North Bay Battalion 2021-2022 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patricia

Aug 25, 2018
A bit of an insult to me to not start Joe V in probably his last home start...
If this *is* Joe V's last game in green, does he go pro right off the hop or does he get sent back for his OA year in Junior? Either way, it presents the kind of problem a lot of GM's would kind of want to have. You have 2 legit #1's in the crease; Joe V's been an absolute workhorse in his time here, but DiVincentiis is younger, and he's ready, Been playing well, so I doubt he's going to want to stay a backup much longer - nor is Joe V going take being demoted by a 17 year old very well. When does trading open for next season?....I could see North Bay dealing Joe V sooner rather than later; after the small suitcase of players/picks Kitchener got from Hamilton for Xhekaj, I could see North Bay's possible asking price for JV be similar. Some questions on my mind going into what should be a crazy off season in Battalion Country:
- What's the biggest issue that needs to be addressed? Two things, from my POV. Their defence needs to be harder to play against - especially with (potentially) a young, 1st yr. #1 between the pipes. Ladd is gone for sure, and I'm not sure what's up with Lukin. If he could work on his skating and keeping control of his aggression, he could be an absolute wrecking ball on the blue line. Gauvreau, Mathurin, Nelson, Christopolous, Winslow (OA?) and Lukin would make for a good top 6.
b.) I don't know if anyone else heard it, but North Bay's announcers directly pitched the Battalion to (potentially) one of its biggest game breakers in Adam Fantilli. I don't think Dennis would have made the deal for his rights if he didn't think he had a legitimate shot at persuading him to come over to the OHL. *If* they could, that would make the Battalion a nightmare for opposing defences every night. They're losing a good chunk of offence with the graduation of Russell and Coe (and maybe Petrov) - bringing Fantilli into the fold would be a huge "get" for sure.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If this *is* Joe V's last game in green, does he go pro right off the hop or does he get sent back for his OA year in Junior? Either way, it presents the kind of problem a lot of GM's would kind of want to have. You have 2 legit #1's in the crease; Joe V's been an absolute workhorse in his time here, but DiVincentiis is younger, and he's ready, Been playing well, so I doubt he's going to want to stay a backup much longer - nor is Joe V going take being demoted by a 17 year old very well. When does trading open for next season?....I could see North Bay dealing Joe V sooner rather than later; after the small suitcase of players/picks Kitchener got from Hamilton for Xhekaj, I could see North Bay's possible asking price for JV be similar. Some questions on my mind going into what should be a crazy off season in Battalion Country:
- What's the biggest issue that needs to be addressed? Two things, from my POV. Their defence needs to be harder to play against - especially with (potentially) a young, 1st yr. #1 between the pipes. Ladd is gone for sure, and I'm not sure what's up with Lukin. If he could work on his skating and keeping control of his aggression, he could be an absolute wrecking ball on the blue line. Gauvreau, Mathurin, Nelson, Christopolous, Winslow (OA?) and Lukin would make for a good top 6.
b.) I don't know if anyone else heard it, but North Bay's announcers directly pitched the Battalion to (potentially) one of its biggest game breakers in Adam Fantilli. I don't think Dennis would have made the deal for his rights if he didn't think he had a legitimate shot at persuading him to come over to the OHL. *If* they could, that would make the Battalion a nightmare for opposing defences every night. They're losing a good chunk of offence with the graduation of Russell and Coe (and maybe Petrov) - bringing Fantilli into the fold would be a huge "get" for sure.
A big tell on the Fantilli front will be if Dennis trades for the rights of Luca, Adam's brother.

It seems they've been inseparable to this point and convincing Luca to go to school in Canada might be the ticket. Adam might be a one and done, possibly going pro straight out of the draft. But I have a hard time seeing Luca getting a lot of icetime in the Wolverines program.

As an OA, trading for Luca would be at the expense of Avery Winslow or one of the OA forwards though. It's tough to forecast the kind of impact Luca would have on the defense. But adding Adam would make them a powerhouse offense.

In regards to Petrov, I have a very hard time seeing him in Bakersfield next season. They have an abundance of wingers in the organization and icetime will be very hard to come by. Bourgault and Tullio turn pro next season. Lavoie, Holloway and Benson there already. And it's possible they bring Maxim Berezhkin over from Russia. There are also vets.

From what I've read he's been super happy about his billet family and just seems like a great kid. North Bay would love to have him here for another year.

Patricia

Aug 25, 2018
A big tell on the Fantilli front will be if Dennis trades for the rights of Luca, Adam's brother.

It seems they've been inseparable to this point and convincing Luca to go to school in Canada might be the ticket. Adam might be a one and done, possibly going pro straight out of the draft. But I have a hard time seeing Luca getting a lot of icetime in the Wolverines program.

As an OA, trading for Luca would be at the expense of Avery Winslow or one of the OA forwards though. It's tough to forecast the kind of impact Luca would have on the defense. But adding Adam would make them a powerhouse offense.

In regards to Petrov, I have a very hard time seeing him in Bakersfield next season. They have an abundance of wingers in the organization and icetime will be very hard to come by. Bourgault and Tullio turn pro next season. Lavoie, Holloway and Benson there already. And it's possible they bring Maxim Berezhkin over from Russia. There are also vets.

From what I've read he's been super happy about his billet family and just seems like a great kid. North Bay would love to have him here for another year.
42 games at Michigan with a stacked team where you may not play as much in your draft year, versus 68 games in a place where you'd be the centrepiece of a team already stacked with offensive firepower... From a place of pure logic, I'd know where I'd want to be coming into my draft year. I get that Adam is loyal to the idea of playing with his brother - and I'm not a selfish person by nature - but at what point does he (and his parents/people around him) start thinking in terms of his long term future? Could continuing to follow Luca around in the hopes of playing with his big brother actually be hurting him more than helping him, especially coming into an important season for his development?

As for trading for Luca's rights....IMO that's a *bad* idea. We need all the help we can get on the back end next year - and Winslow with his play during the team's playoff run has earned the chance to be in North Bay as an overager next year. I think Vrbetic either goes pro next year (either in Laval or Trois Rivieres) or is traded - and with Dom taking over the crease, a good D corps in front of him is only going to help build his confidence. Interesting question here - *if* they elect to trade Vrbetic, what should they try to get in return, and with the package Kitchener got from Hamilton for Xhekaj, could North Bay be in a position to ask for something similar?
Me, I'd want a small suitcase of picks - especially *if* Fantilli comes over; makes sense to replace some (or all ) the picks NB would lose if that deal kicks in.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
July 1 import will tell us the whole story. As for Fantilli - Carl & Bonnie should cut the cord!!

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
42 games at Michigan with a stacked team where you may not play as much in your draft year, versus 68 games in a place where you'd be the centrepiece of a team already stacked with offensive firepower... From a place of pure logic, I'd know where I'd want to be coming into my draft year. I get that Adam is loyal to the idea of playing with his brother - and I'm not a selfish person by nature - but at what point does he (and his parents/people around him) start thinking in terms of his long term future? Could continuing to follow Luca around in the hopes of playing with his big brother actually be hurting him more than helping him, especially coming into an important season for his development?

As for trading for Luca's rights....IMO that's a *bad* idea. We need all the help we can get on the back end next year - and Winslow with his play during the team's playoff run has earned the chance to be in North Bay as an overager next year. I think Vrbetic either goes pro next year (either in Laval or Trois Rivieres) or is traded - and with Dom taking over the crease, a good D corps in front of him is only going to help build his confidence. Interesting question here - *if* they elect to trade Vrbetic, what should they try to get in return, and with the package Kitchener got from Hamilton for Xhekaj, could North Bay be in a position to ask for something similar?
Me, I'd want a small suitcase of picks - especially *if* Fantilli comes over; makes sense to replace some (or all ) the picks NB would lose if that deal kicks in.
I think that Adam will get plenty of icetime in Michigan. I'm not sure where they stand in terms of being competitive for a National Title though.

You're right that him following his brother around may not necessarily put him in the best situation, but I think he's probably on the elite end of the spectrum in terms of skill. So I'm not sure he's hurting his development regardless of where he goes.

If it's ultimately his brother's location determining where Adam will play next season, I think it'll be pretty difficult to convince Luca to forego what I assume is a scholarship to Michigan U. Depends where his head is at.

Assuming you're replacing Winslow with Luca, you'd might end up having to make a pretty sizeable deal in season to get a LHD capable of handling those shutdown duties.

All of that being said, it's a pretty big task convincing Fantilli to commit to North Bay.

Patricia

Aug 25, 2018
I think that Adam will get plenty of icetime in Michigan. I'm not sure where they stand in terms of being competitive for a National Title though.

You're right that him following his brother around may not necessarily put him in the best situation, but I think he's probably on the elite end of the spectrum in terms of skill. So I'm not sure he's hurting his development regardless of where he goes.

If it's ultimately his brother's location determining where Adam will play next season, I think it'll be pretty difficult to convince Luca to forego what I assume is a scholarship to Michigan U. Depends where his head is at.

Assuming you're replacing Winslow with Luca, you'd might end up having to make a pretty sizeable deal in season to get a LHD capable of handling those shutdown duties.

All of that being said, it's a pretty big task convincing Fantilli to commit to North Bay.
I have to wonder though - and I hesitate saying this about any parent (I am one....to 3 sons and a daughter) - how much of this wanting to follow big brother around is about what *he* really wants? Or is it more about his parents talking in his ear and making *their* wishes known?

Reactions: belair

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Some thoughts on the past season:

Kudos to Hamilton’s management and scouts for assembling a powerhouse group like the Bulldogs. Can a team like NB ever spend the players and draft picks that would have to be given up to acquire that type of experienced and skilled team? It would be nice some day to make at least one trip to the Memorial Cup.

Arnsby as Captain was a dud. Things may be different in the dressing room but to an outsider, he seems to lack the leadership and people skills the position calls for and his frequent penalties didn’t help the team. The obvious choice for this season was Coe. Not only did he spend all his junior time here but he was the natural leader other players already looked up to. It would have been fitting for his final year. Next year’s choice? - Ty Nelson - he has been Mr. Energy and Enthusiasm all season long, qualities every team could use.

Although 3k showed up for the last game, going forward, attendance will be a definite concern. The team finished the regular season in second last place with an average of 1817. Only Mississauga was lower but they have access to a much bigger base of potential corporate sponsors. When the high cost of operating an OHL club is considered, the question becomes whether the current level of support is enough to carry on, or does Mr. Abbott and his team start to consider their options. We know covid was a factor for all clubs, but NB also has issues with an aging demographic that finds it hard to attend and a growing proportion of families who face rising costs and simply can’t afford to find room for it in their budgets. Lose a team once and you might get a second chance. Lose a team twice - there’s never a third chance.

Reactions: three dog night

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016

Kudos to Hamilton’s management and scouts for assembling a powerhouse group like the Bulldogs. Can a team like NB ever spend the players and draft picks that would have to be given up to acquire that type of experienced and skilled team? It would be nice some day to make at least one trip to the Memorial Cup.

Arnsby as Captain was a dud. Things may be different in the dressing room but to an outsider, he seems to lack the leadership and people skills the position calls for and his frequent penalties didn’t help the team. The obvious choice for this season was Coe. Not only did he spend all his junior time here but he was the natural leader other players already looked up to. It would have been fitting for his final year. Next year’s choice? - Ty Nelson - he has been Mr. Energy and Enthusiasm all season long, qualities every team could use.

Although 3k showed up for the last game, going forward, attendance will be a definite concern. The team finished the regular season in second last place with an average of 1817. Only Mississauga was lower but they have access to a much bigger base of potential corporate sponsors. When the high cost of operating an OHL club is considered, the question becomes whether the current level of support is enough to carry on, or does Mr. Abbott and his team start to consider their options. We know covid was a factor for all clubs, but NB also has issues with an aging demographic that finds it hard to attend and a growing proportion of families who face rising costs and simply can’t afford to find room for it in their budgets. Lose a team once and you might get a second chance. Lose a team twice - there’s never a third chance.
:laugh::huh::help:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

NB had a lot of early picks over the past three drafts. Building a serious contender around the 10 rookies that got to play in a conference final with Arnsby & Christopolous as OAs could be as simple as Fantili reporting 2023-24 or one WJC type.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
NB had a lot of early picks over the past three drafts. Building a serious contender around the 10 rookies that got to play in a conference final with Arnsby & Christopolous as OAs could be as simple as Fantili reporting 2023-24 or one WJC type.
Neither of those guys are OAs.

Our OAs next season are Jackson, McDonald, Winslow and Vrbetic.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Neither of those guys are OAs.

Our OAs next season are Jackson, McDonald, Winslow and Vrbetic.
Should be another year of very good OAs for NB, though I can see Vrbetic & Winslow traded at some point as Lukin (18) & Gauvreau (19) should play full-time or be traded. Arnsby & Christopolous should be very good OAs as well in 2023-24 in a contending year with the 10 rookies that got to play in a conference final.
A lot invested in D for next two seasons:
Mathurin - Nelson
Gauvreau - Christopolous
Lukin - Kennedy
Turley/Rismond/Lanni - MacKenzie

Last edited:

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
The way Gauvreau was/wasn't used this season leads me to think he will be traded ala Thompson/Mayotte/Hollett last off season. I don't get the hoopla over Lukin. Very average to me. Hamilton showed how "soft' we were....this needs to be addressed too!

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Should be another year of very good OAs for NB, though I can see Vrbetic & Winslow traded at some point as Lukin (18) & Gauvreau (19) should play full-time or be traded. Arnsby & Christopolous should be very good OAs as well in 2023-24 in a contending year with the 10 rookies that got to play in a conference final.
A lot invested in D for next two seasons:
Mathurin - Nelson
Gauvreau - Christopolous
Lukin - Kennedy
Turley/Rismond/Lanni - MacKenzie
Sorry, didn't notice you were talking about 23/24.

I do believe that the Battalion will be a contender next season though. Nelson, Arnsby and Mathurin all in their D+1 seasons, with Petrov potentially returning. We'll have an abundance of improved second year depth. Another strong OA class like you mentioned. And two very strong returning goaltenders.

I think they'll be a stronger team next season than they were this year. In 23/24 I could see a year where they rebuild. In 22/23, I'd be selling the farm to load up if I were GM.

Reactions: dirty12

Rounder8

Sep 28, 2018
The way Gauvreau was/wasn't used this season leads me to think he will be traded ala Thompson/Mayotte/Hollett last off season. I don't get the hoopla over Lukin. Very average to me. Hamilton showed how "soft' we were....this needs to be addressed too!

As a Hamilton fan, I agree with this. NB really couldn't handle the forecheck. I don't see this team every day though so take it with a grain of salt.

Nelson is and will be a hell of a player though.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Sorry, didn't notice you were talking about 23/24.

I do believe that the Battalion will be a contender next season though. Nelson, Arnsby and Mathurin all in their D+1 seasons, with Petrov potentially returning. We'll have an abundance of improved second year depth. Another strong OA class like you mentioned. And two very strong returning goaltenders.

I think they'll be a stronger team next season than they were this year. In 23/24 I could see a year where they rebuild. In 22/23, I'd be selling the farm to load up if I were GM.
The battalion are going to be good this coming season, it’s possible they contend. I just don’t think they will have the 19 yr olds it takes to contend in a ‘normal’ year. Arnsby is going to be very good, but even he is just 2-4 months older than DiVincentis, Mathurin, Nelson, Wakely.
The Petes will have 8-10 2003 born, and 5-‘04; they’re ‘all-in’.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad