North Bay Battalion 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Maybe it is time to look ahead to the last 6-pack of 2018/2019, beginning with the game of the year Thursday vs. BAR. Battalion are 3 points to the good, Colts have goal diff. of -10 with 5 wins last 10, Troops are -48 with 3 wins last 10. Having a look at the seating chart, as they say in the ticketing business, plenty of good seats are still available. It looks like the usual 2200 or so will be in the house and I would think a fairly significant game might warrant some form of extra marketing push by the team.

The last 6 games strike me as being made up of 3 “potentially winnables” (BAR, PBO, HAM) and 3 “long shots, at best” (OSH, MIS, NIA). Of course, winnable games for the Battalion are equally so for the opponent. If the Troops can win 2 of 6, they will have 63 points (compared to 70 last season) and Barrie would require 8 points from their last 12 in order to pass. I am telling myself not to scoreboard watch over the last 2 weeks. Maybe someone can verify the following. I believe ties in places 1-7 are broken by a variety of statistical tie-breakers. But in a tie for 8th, a 1 game play-in takes place.

Has anyone been following the Attendance topic as created and maintained by “Otto”? He made a very savvy observation in a recent posting, calling Battalion attendance similar to that of the Centennials (and, sadly, it is). And we all know how that turned out.

Reactions: three dog night

IceCube

Mar 20, 2014
Well Battalion players and fans, if ever there was a “four point game”, the game vs Barrie is certainly that. A full effort is required. Those that have not scored in weeks, start driving the net, make it tough on the goalie to see the biscuit. Defense...just defend, finish your checks, box out and make good decisions.

Fans...come and support your boys...they need you Thursday. Good luck Bats!!

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Well said, IC. This upcoming game is probably the most important for the team in 3 seasons counting this one.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
I am debating making the trip to watch this one tmmr , would be fun to see 2 teams fighting for their lives out there . Should be a great one

WolvesAndWings

Wherever I go, the strawman follows
Mar 18, 2017
Maybe it is time to look ahead to the last 6-pack of 2018/2019, beginning with the game of the year Thursday vs. BAR. Battalion are 3 points to the good, Colts have goal diff. of -10 with 5 wins last 10, Troops are -48 with 3 wins last 10. Having a look at the seating chart, as they say in the ticketing business, plenty of good seats are still available. It looks like the usual 2200 or so will be in the house and I would think a fairly significant game might warrant some form of extra marketing push by the team.

The last 6 games strike me as being made up of 3 “potentially winnables” (BAR, PBO, HAM) and 3 “long shots, at best” (OSH, MIS, NIA). Of course, winnable games for the Battalion are equally so for the opponent. If the Troops can win 2 of 6, they will have 63 points (compared to 70 last season) and Barrie would require 8 points from their last 12 in order to pass. I am telling myself not to scoreboard watch over the last 2 weeks. Maybe someone can verify the following. I believe ties in places 1-7 are broken by a variety of statistical tie-breakers. But in a tie for 8th, a 1 game play-in takes place.

Has anyone been following the Attendance topic as created and maintained by “Otto”? He made a very savvy observation in a recent posting, calling Battalion attendance similar to that of the Centennials (and, sadly, it is). And we all know how that turned out.

I'll take you guys beating Hamilton, Oshawa, and Niagara, all in regulation, and losing your other 3 (yeah yeah I know that would be stressful, but just have faith, lol). That should basically guarantee the Sudbury v NB series :nod:

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Sad thing is that we are fighting for our playoff lives with Barrie , who traded away their older player to rebuild & we did not, they are playing the kids & we don't. Regardless of the out come of the playoff race they will be in better shape in the coming years , and I don't really think Ford is a good GM , but I have to give him a step up on Butler .

Reactions: Uncle

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Now officially on League's website: "facility issue". This will give the team time to ramp up ticket sales. For the most important game in 3 seasons, they managed to sell 32 in the 4 hours between 1:30 - 5:30 today.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Well...that would do it...yeah that looks like more then just a paint crack. That's frustrating, obviously for you guys and Barrie, but also for us in Hamilton who now are giving three games in hand to both Barrie and North Bay after tomorrow.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
There is precedent for playing a home game elsewhere, Game 3 round 1 last year’s playoffs the Battalion played a “home” game vs. KGN in Sudbury. The league stipulates that in the event of lack of arena availability, games must be played in OHL suitable buildings, so Powassan and Sturgeon Falls are out. Presuming the building issues will not be sorted out in time, the balance of the home regular season might look like this:

Tue 12th BAR @ NB (in SBY) game of the 7th
Thu 14th HAM @ NB (in SBY)
Sun 17th NIA @ NB (in SBY)
Tue 19th PBO @ NB (in SBY) game of the 10th

On each of the above dates Wolves are either not scheduled or on the road. BAR is already scheduled 3/13 in OS so they would have a back to back mid-week, and a tough travel sched. HAM is already scheduled 14th @NB, 15th @SBY, so no problem there. NIA is already scheduled 16th @BAR, 17th @NB, no problem there. 19th could prove problematic since that date is already reserved, if necessary, for a 1 game play-in between 2 teams tied for the last playoff spot. I can see BAR not being too receptive to the 12th/13th scenario with their season on the line. It might turn into a logistical nightmare.

Playoffs would not be difficult since SBY will open at home and NB (if they make it) will open on the road, and will then be done fairly early in the process.

Hopefully the engineers will deem the building safe and things can proceed with the Barrie game possibly on the 19th. It would be interesting if they are 2 points apart with 1 to play, lower team wins to create a tie for 8th, then same teams play a tie-breaker Wed. 20th, then winner has first game on the road vs. #1 on 21st or 22nd. Yikes, my head hurts.

WolvesAndWings

Mar 18, 2017
There is precedent for playing a home game elsewhere, Game 3 round 1 last year’s playoffs the Battalion played a “home” game vs. KGN in Sudbury. The league stipulates that in the event of lack of arena availability, games must be played in OHL suitable buildings, so Powassan and Sturgeon Falls are out. Presuming the building issues will not be sorted out in time, the balance of the home regular season might look like this:

Tue 12th BAR @ NB (in SBY) game of the 7th
Thu 14th HAM @ NB (in SBY)
Sun 17th NIA @ NB (in SBY)
Tue 19th PBO @ NB (in SBY) game of the 10th

On each of the above dates Wolves are either not scheduled or on the road. BAR is already scheduled 3/13 in OS so they would have a back to back mid-week, and a tough travel sched. HAM is already scheduled 14th @NB, 15th @SBY, so no problem there. NIA is already scheduled 16th @BAR, 17th @NB, no problem there. 19th could prove problematic since that date is already reserved, if necessary, for a 1 game play-in between 2 teams tied for the last playoff spot. I can see BAR not being too receptive to the 12th/13th scenario with their season on the line. It might turn into a logistical nightmare.

Playoffs would not be difficult since SBY will open at home and NB (if they make it) will open on the road, and will then be done fairly early in the process.

Hopefully the engineers will deem the building safe and things can proceed with the Barrie game possibly on the 19th. It would be interesting if they are 2 points apart with 1 to play, lower team wins to create a tie for 8th, then same teams play a tie-breaker Wed. 20th, then winner has first game on the road vs. #1 on 21st or 22nd. Yikes, my head hurts.

Id be down for more hockey but Im not sure how available the building really is. I think there are a couple events + Sudbury Five games to work around the next 2 weeks as well but I could be wrong.

Also in the event your building isn't available and Sudbury and NB played each other in round 1, Im not sure if the series being played entirely out of Sudbury would be explored.

Ideally the issue with your building isn't long term and can be fixed quickly/in time for your next game, and all this discussion would no longer matter lol. Building issues are no fun and I seriously feel bad for you guys.

WolvesAndWings

Mar 18, 2017
Good point, I forgot about the basketball team.

Also does "OHL suitable" only refer to buidings that house OHL franchises, or are there other buildings with that designation? We had a pre-season game vs Rouyn Noranda in Timmins in September. Does that mean Timmins' arena is "OHL suitable". Genuinely curious lol.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Also does "OHL suitable" only refer to buidings that house OHL franchises, or are there other buildings with that designation? We had a pre-season game vs Rouyn Noranda in Timmins in September. Does that mean Timmins' arena is "OHL suitable". Genuinely curious lol.
I always thought that’s exactly what it was considered. A rink that another OHL team currently plays in.

Reactions: WolvesAndWings
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->