Confirmed with Link: Norlinder will continue his development in Sweden for the remainder of the current SHL season

Jul 6, 2016
I did not remember. He was not very impressive, I guess. I know he was injured right out of the bat during regular Camp, but they should had just send him back to Sweden as soon as he was healthy.

Reactions: Gravity

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
"Paying your dues" is part of the overall process but it's more complex than that in Montreal. I really do feel that in Montreal, we are craving for young talent so much that when we get a sniff of it, we are obsessed with monitoring them where we think we know what is best (More NHL usage, Send to AHL, Send back to SHL...etc).

These kids hear the critics and I also think our management is obsessed with "defensive assignments". It should not be overlooked but we might be overcoaching in many cases. This leads to a kid that is uninspired and lacks confidence. Just cause Suzuki survived, it don't mean it's the right approach on all players.

I think in Norlinder's case, he was not used enough and when he was, they were nit picking his game. Imagine trying to learn on the job and having someone obsessed with your mistakes. Some handle that well but not all.
That is what the AHL is for, don't get benched if you make a mistake, at least it should be, and yes, every player is different.

Reactions: dcyhabs

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Rangers could be under scrutiny but it's not the same level we put in the Habs organization. I stand firm on that. Another example is KK... still struggling with the Canes and getting reduced minutes and usage but their not as obsessive with it in terms of fans and media begging management to promote the kid or send him to the AHL. This can be a distraction and it is in Montreal. These young kids are being put under a microscope and it affects their confidence IMO.

As managers of big market teams (especially the Leafs and Habs in Canada), they need to realize that the start date of when they turn pro and when they might make the NHL in the full time role needs to be delayed as much as possible. Nothing wrong with giving a guy a NHL game here and there but it needs to be managed better in terms of why you are calling them up and for how long. Maybe the Habs are actually doing this behind the scenes but then you get a situation like Norlinder who is rag dolled like KK and Caufield.

I stand firm. Habs need a shift in how they manage youth. It's also multi layered and we are only touching on a few issues
Absolutely agreed!! Habs need a major shift, on their philosophy on handling their kids......this is so overdue...
Set a standard, on how these kids develop in their first couple of years, as a pro after being drafted.....
In the last 10 years, yes 10 years, there was zero thought into that process. No plan what so ever.....MB and the buddies were all over the place, and then, to top it off.............leave dem with Syl and Therrien!!
Can't make this stuff up....

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Absolutely agreed!! Habs need a major shift, on their philosophy on handling their kids......this is so overdue...
Set a standard, on how these kids develop in their first couple of years, as a pro after being drafted.....
In the last 10 years, yes 10 years, there was zero thought into that process. No plan what so ever.....MB and the buddies were all over the place, and then, to top it off.............leave dem with Syl and Therrien!!

:clap:

Reactions: BLONG7

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
No direction and no one to make sure these "kids" were at home in bed. Sure its partly on them, but you can't let a young adult run around with a million in salary and just say tsk tsk, you shouldn't be out...I know I was making 360 bucks a week and thought I had the world by the tail when I was 18. Car, ins, gas, thats it. Still leaves lots to hit the bars, buy media that will be obsolete in 20 years :oops: and treat my buddies who were in school or employed less than I was.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Something is off and they do need a new philosophy for sure. I have faith in what new management can do cause they are fully aware of our drafting and development challenges. They will make changes so lets hope the adjustments provide value moving forward.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Juulsen was a fluke, damn 2 nhl shot to the face, on the same side. He played well before this, he would've been good if not for all the issues after this.

Agreed. Juulsen was on a good development track. Not an offensive type but prior to that freak game that derailed his development, he was well on his way at proving he can be a steady NHL defenseman. Maybe fringe top 4D type but still... he was on a good track

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Rangers could be under scrutiny but it's not the same level we put in the Habs organization. I stand firm on that. Another example is KK... still struggling with the Canes and getting reduced minutes and usage but their not as obsessive with it in terms of fans and media begging management to promote the kid or send him to the AHL. This can be a distraction and it is in Montreal. These young kids are being put under a microscope and it affects their confidence IMO.

As managers of big market teams (especially the Leafs and Habs in Canada), they need to realize that the start date of when they turn pro and when they might make the NHL in the full time role needs to be delayed as much as possible. Nothing wrong with giving a guy a NHL game here and there but it needs to be managed better in terms of why you are calling them up and for how long. Maybe the Habs are actually doing this behind the scenes but then you get a situation like Norlinder who is rag dolled like KK and Caufield.

I stand firm. Habs need a shift in how they manage youth. It's also multi layered and we are only touching on a few issues

Not sure it's the fans and media fault as much as it is the organization. People get confused by improper development and lack of transparency. Every decisions our management takes look improvised. If you bring a kid at 20 years old and make it very clear you bring him as depth on a 3rd line until you get room in the top 6 a few seasons from now like Detroit did with Datsyuk playing behind Yzerman and Fedorov until one of those two left Detroit or retire then nobody will ask questions or complain.

The problem is there's so many weird roster decision made in Montreal that the media and fans are left wondering WTF is going on. Like still playing DD on a first line after he had 1 points in 19 games to start the season. Using Dale Weise on a first line for pretty much an entire season. Using Josh Gorges on our first pairing for like 4 years. I've been saying it for a while the lack of a proper long term plan and transparency is a big problem in Montreal. More often then not people are left wondering WTF is going on and it's not good for anyone. How many players left Montreal saying they did not know what the coach or the organization wanted from them and what they did wrong.

I never understood why it's so hard for the organization to talk about it's long term plan. It's okay to talk about what you are planning. What you want to accomplish. Which players you believe in and where you think the pieces will sit. When i was young everybody on the team knew his role. There was very few gray area. It all started after Savard left and we never recovered.

Reactions: amethyst and BLONG7

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure it's the fans and media fault as much as it is the organization. People get confused by improper development and lack of transparency. Every decisions our management takes look improvised. If you bring a kid at 20 years old and make it very clear you bring him as depth on a 3rd line until you get room in the top 6 a few seasons from now like Detroit did with Datsyuk playing behind Yzerman and Fedorov until one of those two left Detroit or retire then nobody will ask questions or complain.

The problem is there's so many weird roster decision made in Montreal that the media and fans are left wondering WTF is going on. Like still playing DD on a first line after he had 1 points in 19 games to start the season. Using Dale Weise on a first line for pretty much an entire season. Using Josh Gorges on our first pairing for like 4 years. I've been saying it for a while the lack of a proper long term plan and transparency is a big problem in Montreal. More often then not people are left wondering WTF is going on and it's not good for anyone. How many players left Montreal saying they did not know what the coach or the organization wanted from them and what they did wrong.

I never understood why it's so hard for the organization to talk about it's long term plan. It's okay to talk about what you are planning. What you want to accomplish. Which players you believe in and where you think the pieces will sit. When i was young everybody on the team knew his role. There was very few gray area. It all started after Savard left and we never recovered.

I think it's multi layered and it's more complicated in Montreal due to the passion for hockey. A struggling player in Montreal is not the same as a struggling player with the Rangers for example. Imagine if we drafted Lafreniere and he was not dominate like we expected? The articles and obsession would be a huge focus and that would be a major black cloud following the player around.

Habs need a different development strategy than most other teams IMO. Norlinder wanted to go back home to play in piece and I don't blame him.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

I remember Bergevin being so arrogant, he felt he could not share anything, because he thought other GM's would be listening, so to speak!! LOL.............imagine for a second anyone listening and following MB???
He had no plan, or long term vision..........the last 10 years have been all about a solo GM and his buddies......and, here we are.

Reactions: amethyst

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I remember Bergevin being so arrogant, he felt he could not share anything, because he thought other GM's would be listening, so to speak!! LOL.............imagine for a second anyone listening and following MB???
He had no plan, or long term vision..........the last 10 years have been all about a solo GM and his buddies......and, here we are.

Thinking other GM needs you to spill it out to know what you are planning is being delusional. Other GMs know their shit too and they don't need you to make a statement to know what you need and what is likely available. Only thing you should really keep private is locker room shenanigans. I remember when Dale Weise started to play in our top 6 there was lot of hype around here from fans and media and i remember one question being asked to the coach about it and it turned into some sort of joke or something. MB could have made a statement back then telling people he realized we lacked depth on the wings and he was trying to address the situation. Everyone would have understood without the need to spill it out. And other GMs already knew we certainly were looking for wingers anyway. But nope we kept riding Weise (and DD) and the only forwards he acquired at the deadline that year were Brian ***** Flynn, Devante Smith Belly and Torrey Mitchell. This is where i started losing faith in MB. I liked Petry acquisition but it was too little too late we were burning years of Price with no hope of winning anything. I remember being very vocal about how the acquisition of Brian Flynn was ridiculous. But hey back then people were still on the "it cost nothing train". It did cost something. Years of Price's prime.

Back on topic Norlinder in the SHL is a good thing. Nobody will ask questions he'll be able to develop at his own pace. We don't need him now anyway. Bring him when when he'll be ready to play a role in the top 6 and when you'll be willing to live with the broken eggs.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Thinking other GM needs you to spill it out to know what you are planning is being delusional. Other GMs know their shit too and they don't need you to make a statement to know what you need and what is likely available. Only thing you should really keep private is locker room shenanigans. I remember when Dale Weise started to play in our top 6 there was lot of hype around here from fans and media and i remember one question being asked to the coach about it and it turned into some sort of joke or something. MB could have made a statement back then telling people he realized we lacked depth on the wings and he was trying to address the situation. Everyone would have understood without the need to spill it out. And other GMs already knew we certainly were looking for wingers anyway. But nope we kept riding Weise (and DD) and the only forwards he acquired at the deadline that year were Brian ***** Flynn, Devante Smith Belly and Torrey Mitchell. This is where i started losing faith in MB. I liked Petry acquisition but it was too little too late we were burning years of Price with no hope of winning anything. I remember being very vocal about how the acquisition of Brian Flynn was ridiculous. But hey back then people were still on the "it cost nothing train". It did cost something. Years of Price's prime.

Back on topic Norlinder in the SHL is a good thing. Nobody will ask questions he'll be able to develop at his own pace. We don't need him now anyway. Bring him when when he'll be ready to play a role in the top 6 and when you'll be willing to live with the broken eggs.
Absolutely agree, but one thing he never did, was be honest or candid on a plan.........you don't have to divulge big time secrets as to how you want to improve, you just have to be honest, as to how you hope to move forward.
Picking a direction never happened...........he just moved goalposts, and lowered expectations.
Gorton, with the Rangers, took out a full page ad, and sent the season ticket holders a letter, of how he felt they needed to move forward with a general plan. That took guts.....

Agreed on \norlinder, going back is a good thing....he will be back next year, and be even better.
Hopefully Guhlie joins him!! Lots to look forward to.........

Reactions: LaP

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I doubt Norlinder comes back as he realizes he isn't NHL material. Just my opinion. He should have never signed.

Another vastly overrated prospect

“Neither a borrower Norlinder be.” :sarcasm:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I doubt Norlinder comes back as he realizes he isn't NHL material. Just my opinion. He should have never signed.

Another vastly overrated prospect

Hold the horses on this one. It's usually a roaster coaster ride and lets not ride the lows or high too much. Let the process play out. I had Harris equal to Norlinder for a while now when most had Norlinder higher. It's all guess work and it's what we do as Habs fans. Nothing flies under the radar (good or bad).

Norlinder gets to go back home and play hockey in piece again. It's not over yet

Reactions: Remparts666

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
I'm still in wait and see mode, but Norlinder and his board popularity has always reminded me of Josh Brook and his popularity. More that it was born out of the desire to see an actually talented PMD in the prospect pool than actual high-end talent. Hopefully I'm wrong and he returns to North America with a vengeance.

Reactions: Hins77

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I'm still in wait and see mode, but Norlinder and his board popularity has always reminded me of Josh Brook and his popularity. More that it was born out of the desire to see an actually talented PMD in the prospect pool than actual high-end talent. Hopefully I'm wrong and he returns to North America with a vengeance.
Yepp. And brook never improved that much cause injury. Then, What will we saying about norlinder? He never adapt into north american ice? Probably

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad