Confirmed with Link: Norlinder will continue his development in Sweden for the remainder of the current SHL season

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Was not ready to come in. He had troubles in his own end playing against lesser opponents on a bigger ice surface in Europe. Not sure he'll ever be ready.

To be fair, defencemen have a longer development path than other skaters. Of course, there are exceptional players, but Norlinder may just need more time. You may not be wrong regardless and maybe he'll never be ready.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
To be fair, defencemen have a longer development path than other skaters. Of course, there are exceptional players, but Norlinder may just need more time. You may not be wrong regardless and maybe he'll never be ready.

Depends - if we continue this philosophy that all Canadiens players have to be elite defensively and we can't ever give a little at one end for the offensive end (unless you are Drouin for some reason); then yeah he may never be ready.

But he would get traded and soar somewhere else.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Depends - if we continue this philosophy that all Canadiens players have to be elite defensively and we can't ever give a little at one end for the offensive end (unless you are Drouin for some reason); then yeah he may never be ready.

I agree and I've also been harping on all this mistake-free defence the Habs have traditionally wanted from all their players (minus Dru as mentioned). That said, I think he just needs more time regardless but more importantly, opportunities. Hoping with what appears to be a shift in management philosophy, kids like Norlinder get that chance.

Reactions: Runner77

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

I understand. And maybe he'll be ready at 25 years old. Still...in a cap era and UFA era, you need your players to be ready before that.

Reactions: Runner77

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
Getting him out of the mess this season has been for him is a good thing. Got hurt and hasn't played much. Now he's got an idea of what he needs to work on and he can do that at home in a winning and comfortable environment. In the meantime Gorton has a lot of work to do.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Which is it though? Let's not rush kids? Okay so let's leave them in lower leagues? But no. We have to be able to live with their mistakes? Even if they are young? But isn't that rushing them?

I swear, some are just waiting for the end result to THEN determine what the organization did wrong. Start them too early. Not start them early enough etc.....

It's not about being ELITE. It's about being able to hold their own. And yes it comes with mistakes. Still, Wideman, Niku, those guys will never be absolute most on our organization. The hope is that Norlinder becomes BETTER. I want Norlinder to be a very good d-man in the AHL first.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Getting him out of the mess this season has been for him is a good thing. Got hurt and hasn't played much. Now he's got an idea of what he needs to work on and he can do that at home in a winning and comfortable environment. In the meantime Gorton has a lot of work to do.
Being in Laval learning the NA games was not a mess. Getting him away from the big club alleviated the "mess". For his pro development helping Laval go on a long playoff run would have been beneficial.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Mark Streit has to be the exception in front of all the exceptions....he was drafted at 28 years old too.
Sure, but there's some exemples too. Defenceman takes time. I'll be patient with Norlinder, maybe he won't become a good NHLer until he's 25 and that's good.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Sure, but there's some exemples too. Defenceman takes time. I'll be patient with Norlinder, maybe he won't become a good NHLer until he's 25 and that's good.

There are. And frankly, I can't even say he fits in that mold. I don't know. He might very well have a great end of season, a great season in the AHL next year. And be fine in his season in the NHL. But think is no matter how long it takes for a d-man to get to the NHL, most of them who will change the dynamics of their team is in the NHL by 22. Playing some kind of role.

Norlinder turns 22 this year. So will be playing his 23rd in the AHL, or so I think. So will start his NHL career, if everything goes well, at 23-24. It might work out. Just saying...it's not the norm.

Reactions: De Montreal
Aug 25, 2009
éal
There are. And frankly, I can't even say he fits in that mold. I don't know. He might very well have a great end of season, a great season in the AHL next year. And be fine in his season in the NHL. But think is no matter how long it takes for a d-man to get to the NHL, most of them who will change the dynamics of their team is in the NHL by 22. Playing some kind of role.

Norlinder turns 22 this year. So will be playing his 23rd in the AHL, or so I think. So will start his NHL career, if everything goes well, at 23-24. It might work out. Just saying...it's not the norm.
yeah but this was what we should have been expecting from him all along, one that went undrafted in his first year of eligibility then taken early in the 3rd round. He's on an unusual path.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
If he won't start in Laval next season, trade him for a comparable RD. We have Guhle and hopefully Harris on the left.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Which is it though? Let's not rush kids? Okay so let's leave them in lower leagues? But no. We have to be able to live with their mistakes? Even if they are young? But isn't that rushing them?

I swear, some are just waiting for the end result to THEN determine what the organization did wrong. Start them too early. Not start them early enough etc.....

It's not about being ELITE. It's about being able to hold their own. And yes it comes with mistakes. Still, Wideman, Niku, those guys will never be absolute most on our organization. The hope is that Norlinder becomes BETTER. I want Norlinder to be a very good d-man in the AHL first.

There's no contradiction.

1) A young player should be allowed to make the occasional mistake regardless of what level they're playing in.

2) Ideally, they should play at the highest level at which they can compete effectively and play lots of minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad