North Bay Battalion 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patricia

Aug 25, 2018
"If" Fantilli reports...obviously, that's great. But if he/his camp says "no" - does North Bay take the chance and draft him anyway - when all they can do at that point is hold his rights for a King's ransom ("If you don't play in North Bay, you play nowhere in the OHL until we have the exact deal WE want...") Or do they go for another player - such as the #1 rated defenceman on the draft board (I don't know who that is....could anyone help with that?). Me, I think right now, North Bay is in a position of power. Sure, persuading Fantilli to report would be priority but there's always a chance someone whispers in his ear and he says "no way". They can either turn the tables on him and hold his OHL rights for a very high price, or at some point compensation comes into the picture (what's the compensation if he does not report?) Two relatively high spots in the Import draft as well - in that situation, when drafting #1 there, do you draft according to need, or would you draft the best player available regardless of position? Interesting times in Battalion country over the next few weeks...

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
"If" Fantilli reports...obviously, that's great. But if he/his camp says "no" - does North Bay take the chance and draft him anyway - when all they can do at that point is hold his rights for a King's ransom ("If you don't play in North Bay, you play nowhere in the OHL until we have the exact deal WE want...") Or do they go for another player - such as the #1 rated defenceman on the draft board (I don't know who that is....could anyone help with that?). Me, I think right now, North Bay is in a position of power. Sure, persuading Fantilli to report would be priority but there's always a chance someone whispers in his ear and he says "no way". They can either turn the tables on him and hold his OHL rights for a very high price, or at some point compensation comes into the picture (what's the compensation if he does not report?) Two relatively high spots in the Import draft as well - in that situation, when drafting #1 there, do you draft according to need, or would you draft the best player available regardless of position? Interesting times in Battalion country over the next few weeks...
When you pick 1st you pick best player available, forget the positional needs. I say take Fantilli and make it work, however that may be. Best Dman in draft available would be Ty Nelson, small electric defenseman, similiarities to Paul Christ, better skater.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
We don't have our 2nd or 4th round picks. We have OS 2nd, SAR 4th & OS 4th.

So we will be picking 1-30-41-63-70

We also have 22 players eligible to return.

IceCube

Mar 20, 2014
I am sure the Battalion management have had positive meetings with the Fantilli family/agent. He is by far the best player in this draft. I am sure they will draft him reporting or not. It’s an honour to be the first overall pic. Remember, last year he played against Arnsby and the Twins which I suggest would endear him to report.
A home run with the first overall Euro pick and this team could make huge strides in the standings next year. Have faith.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
I am sure the Battalion management have had positive meetings with the Fantilli family/agent. He is by far the best player in this draft. I am sure they will draft him reporting or not. It’s an honour to be the first overall pic. Remember, last year he played against Arnsby and the Twins which I suggest would endear him to report.
A home run with the first overall Euro pick and this team could make huge strides in the standings next year. Have faith.
I have faith. He can be a huge addition and might even help keep the battalion in north bay. I would have 0 problem slightly overpaying for his brothers rights from Niagara. We have our best future set up since the teams had arrived let’s not mess this up

Reactions: Uncle

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
I have faith. He can be a huge addition and might even help keep the battalion in north bay. I would have 0 problem slightly overpaying for his brothers rights from Niagara. We have our best future set up since the teams had arrived let’s not mess this up
Not necessarily, could end up being like Willy Lochead type thing whereby NID’s received something anything that was better than nothing. His brother is not a superstar and may lack the required skill to even play in the O

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
He left his Midget team mid season to go south, what makes you think he may not at some point do the same if you draft him? Go with who will report, especially with the position the team is in.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
He left his Midget team mid season to go south, what makes you think he may not at some point do the same if you draft him? Go with who will report, especially with the position the team is in.
Exactly , we cant draft a player who isn't 100% all in , we can not afford to have him go to the school route , and we are left with a 1st rounder not show up …….period ! . we wont get compensated until the following year with another 1st rounder . This team can not play that game , they need help NOW . The posters/fans that say draft him anyway and make it work have no idea how it works. Barrie did not draft Hughes with the 1st overall pick because he said he was going to the US (which he did) , they also drafted Tortora (99 born) as a 1st rounder and he didn't report , (went to the US) , so with their additional 1st round pick as compensation the following year they drafted McBain and he didn't report (he went to the US) . Teams do not have the leverage the players do.
Lastly , Fantilli will be a 1st rounder in the NHL draft no matter where he plays , he doesn't give a rats --- about the Battalion , its fans or the City , his camp will do what is right for him.....period.

Reactions: the dog

fishfan51

Sep 7, 2008
Niagara Falls
Not necessarily, could end up being like Willy Lochead type thing whereby NID’s received something anything that was better than nothing. His brother is not a superstar and may lack the required skill to even play in the O
If the only way he reports is to play with his brother, the price of poker just went waaaaaay up.

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
If the only way he reports is to play with his brother, the price of poker just went waaaaaay up.
Not exactly like either of these teams have a star studded defence core, and a stud addition up front will lead to a dud in the back.

Just saying.

Drop the Puck

Apr 28, 2016
If he tells NB, Niag, Sar, or Soo he is going the NCAA route, then he should be declared ineligible for this draft. I know it won't happen but having a player like this go 19th to Ldn or 20th to Ott isn't right!
Going NCAA = Doesn’t want to play for your team.
Simple fix, create a better market for the kid to play in.
Kids have choices, that’s a good thing.
Maybe he doesn’t want to play for a team who will not have their first round draft pick next year, his choice.
Do we really need to go on again with this.
Get over it.

Reactions: TheCoach

stickhandle

Jul 4, 2007
Exactly , we cant draft a player who isn't 100% all in , we can not afford to have him go to the school route , and we are left with a 1st rounder not show up …….period ! . we wont get compensated until the following year with another 1st rounder . This team can not play that game , they need help NOW . The posters/fans that say draft him anyway and make it work have no idea how it works. Barrie did not draft Hughes with the 1st overall pick because he said he was going to the US (which he did) , they also drafted Tortora (99 born) as a 1st rounder and he didn't report , (went to the US) , so with their additional 1st round pick as compensation the following year they drafted McBain and he didn't report (he went to the US) . Teams do not have the leverage the players do.
Lastly , Fantilli will be a 1st rounder in the NHL draft no matter where he plays , he doesn't give a rats --- about the Battalion , its fans or the City , his camp will do what is right for him.....period.
to good to not take that chance

Reactions: Drop the Puck

IceCube

Mar 20, 2014
Prophet...the three players you mentioned not reporting to the OHL once drafted are all US citizens or have dual citizenship. Fantilli, a Canadian, will have to wait two more years before he goes to college hockey. Doubt he would spin his wheels doing that. He has the potential to be a high first round NHL pick. The kid wants to be a player. NB must draft him and negotiate with him if he won’t report. He is a proud kid and being #1 doesn’t happen very often. Enjoy watching him play!!

Reactions: Drop the Puck

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
There is an interesting article on Adam Fantilli by Spencer Loane on Brock Otten’s Twitter thingy. I don’t know how to do reliable link-ups, so go to Brock’s site and have a look, the Loane article is dated Mar. 18. He wonders if USHL could figure into the Fantilli decision making process, not to mention NCAA (not just UM, but also UNDak.).

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Prophet...the three players you mentioned not reporting to the OHL once drafted are all US citizens or have dual citizenship. Fantilli, a Canadian, will have to wait two more years before he goes to college hockey. Doubt he would spin his wheels doing that. He has the potential to be a high first round NHL pick. The kid wants to be a player. NB must draft him and negotiate with him if he won’t report. He is a proud kid and being #1 doesn’t happen very often. Enjoy watching him play!!
Cube , Barrie did not draft Hughes , because he said the wouldn't report ......that's my point here , Barrie didn't risk drafting him and trying to make it work . Agreed he has to wait 2 years before gong to college ( he has been to North Dakota for visit recently ), but he wouldn't have to spin his wheels ,the UCHL is an option in the mean time . Canadian born (NL)Alex Newhook , told all Q teams he wouldn't report( Halifax drafted him with their 3 pick) and he didn't report, he went to the BCHL for 2 years and was a 1st rounder to Colorado while playing tier 2 hockey , point is the CHL is not the end all be all for all players . Everyone remembers the train wreck in Sudbury for years after poor ownership , well Levin was NOT the highest ranked player in his draft year , he said yes after Vilardi , Tippett, McLeod and Phillips said no , they didn't draft the best player and try and make it work . IMO , he better be 100% all in or you don't risk it .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad