North Bay Battalion 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
I can see Walker being one of four OA teams are allowed to carry in first half of season. If the OA rules do change to exclude G, the batallion can hang on to all of Chenier, King, Propp, Struthers & Walker until decent value can be had in a trade.
More likely, teams will be interested in King, Propp, and Struthers which could leave a spot open for Walker.
The problem with your logic is Butler never trades away the good OA's , Chenier will be the Captain , Propp isn't going anywhere , King will have way more value as a solid D than any forward like Walker , and Walker doesn't trump Struthers .

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
The problem with your logic is Butler never trades away the good OA's , Chenier will be the Captain , Propp isn't going anywhere , King will have way more value as a solid D than any forward like Walker , and Walker doesn't trump Struthers .
Struthers gets traded while he still has significant value. It won't take long to see what his value is once he's not riding shotgun with Brazeau. If he stays with us he'll score less than he did this year.

Reactions: belair

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
Season ticket holders like me who chose (for the second time) the 3-year option will soon be deciding if they are going to renew. In my case, I will be giving up my seat for the first time in six years for a few reasons but the main one is because management is not providing value for money.
It’s nostalgic to recall the happy days of 2012 when the announcement was made official that the Troops were relocating to North Bay and the hundreds of local fans who traveled to Sudbury to loudly cheer for Brampton. The future seemed exciting and the first season here was, with a good team drawing loud crowds of 4k+ and with 50/50 prizes of $7k+. Since those memorable days it’s been a steady slide downhill and recent years have seen season after season of mediocre drafts, teams and results. The marketing people seldom deliver an entertaining game day experience and season ticket holders receive little in the way of worthwhile incentives.
On the ice, the business plan appears to be to assemble a team that is just capable enough to
avoid humiliation and to try and stumble into the playoffs to earn some extra revenue. If they surprise and advance to the second round, that’s gravy. Going forward, this type of planning produces
annual “also ran” teams and it’s unlikely this way of operating will ever produce a championship. No doubt I will still follow their seasons to see how they’re doing, but until there are real signs of a complete course change, I’m out.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Season ticket holders like me who chose (for the second time) the 3-year option will soon be deciding if they are going to renew. In my case, I will be giving up my seat for the first time in six years for a few reasons but the main one is because management is not providing value for money.
It’s nostalgic to recall the happy days of 2012 when the announcement was made official that the Troops were relocating to North Bay and the hundreds of local fans who traveled to Sudbury to loudly cheer for Brampton. The future seemed exciting and the first season here was, with a good team drawing loud crowds of 4k+ and with 50/50 prizes of $7k+. Since those memorable days it’s been a steady slide downhill and recent years have seen season after season of mediocre drafts, teams and results. The marketing people seldom deliver an entertaining game day experience and season ticket holders receive little in the way of worthwhile incentives.
On the ice, the business plan appears to be to assemble a team that is just capable enough to
avoid humiliation and to try and stumble into the playoffs to earn some extra revenue. If they surprise and advance to the second round, that’s gravy. Going forward, this type of planning produces
annual “also ran” teams and it’s unlikely this way of operating will ever produce a championship. No doubt I will still follow their seasons to see how they’re doing, but until there are real signs of a complete course change, I’m out.
+1

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
I have had a weekend pack for 2 yrs....cannot get to all games....getting small crowds/renewals comes from poor results year after year...we see no changes in team structure, drafts..player development ..if you are sneaking into a playoff position play #5..Kyle Jackson and develop them as early as you can....Euros do not contribute much so there are 2 spots for young drafts...wasting OA spot for a goalie on an offense-starved team is pointless when a potential #1 is just down the highway....Hamilton seems to develop North Bay kids better....Vescio dressed for most playoff games I believe...I like OHL hockey so conflicted...OK..one more season..and then Cogeco for me.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
The Pilon's are basically 0.5 ppg players the last two seasons and elite penalty killers. But yes they have discipline issues.

...and they offer the protection to their star players. Just as Walker did!! Some on the Wolves board from Sept-Dec were even questioning the value of the Pilons as O/A's, so yes, players like this still have a role in today's game.

Reactions: View from section 9

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014

I agree that Chenier should be Captain and King would be my second O/A. I would have said Struthers for a 3rd O/A but our defense next season will be horrid!! Propp deserves to play on a winning team next season and that isn't going to happen here. What kind of numbers would Propp put up if he had Marcus McIvor / Dylan Blujus playing in front of him instead of what we thru out there this season...(yup, that's on you Butler). Therefore I would trade the rights to Walker (maybe get a 6th rounder?), Propp (player and pick) and Struthers for an O/A strong defenseman.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
...and they offer the protection to their star players. Just as Walker did!! Some on the Wolves board from Sept-Dec were even questioning the value of the Pilons as O/A's, so yes, players like this still have a role in today's game.

I would recommend reading my original post about Walker again. The reason the Pilon's have a role is because they are still skilled with the puck, put up decent offensive numbers and are very good on the PK.

So going back to my original post, this is only the same thing if we assume the Pilon's are only there for the sole purpose of protection.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Does Maier return next year? was not completely awful and did some good things on the PP when given the chance. Worth more than Henderson and Malik that's for sure

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014

This is an absolute perfect post. Can't offer much more to it other than until the owner makes a total commitment to putting a winning produce on the ice and behind the bench and stops being content on year after year of mediocrity, the results will be the same. I have been a STH from the beginning (2 tickets). After my 3 year commitment was over I have nenewed year over year. I enjoy watching all the top players in the league, not just the home team so I will continue to support OHL in North Bay. Just wish the owner was serious about putting a winning team on the ice.

Reactions: hardclimate

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
Walker was our best skater last game
ID's wouldn't even go into the corners with him
A player like Walker is so valuable
Branch's 3 fight rule is so f'n stupid. Check league attendance!!!
..a team like Suds or Kingston with Wright could use Walks....settle agitators down pretty quick..Wolves fans would love him

Reactions: View from section 9

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Walker was our best skater last game
ID's wouldn't even go into the corners with him
A player like Walker is so valuable
Branch's 3 fight rule is so f'n stupid. Check league attendance!!!
Come on man , he looked a little better than usual , cause the top line was gassed from all the ice trying to make the playoffs in the first place and the young kids are just that young . If he is so valuable please tell us all why the 14 teams ahead of us don't have or need a player like Walker , while we kill penalties all season . I think to be a good team you need a mix of players that do different things , one being tough (not stupid) , Chenier is tough and plays more like the Pilon twins than Walker cause he scores like they do and will drop them if need be. In the 80's Walker is valuable , in todays game of speed & skill no . Butler and Walker are a perfect fit , as Butler still thinks he is coaching in the 80's !

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
While he doesn't fit your exact criteria Adrien Carbonara played as an OA last season with Niagara. I honestly believe Dan Walker is a better hockey player than Carbonara.
Carbonara was as tough as they come , and he had 33 points and only 65 min in penalties the season before his OA season , the stats would tell us that its not even close.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Carbonara was as tough as they come , and he had 33 points and only 65 min in penalties the season before his OA season , the stats would tell us that its not even close.
So 43 games on a stacked London team overrides the rest of his career #'s to prove your point?
Nice try, you normally do your homework. Hate away on Walker but I stand by my prediction that he will be in the league next season despite your thought to the contrary.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Or to further support point is both have 3 career playoff points, just it only took Walker 8 games to produce that while it took Carbonara 43 games to get the same 3 points

Olden

Nov 25, 2018
Walker is skilled but has a temper. Calm him and hed be of great value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad