Series Talk: North Division Round 1: Leafs (1) vs. Canadiens (4)

Series Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
Can anyone who is posting on the mainboards series thread share with me the appeal of discussing in a mainboards playoffs thread? Any critical thought applied to anything is responded with hoards of comments about "playoff series win lolllll". It's not even entertaining trash talk it's just all the same shit over and over. What is your attitude going into it and posting and the reaction you get from the replies that actually brings a positive element into your life?

Haters will hate. They will never give credit. They will always resort to ad hominem attacks. whether it’s the Leafs winning a playoff series or 1967 narrative. They will nitpick on something.

The same people crowning McDavid the greatest this season will be the same people putting an asterisk on the Leafs if we were to win it all this year.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Outside of Makar and Hamilton, who is part of an effective PP?

I should have been clearer. My point was that guys shooting from the point aren't effective. Peak Leafs PP was Marner throwing the puck to the front of the net and having JVR/Kadri/Bozak whack away.

The leafs currently use Nylander and Tavares. Nylander doesn't touch the puck unless it goes behind the net. Tavares doesn't touch the puck at all.

This to me is the actual issue. Our powerplay is completely one dimensional.

Rielly to Marner to Matthews.
Rielly to Marner - oh he shot it into the netting
Rielly - oh this time he shot it into the netting
Change for the last 20 seconds.

The Leafs really need to find a way to activate Tavares more on the powerplay.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
The only one that are actually from the GTA are Tavares, Marner, Hyman, Spezza, Simmonds, and Dermott.

Contrary to what some Torontonians think, the GTA does not cover all of southwestern Ontario.

Thornton is from London, ON (~190 km from Toronto)
Brodie is from Chatham, ON (~290 km)
Muzzin is from Woodstock, ON (~140 km)

And kinda Foligno???? Sudbury is ~400 km from Toronto! He's closer to the GTA if you consider his birthplace of Buffalo (~160 km). Heck Ben Hutton's birthplace of Brockville ON (~340 km) and Jack Campbell's hometown of Port Huron, MI (296 km) are both closer than Sudbury.
Joe Thornton is St. Thomas if we're clearly being nitpicky, but I get your point. I suppose I should have just said boys from Southern Ontario instead of GTA, you're right. Either way, still really like that fact and that was the point. I didn't mention Hutton just because I don't think he's in the starting 6 on the backend.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Montreal Canadiens finished with 59 points in 56 games which is just slightly above a .500 hockey team and have been gifted a playoff spot simply because they played in North Div and there are 3 teams of the 7 that are even worse then them. Montreal is still ranked #16 and last among all playoff teams this season.

Last year when the season stopped suddenly Habs were at 71 points in 71 games exactly .500 hockey and again gifted a playoff opportunity in the play-in round as the weakest of all the participants.

The #6 ranked Leafs should make quick work of the Canadiens winning the series 4-1 after finishing +18 points better in the standings as on paper this series is not close. That said last year the heavily favoured Pens with Crosby and Malkin finished +15 points ahead of Habs and lost 3-1 in that 5 game series.

Hopefully our Leafs learned from last years upset to CBJ, and what happened to Pittsburgh and play up to their potential this year and move on to round #2.

harvestglen

Oct 29, 2013
Watching the recaps of last year's series and found Rielly's play rather disconcerting there too. The one giveaway leading to a goal in game 4 was egregious, but there were a few times where his decision-making led to a goal or missed opportunity.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
The only one that are actually from the GTA are Tavares, Marner, Hyman, Spezza, Simmonds, and Dermott.

Contrary to what some Torontonians think, the GTA does not cover all of southwestern Ontario.

Thornton is from London, ON (~190 km from Toronto)
Brodie is from Chatham, ON (~290 km)
Muzzin is from Woodstock, ON (~140 km)

And kinda Foligno???? Sudbury is ~400 km from Toronto! He's closer to the GTA if you consider his birthplace of Buffalo (~160 km). Heck Ben Hutton's birthplace of Brockville ON (~340 km) and Jack Campbell's hometown of Port Huron, MI (296 km) are both closer than Sudbury.
Muzzin and Brodie grew up as Leafs fans and are still close to Toronto so it's pretty easy to group them up with the "Toronto boys".

Reactions: Nylander88

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Can anyone who is posting on the mainboards series thread share with me the appeal of discussing in a mainboards playoffs thread? Any critical thought applied to anything is responded with hoards of comments about "playoff series win lolllll". It's not even entertaining trash talk it's just all the same shit over and over. What is your attitude going into it and posting and the reaction you get from the replies that actually brings a positive element into your life?

Is it any different in here? Half of this thread is talking about the need to blow up our team.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
for the first time I am hoping the Leafs lose in the playoffs. It would be brutal waiting all this time for a Cup and the year they finally win it there are no fans cheering and they don't even get a parade.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019

In general across all NHL discussion, there are some great posters and amusing arguments. Lots of trolls and dumb shit too though.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
This to me is the actual issue. Our powerplay is completely one dimensional.

Rielly to Marner - oh he shot it into the netting
Rielly - oh this time he shot it into the netting
Change for the last 20 seconds.

The Leafs really need to find a way to activate Tavares more on the powerplay.

This is all true, but it's more than that, but also a fairly easy solution: Not only are they one-dimensional (and therefore predictable), they hold onto the puck way too long looking for a lane, coupled with the fact their targets barely move and it makes it easy for the defenders to take away passing lanes.

Watching their PP lately I see Marner, Matthews, Nylander all holding the puck looking for an opening for seconds while the defenders close the gap(s). Way too cautious. The answer then is much quicker puck movement and more movement from the 4 without the puck.

One simple example: Reilly gets the puck at the point, moves a few feet laterally drawing defenders to one side then quickly dishes to either Matthews/Marner on the side wall, simultaneously one/both of Tavares/Nylander jump into the slot and Mitch/Auston feed them a one-timer. Tic-tac-toe. No time for defenders to close the lanes.

Honestly, it really is that simple. Players without the puck keep moving to get open & spread defenders, feed the puck to the sides, quick pass/redirect to the slot/down low for the shot.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
for the first time I am hoping the Leafs lose in the playoffs. It would be brutal waiting all this time for a Cup and the year they finally win it there are no fans cheering and they don't even get a parade.

You take it when you can. Since when can we be choosy as Leafs fans when they win it? I just want them to win. Period.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Interested to see how line rushes look today. That'll be the tell tale on what we'll see for game 1. Keefe loses the coy excuses of just playing around with things like he said last week when Nash was getting line rushes and Gally and Engvall were on the outside looking in. These are going to be practice days with the lineup they'll roll with in the opener. Excited to see how it shakes out

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Sorry, but I don’t agree. Tampa didn’t make drastic changes because they had gone deep in previous seasons, we haven’t. I’m not even sure getting by Montreal but then losing to Edmonton will be good enough. I think it’s put up or shut up time with this core.

I agree,TB isn't a good comparison at all.

Yeah trade Mitch Marner cause your feelings are hurt and then spend another 20 years waiting for another Mitch Marner...and people think that is the way to win. It is hilarious really.

I don't think anyone's saying trade Marner, that's so 2020. ;)

Reactions: Beleafer34

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
59r12w.jpg

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Well I doubt I'll read a dumber take than this one today. Well done.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Montreal Canadiens finished with 59 points in 56 games which is just slightly above a .500 hockey team and have been gifted a playoff spot simply because they played in North Div and there are 3 teams of the 7 that are even worse then them. Montreal is still ranked #16 and last among all playoff teams this season.

Last year when the season stopped suddenly Habs were at 71 points in 71 games exactly .500 hockey and again gifted a playoff opportunity in the play-in round as the weakest of all the participants.

The #6 ranked Leafs should make quick work of the Canadiens winning the series 4-1 after finishing +18 points better in the standings as on paper this series is not close. That said last year the heavily favoured Pens with Crosby and Malkin finished +15 points ahead of Habs and lost 3-1 in that 5 game series.

Hopefully our Leafs learned from last years upset to CBJ, and what happened to Pittsburgh and play up to their potential this year and move on to round #2.
It does show you that all you have to do is make the playoffs even undeserved and anything can happen.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Rielly is zero shooting threat. Whenever the puck heads his way the other team already knows to just cover the other four guys and pressure them when the pass from Rielly shows up
Cool, Rielly doesn't QB the powerplay either, so not sure what your point is

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Conversely, he's finishing the season with only three losses, and 2/3 have happened after the team clinched the playoffs and the teams skaters have stopped playing to their best while waiting for the playoffs

I would maybe agree if they weren't losing games where they were outshooting the other club every night. I think we just have a different opinion on what constitutes a solid outing.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
You're cherry-picking: He's been above .900 in 6 of his last 8, 5 of those .910 and higher. It was the 4 games prior to that he put up bad numbers. Besides, during those last ~8 games the Leafs had little to play for, yet he still did reasonably well behind an unmotivated team.

12 games is the last half of his season so I wouldn't call that cherry picking and 4 games is all his starts in May except against the 28th place Canucks. Reasonably well looks like one soft one a night. Anyways we know the guy has another gear and the playoffs are a new season. I am expecting them to win but I want them at their best and that is Jack as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad