Waived: Noreau and Gervais (and Mueller)

member 116861

Have to disagree with you here.

Stuart seems exactly like Sarich and Redmond should probably be slightly better than Benoit was.

I disagree with Redmond, I think he will be a lot better than Benoit.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Stuart seems exactly like Sarich and Redmond should probably be slightly better than Benoit was.

Sarich was coming off a season in which he only played in just over half the games, and when he was on the ice he was on the 3rd pair playing under 15 minutes a game, including just 1 minute on the PK. Stuart is coming off a season in which he was used on multiple pairs playing over 19 minutes a game, including 2 minutes on the PK. It's been awhile since Sarich has had that type of role Stuart was in last year.

SJ was 5th in goals against and 6th on the PK. Calgary was 26th in goals against and 14th on the PK. So not only did Stuart play more roles/TOI he was part of a better defense.

Stuart moves a heck of a lot better as well from what I've seen.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
How many years has it been since Wilson was actually a good third pairing guy for us, even when healthy? He's on the team cause it doesn't hurt to have him eat nachos and occasionally get a start or two while someone else needs a break. But in case of a serious injury there will be a call up, Siemens on the left, Elliott or noreau on the right, cause those guys are better and can still improve/adapt with consistent minutes. Wilson and Guenin get to eat nachos together until their contracts expire.

I don't understand how you can say that about Wilson.

The combination of last year and this preseason I wouldn't even trust him for more than 5 minutes a game. I don't think Noreau or Gervais would be much of an upgrade at the start, but at least Noreau has some potential. Wilson is done.

Wilson was good in the playoffs. Which doesn't mean I think he's good, but I know he belongs in the NHL.

Noreau was struggling defending against the Flames B-Squad, and I've seen enough from Gervais over the years to know I prefer him to Stollery in a pinch, but he's not a good option.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

Stuart is a big upgrade over Sarich. Stuart skates better now, than Sarich did when he was 22. No question at all here.

Redmond/Benoit? I'm not sure that any of us really know. After all, we're talking about a guy who has played all of 18 NHL games in his career.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Stuart is a big upgrade over Sarich. Stuart skates better now, than Sarich did when he was 22. No question at all here.

Redmond/Benoit? I'm not sure that any of us really know. After all, we're talking about a guy who has played all of 18 NHL games in his career.

I like the what we saw with Redmond so far , yes it was pre-season and we didnt have all the games on TV , but i think it was a good signature by the Avs and definitely an upgrade over what we had in the past . I believethere's a chance he could even be in our top 4

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
I like the what we saw with Redmond so far , yes it was pre-season and we didnt have all the games on TV , but i think it was a good signature by the Avs and definitely an upgrade over what we had in the past . I believethere's a chance he could even be in our top 4

Isn't he a RHD? He won't pass EJ or Barrie on the right side.
If he can play on the left, he could be 2nd pairing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Isn't he a RHD? He won't pass EJ or Barrie on the right side.
If he can play on the left, he could be 2nd pairing.

He can play the left, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if a Holden-Redmond pairing averaged more minutes than Hejda-Barrie.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Wilson was good in the playoffs. Which doesn't mean I think he's good, but I know he belongs in the NHL.

Noreau was struggling defending against the Flames B-Squad, and I've seen enough from Gervais over the years to know I prefer him to Stollery in a pinch, but he's not a good option.

Are you talking about 2009, cause Wilson certainly wasn't good in the playoffs last year.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
The funny thing about Wilson is that he wasn't even good in 2009. People just drooled over the 1 out of every 7 hits he made.
He's never been more than a bottom pairing guy.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Are you talking about 2009, cause Wilson certainly wasn't good in the playoffs last year.

He came off the bench and and had two assists in four games. He was respectable defensively.

Based on what I've seen in the past and in this pre-season, Bruno Gervais and Maxim Noreau would have been overwhelmed in the same situation. That's why neither were in the NHL last season and will not start in the NHL this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad