North Bay Battalion 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Fair question. But if they won't, is that not also Stan Butler's fault as the coach and GM?
Have you been a fan of the OHL for long? No, it's not the fault of the coach or the GM when elite level players choose not to report to smaller markets. Teams along the 401 will always have a competitive advantage over them simply due to gaining greater exposure.

It can be argued that this is why Butler's unorthodox coaching style may be somewhat necessary to allow his lesser talented teams to compete against the elite talent available on other rosters in this league.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
In his last 29 regular season games, O/A 6'4" 215 lbs Kyle Potts has scored 1 goal!!! Is this really the best we can do?
Was saying it earlier this summer. He shouldn't be in this league anymore. We need to fill that top line LW spot with someone capable of putting up a PPG this year.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Have you been a fan of the OHL for long? No, it's not the fault of the coach or the GM when elite level players choose not to report to smaller markets. Teams along the 401 will always have a competitive advantage over them simply due to gaining greater exposure.

It can be argued that this is why Butler's unorthodox coaching style may be somewhat necessary to allow his lesser talented teams to compete against the elite talent available on other rosters in this league.

It’s more London, Kitch and Windsor. There are markets along the 401 corridor that still have some of the same recruiting troubles that markets like North Bay have. Teams like the Soo and Owen Sound have done a good job of attracting talent in recent years.

Reactions: soo hound girl

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It’s more London, Kitch and Windsor. There are markets along the 401 corridor that still have some of the same recruiting troubles that markets like North Bay have. Teams like the Soo and Owen Sound have done a good job of attracting talent in recent years.
Was going to make a point to mention SSM as they've been a breeding ground for pro talent on the ice and in the front office for many years. They have one of the most prestigious junior hockey organizations in the CHL and their deep history is to thank for it.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017

I couldn’t possibly disagree more. It 100% is the fault of the GM. Build a good culture and people come. Dubas/Raftis turned SSM which is a complete non-destination into a place where guys are loving to go

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Not sure why, but Stan Butler wasn’t on the bench tonight. rough 3rd period for Kurtis Evans changed that whole game

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Was going to make a point to mention SSM as they've been a breeding ground for pro talent on the ice and in the front office for many years. They have one of the most prestigious junior hockey organizations in the CHL and their deep history is to thank for it.

Well the Hounds were in a pretty bad place for several years. Their turnaround was largely due to good management and, perhaps most importantly, tremendous scouting.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I couldn’t possibly disagree more. It 100% is the fault of the GM. Build a good culture and people come. Dubas/Raftis turned SSM which is a complete non-destination into a place where guys are loving to go
How do you build a good 'culture' in a situation where the team's ownership provides you with minimal financial support? Where does the GM have an influence on that? 'Building a culture' :laugh:. Raftis and Dubas didn't 'build a culture'. They inherited one--and it's been there since 1919. Wayne Gretzky?

You're welcome to disagree with me, but the teams that routinely get those players---Windsor Spitfires, Oshawa Generals, Kitchener Rangers, London Knights, Soo Greyhounds--all have prestige in their favor. Many of them can also thank their geography. They will forever have an upper hand on the smaller markets in terms of procuring higher talent--specifically London.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Well the Hounds were in a pretty bad place for several years. Their turnaround was largely due to good management and, perhaps most importantly, tremendous scouting.
No question. I'm not going to discount their ability to find and develop talent throughout the draft. GMs and scouts that are successful in consistently finding that talent and the coaches who develop it are generally recognized and find it easier to move up into the professional ranks. It's why Dubas is in the role he's in today.

The point being made here is the talent that belongs at the top of the OHL draft. GMs of smaller markets will generally 'pass' on the obvious choice simply because they don't want to have to deal with the eventual fallout of a player refusing to report. North Bay is a team that's going to have to live with that regardless of who the GM is.

If we're going to criticize Stan's abilities at the draft, they should probably be looking at the string of 2nd and 3rd rounders that have failed to pay dividends.

Last edited:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
GMs of smaller markets will generally 'pass' on the obvious choice simply because they don't want to have to deal with the eventual fallout of a player refusing to report.

If you can declare the player defective and trade him for a small bundle of 2nd rounders and a comp first round you should be picking him nonetheless.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Unless of course, the player is without question NCAA bound, or the second year in succession with a defective player.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
How do you build a good 'culture' in a situation where the team's ownership provides you with minimal financial support? Where does the GM have an influence on that? 'Building a culture' :laugh:. Raftis and Dubas didn't 'build a culture'. They inherited one--and it's been there since 1919. Wayne Gretzky?

You're welcome to disagree with me, but the teams that routinely get those players---Windsor Spitfires, Oshawa Generals, Kitchener Rangers, London Knights, Soo Greyhounds--all have prestige in their favor. Many of them can also thank their geography. They will forever have an upper hand on the smaller markets in terms of procuring higher talent--specifically London.

If the prestige of having such a player is a key ingredient to long-term success then Battalion fans in North Bay ought to be encouraging management to go into full tank mode in order to secure the 1st overall pick and therefore, most likely, Shane Wright. Battalion won’t get a better opportunity at such a player IMO.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
Stan was not behind the bench tonight, nor at a number of practices so far this season because he is dealing with a medical condition. I know that much for sure and out of respect will not elaborate on the rumored illness. His personal long term health is far more important than a few hockey games.
There is no doubt that Stan's absence and decreased "energy" behind the bench (refs must be wondering why he is so nice!) has had an effect on the team's play but it goes far deeper than that.
They have replaced veteran role players with younger, maybe even more skilled, players who don't know how to play hockey. If I see another give away at either blue line or blind behind the back pass again, I am going lose it. HOCKEY 101.
Then there is the underlying questions of leadership but that is for another day.
I just hope tonight, at times, was a sign that things are starting to change.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
I th
In his last 29 regular season games, O/A 6'4" 215 lbs Kyle Potts has scored 1 goal!!! Is this really the best we can do?
I think Potts got lucky , with the injury to Burky , don't believe he would be here other wise , agreed sure not even close to past OA's ......Santos , Harland, Barclay and so on.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Trade what , we have nothing other teams would want other than Braz .
How good would Cam Dineen as your OA and Lyle as a 19 look now Stan ?
It probably won't take much to right the ship. They need to find a better OA than Potts and they probably need to grab another 19yo Dman to stabilize the young group before things get out of hand.

Dineen makes money playing in Tucson now and Lyle got us our starting goalie who led us to the playoffs last season. I'm not sure what Stan did wrong in those two situations in your opinion.

I think they should take another couple games to see what they have in Postnov on that top line. If he works there, I'd release Potts and shop around for someone who can slip into the 2C role. Adam McMaster is a LW--if he has any professional aspirations he should move there immediately.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
It probably won't take much to right the ship. They need to find a better OA than Potts and they probably need to grab another 19yo Dman to stabilize the young group before things get out of hand.

Dineen makes money playing in Tucson now and Lyle got us our starting goalie who led us to the playoffs last season. I'm not sure what Stan did wrong in those two situations in your opinion.

I think they should take another couple games to see what they have in Postnov on that top line. If he works there, I'd release Potts and shop around for someone who can slip into the 2C role. Adam McMaster is a LW--if he has any professional aspirations he should move there immediately.
What Stan did wrong was way before these two trades . After Smitty , no tender to take over , poor drafts , poor development of drafted tenders , so he had to trade a first rounder to fill that void.
Ok we got Struthers for Dineen , big woop , we needed him to fill the void left from the failure of the 98 group ( Poirier, Sherman ) then the 99's no 2nd rounder (traded away) , Chenier is ok , but no forward in this group either that is a real producer , and don't get me started on the 2000's …...Forhan ? and McMaster still has some work to do.
Dineen was traded long before his pro career started , point is when you make bad decisions , you make more bad decisions to compensate , and you end up with a team like today , average tending , young and inexperienced D , and a forward group that will have difficulty scoring , including the PP.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We got Struthers for McKenzie in a completely separate trade. Dineen was traded for Henderson and a good crop of future picks.

I couldn't be bothered to beat the dead horse here. I was calling out the lack of a quality starter LAST SUMMER. We have what looks like three quality goaltenders--maybe four right now, but I'm not familiar with Cicigoi. Goaltending shouldn't be the problem. The Battalion need to improve their defensive structure and they'll start winning games.

Poster man

May 5, 2015
Ontario
Something seriously needs to be looked here with this scouting staff, these drafted kids and some returning players are nowhere near ready of playing at this level. I've seen other teams imports and ours are suspect at this point.
Not getting a warm fuzzy on Stan's health, sure hope everything will be ok. Might be time to hand over the team to Scott & Adam? Then Stan can oversee scouting and GM duties fulltime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad