow US teams to fly into Toronto...

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Opening up is like playing golf or going to a patio, not putting hundreds or thousands into an indoor arena. I also don't think 'soon' is in the next few weeks, they already extended the lockdown to June 2 which is the week round 2 would start. We won't go from this to sitting in an arena.

But why the US can do it and we can't? I don't get it.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Am I the only one who hates the balanced PPs. I get it has sucked but I have a lot more faith that stacking the lines may get it going in the playoffs. Play them 90 seconds and switch Nylander and Marner to give two legit shots from the sides. Also work a down low play with Marner to Tavares in the slot. I am hoping playoff Joe has something to add but I can’t help but feel like I am watching Gauthier when I see him with the puck. I hope he proves me wrong.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
It works for Kucherov because he's a legitimate one time threat. Marner can't shoot like him, and Matthews can't pass like him. Marner gets the puck, you don't have to fully respect the shot. Matthews gets the puck, you don't have to fully respect the pass.

I really think they should try giving Nylander more agency. Guy's made for 5v4.

There's more than one way to line it up. Marner can pass, Tavares can shoot. Nylander can pass, Matthews can shoot. And yes, Matthews can pass well enough, he has an incredibly hard, fast pass.

And it's not like a quick puck-moving powerplay only works when you've got Kucherov on the unit, there's plenty of successful teams in this league that don't have him or anyone like him.

Lastly, again, this isn't that difficult. Watch Tampa's PPs last night. Hedman walks in from the point, no-look to Kucherov that pulls Bob over expecting the shot, Kuch instead quickly moves it to Point in the slot. Reilly, Marner/Nylander/Matthews aren't capable of plays like that? I'll answer that, of course they are.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
1:22: Marner can pass, and that's a heck of a lot longer than to the slot.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Actually because of a much larger number of anti-vaxxers in the US the percentage of first dose it's not that far off.

It's also a just a cultural thing, they are willing to open up when similar numbers would cause a lockdown in Canada.
Good point about the cultural difference.

I think a critical mass will hit the U.S. (if it hasn't happened already in some places) where they'll have to ship excess vaccine to neighbouring countries.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Good point about the cultural difference.

I think a critical mass will hit the U.S. (if it hasn't happened already in some places) where they'll have to ship excess vaccine to neighbouring countries.

There was a news story today about them shipping their supply to other countries now. Not to mention the story where North Dakota said people from Manitoba can come and get their vaccine.

They are at the point of everyone who doesn't need convincing has one now we have to convince all the hesitant and anti-vaxers. Google the "Tuskegee Syphillis Study"

There are lots of stories about basically bribing people. Gift cards, a bar giving out free drinks, a minor league sports team gave free tickets i think.

Reactions: keonsbitterness

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Call me pessimistic but I don’t like the lineup or the pp setup.
Nash is a 4th liner and doesn’t belong on the third line.
First pp unit should be.....
Matthews Marner Tavares sandin. and simmonds net front.
Hyman cannot be on the first unit because he can’t move the puck.
Ughh!

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I just hope we bring the intensity instead of responding to it. Assert ourselves as the physical team so we're not playing catch up trying to crush their guys (ala Kadri). Set the tone that were playing physical.

Reactions: Rob Brown

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Am I the only one who hates the balanced PPs. I get it has sucked but I have a lot more faith that stacking the lines may get it going in the playoffs. Play them 90 seconds and switch Nylander and Marner to give two legit shots from the sides. Also work a down low play with Marner to Tavares in the slot. I am hoping playoff Joe has something to add but I can’t help but feel like I am watching Gauthier when I see him with the puck. I hope he proves me wrong.

I hate it....but at this point try anything.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Has Sportsnet officially said which play by play teams are calling the Canadian series?

I assume Cuthbert + Simpson for Leafs v Habs and Sing + ? for Oilers v Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad