Norris Discussion: Weber

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
Bob McKenzie did his annual "survey the coaches" for the major awards, and the Norris had Keith in first with Weber and Chara virtually tied for second.

Weber had 3 1st place votes.

He may not win it but he definitely has a shot at being in top 3

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Bob McKenzie did his annual "survey the coaches" for the major awards, and the Norris had Keith in first with Weber and Chara virtually tied for second.

Weber had 3 1st place votes.

He may not win it but he definitely has a shot at being in top 3

There are a few d-men I could see being maybe worthy of being tied with Weber for 2nd. Chara isn't one of them.

I would respect the vote of the coaches more than the journalists, but I don't really see it there.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
A d-man from a non-playoff team has never been nominated, let alone won the Norris. It's not going to happen.

All defensemen are "nominated." I think you mean "finalist," and I certainly hope the PHWA puts less stock in "play off teams" than a lot of people I've talked to about this regular season award. Not that it would surprise me if someone came out and said that whether or not a team is a play off team influences the voting of the PHWA. They really don't seem to care much about the purpose of some of the awards anyway.

The Bob/Vezina question is answered easily, though. Vezina is voted on by GMs, not members of the hockey media.

edit: I see trig beat me to it.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
hey guys, didn't know where to ask this question.
Do you think Josi can become a #1 Dman in the future?

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Yes by the time he is Webers age he will be as good or better.

Josi will be great, but will he really be a consensus top 3 d-man? As good as seems like a stretch, but the idea of Josi being better seems crazy to me. Those are some seriously high expectations.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Josi will be great, but will he really be a consensus top 3 d-man? As good as seems like a stretch, but the idea of Josi being better seems crazy to me. Those are some seriously high expectations.

Josi is arguably as good as weber defensively now. He was top pair his second year in the league. It took weber until his 4th year and Hamhuis and Kimmo leaving to get there. Offensively this season he has 12 25 for 37 to Webers 21-32 for 53. And he is 5 years younger.

Webers 3rd year in the league 6-14-20 so Thus far Josi is pretty convincing he can equal Weber.

The lone area of Josi's game that concerns me is he is still skating with his head down too often. His puck handling if far superior to Weber. Another 20 pounds would not hurt him.

So in 5 years if Weber is still here I expect that Josi will be the number one blueliner here. Heck in 5 years Jones may surpass Weber also. This is not a knock on Weber at all this team is blessed to have three players that could be the number one on any NHL team in a short amount of time.

I Will Son

An Army of One
Feb 15, 2010
Nashville
Yeah guess we should trade him maybe we could get a 2nd for him.

Not knocking on Josi.

He's IMO the most underrated Dman in the league. But still, Weber is also IMO the best Dman in the world. Josi isn't on that tier. I do however think he will be as good as Suter with more offense.

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I'm fairly certain every one here is a Josi fan. It's hard to not like the guy. He brings something that neither Weber nor Suter ever had, and likely ever will: actual good hands and puck-moving ability. He's already miles ahead of both of them at both of those things. It's especially impressive given the fact that he's only 23.

That said, he absolutely is not Weber's level defensively, and that is far from an insult. A defenseman with Weber's defensive ability + shot and Josi's puck moving ability + hands, would likely be hands down the best defenseman in the league.

The great thing is that as said, he's only 23, still certainly room to grow. Like you said having two, possibly three defensemen of that level is a blessing, and a rare one at that.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Trade somebody! Trade ANYBODY! TRADE EVERYBODY!
Absolutely! And if you don't like it, then you're committed to mediocrity and don't want the team to do better. :nod:

Seriously, talk about your bipolar overreactions. "Not quite as good as one of the best blueliners in hockey defensively" == "trade him for a 2nd"?

Preditan

Jan 12, 2013
Weber probably won't win it, not on the Preds. If he was in Philly he would be the clear choice to win the Norris. Karlson better not win it, he's no defenseman. He's just a confused winger.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Josi is arguably as good as weber defensively now. He was top pair his second year in the league. It took weber until his 4th year and Hamhuis and Kimmo leaving to get there. Offensively this season he has 12 25 for 37 to Webers 21-32 for 53. And he is 5 years younger.

Webers 3rd year in the league 6-14-20 so Thus far Josi is pretty convincing he can equal Weber.

The lone area of Josi's game that concerns me is he is still skating with his head down too often. His puck handling if far superior to Weber. Another 20 pounds would not hurt him.

So in 5 years if Weber is still here I expect that Josi will be the number one blueliner here. Heck in 5 years Jones may surpass Weber also. This is not a knock on Weber at all this team is blessed to have three players that could be the number one on any NHL team in a short amount of time.

I would not be surprised to see Josi surpass Weber as a defenseman next year he's #2 only because of age

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I would not be surprised to see Josi surpass Weber as a defenseman next year he's #2 only because of age

You could be right but I think it will take a couple more years. I suggested this before and will again I would like to see Weber and Josi on different pairs. It is against the grain traditionally but having both those big shots in the same pair could be better used.

pekkaslap

Jul 8, 2011
Something I didn't realize until now: Weber's 55 points ties Kimmo Timonen's single-season record for points by a Preds defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad