Waived: Noreau and Gervais (and Mueller)

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
Unless Noreau outplayed Zach Redmond, he wasn't going to make the team. Guenin and Wilson are irrelevant since they'll be healthy scratches.

And this talk about Wilson and Guenin being "Roy's Angels" is odd. Roy brought in direct competition to these players and it's not like he hasn't benched them last season either. I don't think Roy's as enamored with Guenin and Wilson as many suggest.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Annnnnd zero ****s given for Bruno Gervais haha. Too bad Noreau didn't grab a spot. I liked Guenin last year but want him nowhere near the lineup this year.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
No surprise here. Neither was great in the games I got to watch. Both were signed for the AHL, anyway.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Blues fans were pencilling mueller in the top 9 right after that signing. They were certain that some Hitchcock coaching would turn his career around. I don't think coyotes, Avs, or panthers fans are surprised.

Noreau and Gervais aren't really surprising. Though I wish we had better options than Wilson and Guenin.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Gervais did nothing, Noreau at least showed the positive parts in his game. The top 8 D was pretty much penciled in from day 1 anyway with Elliott being the only one who had maybe a shot to supplant one.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
So the D are set, which marginal forwards are left? Everberg, Rendulic..

Too bad Hishon got cut already, thought he was our best offensive player yesterday despite a few bad giveaways. But either way nice to see him healthy and look forward to him getting a few games this year.

member 116861

So the D are set, which marginal forwards are left? Everberg, Rendulic..

Too bad Hishon got cut already, thought he was our best offensive player yesterday despite a few bad giveaways. But either way nice to see him healthy and look forward to him getting a few games this year.

Agozzino is still there as well.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Say what you want about Ryan Wilson, but he's a head and shoulders better than these two. He's not even that bad (third pairing), he just makes too much money and can't stay healthy.

Noreau is intriguing if someone were to go down, as he obviously has a lot of offensive talent.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Say what you want about Ryan Wilson, but he's a head and shoulders better than these two. He's not even that bad (third pairing), he just makes too much money and can't stay healthy.

Noreau is intriguing if someone were to go down, as he obviously has a lot of offensive talent.

I don't understand how you can say that about Wilson.

The combination of last year and this preseason I wouldn't even trust him for more than 5 minutes a game. I don't think Noreau or Gervais would be much of an upgrade at the start, but at least Noreau has some potential. Wilson is done.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It will be interesting to see what the D-pairings look like in LE with so much competition. Do they keep 23 on the roster as well?

I don't think they have a roster limit, or at least it's not restricted to 23. Coach Dean said he doesn't want to carry too many extra with Ft Wayne so close. I'd imagine Siemens-Elliot is one. Stollery and Corbett seem to be one in camp, Corbett has played in the right side a lot in camp. I'm sure Gervaus and Noreau get a spot too. So that leaves Beaupre, Lauridsen as in the mix too. Yeah should be interesting.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I believe I read somewhere that they were going to have a normal roster. Instead of having extras hanging around they are just going to utilize Ft Wayne and have people going back and worth.

It's not just the D group. They are going to have great competition throughout the lineup, especially once everyone in the organization is healthy.

Agozzino - Hishon - Smith
Bourke - Street - Rendulic
Everberg - Sgarbossa- Vincour
Schumacher - Henley - Meurs
Heard, Cheek, Carey
And that's just the guys with nhl contracts (plus Schumacher who is obviously impressing). Who knows about guys like Condon, Power, Ryan, Maggio, etc. It's going to be really interesting just to see how the depth chart falls.

Will, Sami and Pickard should have a tremendous battle. One of these guys is going to be in Ft. Wayne

Siemens - Noreau
Lauridsen - Elliott
Stollery - Corbett
Beuapre, Gervais, plus potential surprises
I would imagine it ends up being these guys, but who gets the most time? Stollery was statistically the best last year. He could end up a scratch this year.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Bourke and Smith have been glued together since Avs camp but they need a big guy with them. Agree Hishon and Agz would be another pair. Carey is a lot higher in the pecking order to be a scratch. Talk of Gervais wearing a letter, he won't be a scratch either. Maybe easiest thing is to ship all not on NHL contract to Ft Wayne.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Bourke and Smith have been glued together since Avs camp but they need a big guy with them. Agree Hishon and Agz would be another pair. Carey is a lot higher in the pecking order to be a scratch. Talk of Gervais wearing a letter, he won't be a scratch either. Maybe easiest thing is to ship all not on NHL contract to Ft Wayne.

Yeah, I really have no idea who plays where. Was more just trying to get the names on paper to see the actual numbers involved. Tried to guess the best I could.

Maybe switch Street with Smith. Then it's Bourke - Smith - Rendulic. I really don't see any bigger centers playing on the top 2 lines and it seems like Bourke and Smith are top 6 players and don't see them playing in the bottom six.

Carey is one of those guys I have no idea about. Who does he play over? sgarbossa, Everberg? Take some size out of the line up and replace Henley or Schumacher? Can he play the right side?

Had the same thought about Gervais, but who sits instead? It sounds like he is very weak defensively, but is he even as good as Elliott or Noreau on offense? Or even Stollery or Corbett who are more 2 way talents? They got to have Lauridsen or Beaupre in the lineup with all these smaller guys.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Yeah, I really have no idea who plays where. Was more just trying to get the names on paper to see the actual numbers involved. Tried to guess the best I could.

Maybe switch Street with Smith. Then it's Bourke - Smith - Rendulic. I really don't see any bigger centers playing on the top 2 lines and it seems like Bourke and Smith are top 6 players and don't see them playing in the bottom six.

Carey is one of those guys I have no idea about. Who does he play over? sgarbossa, Everberg? Take some size out of the line up and replace Henley or Schumacher? Can he play the right side?

Had the same thought about Gervais, but who sits instead? It sounds like he is very weak defensively, but is he even as good as Elliott or Noreau on offense? Or even Stollery or Corbett who are more 2 way talents? They got to have Lauridsen or Beaupre in the lineup with all these smaller guys.
I would say there's little to no chance Lauridsen and Beaupre are in the lineup over Gervais, who has 400 games of NHL experience. He wasn't brought in to sit or be in the ECHL.

I would bet Corbett and Beaurpe start in the ECHL, to be honest. Injuries will hit and they'll get AHL games, but that's my guess.

I'd guess:

Stollery - Gervais
Siemens - Noreau
Lauridsen - Elliott

or something like that.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Better to have NotStazeau in Lake Erie getting minutes on North American ice and pushing Elliott than to have him eatin nachos. Let Guenin hang out with Wilson during the games. And if there's an injury Guenin can step in for a game or two and kill some penalties, while if it's a longer injury, say to Barrie, then they can call up Elliott or Noreau for the role with them getting consistent minutes to stay sharp and adjust what they need to adjust.

Basically the same reason Siemens should start the season in Lake Erie and let Wilson eat nachos with some spot starts unless a major injury happens that necessitates a multi-week solution.

As far as the monsters go. What I'd like to see the dcorp shake out as, though not what I expect it to be:
Siemens - Noreau
Lauridsen/Beaupre - Elliott
Corbett/Stollery - Gervais/Lauridsen

Not as sure on the forwards though I like seeing heard in a bigger role and am rooting for Condon and Henley hard. Think there's a good bit of Talbot and Winchester, respectively, to their games. If heard can grow into a rich man's right handed McCleod, I'd absolutely adore what we had going on with our fourth line.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

How many years has it been since Wilson was actually a good third pairing guy for us, even when healthy? He's on the team cause it doesn't hurt to have him eat nachos and occasionally get a start or two while someone else needs a break. But in case of a serious injury there will be a call up, Siemens on the left, Elliott or noreau on the right, cause those guys are better and can still improve/adapt with consistent minutes. Wilson and Guenin get to eat nachos together until their contracts expire.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I would say there's little to no chance Lauridsen and Beaupre are in the lineup over Gervais, who has 400 games of NHL experience. He wasn't brought in to sit or be in the ECHL.

I would bet Corbett and Beaurpe start in the ECHL, to be honest. Injuries will hit and they'll get AHL games, but that's my guess.

I'd guess:

Stollery - Gervais
Siemens - Noreau
Lauridsen - Elliott

or something like that.

If Gervais is sitting it's because of the guys who are expected to produce. And who knows who comes out of that group as the best. Noreau has Barrie like numbers and showed the most skill in the Avs camp. Elliott obviously has some skill and he might get the nod just in hopes of what he could be if he gets it together. Corbett is the most versatile and brings more than just offensive skill to the ice, but he still has the offensive tools as well. Stollery is more than just O as well. Gervais has the leadership qualities. Each guy has good reasons to be in the lineup. Noreau sitting would be the only surprise to me.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I don't understand how you can say that about Wilson.

The combination of last year and this preseason I wouldn't even trust him for more than 5 minutes a game. I don't think Noreau or Gervais would be much of an upgrade at the start, but at least Noreau has some potential. Wilson is done.

Disagree.

I watched at least 3 of our pre-season games and he was tasked with top pairing minutes in all of them...doing quite well.

Scale that back to 14 minutes a night and he's just fine as a 6th D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad