Sportsnet: Nonis anxious to make moves

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
lol. Everyone here is so concerned about our forward group when scoring was never the issue for the past 3 years. It's the defense/goaltending i'm worried about

This is very true.

Although a top 6 two way center would certainly help both scoring and the defensive side of the game (what Bozak is to us now, except hopefully upgraded).

As much as I like Scrivens, I really believe the Leafs need to upgrade the backup position this offseason - whether that be acquiring a guy like Bernier for an excellent young tandem, or a veteran guy like Nabokov for solidity. Reimer was great this past year but I'm still way to nervous about injuries to him to have a guy like Scrivens behind him and then nothing behind that.

Ideally we would have Scrivens as our #3 goalie, but you know...waivers and stuff.

I would really like to upgrade the defense as well. Scuderi would be a good target but unfortunately the defense in UFA is very weak after him. Meaning he's going to get PAID.

IMO Targets are:

1. Backup/1B goalie
2. Top 6 two way center
3. Top 4 shutdown defender
4. Bottom 6/borderline 2nd line two way winger (with size)

I'd prefer to keep Bozak in the 3rd line role over Grabovski (assuming we manage to pick up a guy like Weiss or Stastny for the top 6) but I can see why management might not want to give up on the guy so soon after signing his large contract. Also tough to move that contract right now.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
You don't think Nonis was on board with the resigning along with the rest of the management team thats still on board? You realize that management had very positive thinngs to say about him, after the season?

Signing Grabovski was a huge mistake. Hopefully, Nonis understands that.

You realize saying good things about players is good asset management. Even if you hate a player, you don't want other teams to know, since that just drives down the value.

Get rid of at any cost? I am so glad you aren't running this team.

Not any cost, but anything that is nothing or more would be fine.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
...As much as I like Scrivens, I really believe the Leafs need to upgrade the backup position this offseason - whether that be acquiring a guy like Bernier for an excellent young tandem, or a veteran guy like Nabokov for solidity. Reimer was great this past year but I'm still way to nervous about injuries to him to have a guy like Scrivens behind him and then nothing behind that.

Ideally we would have Scrivens as our #3 goalie, but you know...waivers and stuff.

I don't understand why we should trade a young goalie and replace him with a "veteran backup". We could be trading the next Rask and keeping the Pogge again. What's wrong with someone who is good (http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/player/_/stat/goaltending/sort/savePct/seasontype/2), young and works for 625,0000? Keep them both...sink or swim.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I don't understand why we should trade a young goalie and replace him with a "veteran backup". We could be trading the next Rask and keeping the Pogge again. What's wrong with someone who is good (http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/player/_/stat/goaltending/sort/savePct/seasontype/2), young and works for 625,0000?

Nothing's wrong with Scrivens but if Reimer gets injured again, we have Scrivens and....Drew MacIntyre? And Reimer hasn't exactly been great at not getting injured. I'm not confident in Scrivens to carry the team for any amount of time.

We need more depth at the position IMO, whether it be a vet backup or another young goalie like Bernier.

Ideally I'd like to keep Scrivens and get another guy for depth, but I don't think that would work.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I hope Nonis can sign Bozak, and keep him on the 1st line with Kessel. They have proved that they play really well together, and are really good friends. Lets not forget they live together as well. Signing Bozie makes signing Kessel that much easier, and maybe paying Bozie 4.5 will help us sign Kessel and a reasonable price. Got to think that if we had a healthy Bozak for Game 7 they wouldn't have scored 2 goals in the last minute.

I'd rather keep Bozak over Grabo...
If we keep Bozak, he's either a top line or sheltered guy. I personally wouldn't mind resigning him for $4 million per, and just maintain the first line. It's not like offensive production from the first line was a problem in the playoffs.

The fact is, the real problem was our ability to shut down the top lines which resulted in an exaggerated GA. There was even more issues with lack of puck support from the forwards than the D core. I just cannot see Bozak doing Grabs job. He failed when we tried and it would obviously be a lot better having a larger shut down centre in Bozak as well.

We either keep Grabovski or acquire someone else who could do the job better. Maybe consider signing Filppula. One thing I know for certain, we'll either Colborne or Kadri being placed in the role rather than Bozak. I wouldn't mind a bit more experience, though.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Signing Grabovski was a huge mistake. Hopefully, Nonis understands that.

You realize saying good things about players is good asset management. Even if you hate a player, you don't want other teams to know, since that just drives down the value.

Not any cost, but anything that is nothing or more would be fine.

Explain huge mistake? He's about 1 million over paid, standard rate for a UFA. Dispite having a subpar 48 games, he's a warrior and will bounce back next year.

There are way too many people on this board concerned with the top 6, bottom 6 mold. Where as the NHL is turning more towards a top 9.

There is nothing wrong with a third hybrid line, abd having a true shut down fourth. In no way have we not been able to make a deal because of Grabo's deal.

Acquiring players of Grabo's skillset require assets, and typically expensive ones.

We are in no position to go into next season with Colborne or McClement as a top 3 centre if we want to be successful. Injuries happen.

You should turn off your xbox abd watch some hockey.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
If we keep Bozak, he's either a top line or sheltered guy. I personally wouldn't mind resigning him for $4 million per, and just maintain the first line. It's not like offensive production from the first line was a problem in the playoffs.

The fact is, the real problem was our ability to shut down the top lines which resulted in an exaggerated GA. There was even more issues with lack of puck support from the forwards than the D core. I just cannot see Bozak doing Grabs job. He failed when we tried and it would obviously be a lot better having a larger shut down centre in Bozak as well.

We either keep Grabovski or acquire someone else who could do the job better. Maybe consider signing Filppula. One thing I know for certain, we'll either Colborne or Kadri being placed in the role rather than Bozak. I wouldn't mind a bit more experience, though.

Honestly, I'd like to keep both unless a sure fire asset is there. If we manage to keep Bozak and acquire a legit top line centre then we can talk about movib Grabo. But we've been trying to get that centre since Sundin.

I don't feel any more oprimistic this year than any other season.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
We were constantly being outshoted and offense is not the problem?

We were outshot because even though we did a good job of keeping opposing offenses to the outside and preventing good scoring chances, we had a very difficult time actually getting the puck back and moving it out of our zone. If we could improve on that, we'd spend more time in the offensive zone and get more shots. Leafs scored a lot of their goals off the rush and didn't spend much time in the attacking zone.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
We were outshot because even though we did a good job of keeping opposing offenses to the outside and preventing good scoring chances, we had a very difficult time actually getting the puck back and moving it out of our zone. If we could improve on that, we'd spend more time in the offensive zone and get more shots. Leafs scored a lot of their goals off the rush and didn't spend much time in the attacking zone.

Let's not forget where the majority of our shots-against came from -- mostly outside, low-percentage shots. So while we were out-shot, we often out-chanced the opponent.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010

It is a strange system Carlyle has put into place, either that or the team didn't play the system well.

Leafs basically went into a 5 man defensive shell in the middle of our own zone and forced the opponent to the outside. This allowed the other team to get a lot of low percentage shots on our goal and limited our possession.

When we do get the puck, thanks to our blazing speed, we often scored on the rush and counter attack, but rarely had sustained pressure in the opposing zone.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
It is a strange system Carlyle has put into place, either that or the team didn't play the system well.

Leafs basically went into a 5 man defensive shell in the middle of our own zone and forced the opponent to the outside. This allowed the other team to get a lot of low percentage shots on our goal and limited our possession.

When we do get the puck, thanks to our blazing speed, we often scored on the rush and counter attack, but rarely had sustained pressure in the opposing zone.

Our cycle game is pretty atrocious right now, and we're weak along the boards. It's pretty funny (or sad, I can't tell) but Orr is one of our better players along the side-wall and on the cycle. Guys like Kulemin and JVR are pretty good too but the team's main strength is on the rush. If the Leafs can truly bloom under Nonis I can see them leading a bit of a paradigm shift in the NHL. For the past 3 years teams have relied heavily on the cycle and slowing down the game, hopefully Toronto can bring back the speedy and successful type of team from years past.

wulfio*

I don't understand why we should trade a young goalie and replace him with a "veteran backup". We could be trading the next Rask and keeping the Pogge again. What's wrong with someone who is good (http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/player/_/stat/goaltending/sort/savePct/seasontype/2), young and works for 625,0000? Keep them both...sink or swim.

lol scrivens is no rask.

And I could have to told you rask > pogge after those WJC's... Pogge was on a defensively stingy junior team and a really strong WJ squad. They could have put a shooter tutor in net and still won. He'd have done well in Jersey's system I'm sure.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Explain huge mistake? He's about 1 million over paid, standard rate for a UFA. Dispite having a subpar 48 games, he's a warrior and will bounce back next year.

As I said, I hated the deal when it was signed, and it's not because I knew Grabovski would have a bad season. Even if he has a good season, he's not worth the money.

There are way too many people on this board concerned with the top 6, bottom 6 mold. Where as the NHL is turning more towards a top 9.

There is nothing wrong with a third hybrid line, abd having a true shut down fourth. In no way have we not been able to make a deal because of Grabo's deal.

The biggest problem is that Grabovski doesn't really fit into any role. Doesn't use his linemates well enough to play top-6. Isn't reliable enough to play bottom-6

He is a stop-gap. You use him plug a hole until a replacement can be found.

Acquiring players of Grabo's skillset require assets, and typically expensive ones.

Grabo has a great skillset, but he is dumb.

We are in no position to go into next season with Colborne or McClement as a top 3 centre if we want to be successful. Injuries happen.

That's true, but Grabovski isn't the solution.

You should turn off your xbox abd watch some hockey.

I don't own an Xbox. Having said that, I do know how hockey video games work, and I would guess Grabovski would be very effective if you could control him. As I said earlier, he has a great skillset, but he's dump. Put a controller in my hand and the fact that he's dumb doesn't matter.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Let's not forget where the majority of our shots-against came from -- mostly outside, low-percentage shots. So while we were out-shot, we often out-chanced the opponent.

My gosh, do you mean you actually watch these games and not just look up stats on NHL.com? I'm tires of people throwing numbers at me in regards to Reimer. No numbers will change what the eyes see

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
As I said, I hated the deal when it was signed, and it's not because I knew Grabovski would have a bad season. Even if he has a good season, he's not worth the money.

The biggest problem is that Grabovski doesn't really fit into any role. Doesn't use his linemates well enough to play top-6. Isn't reliable enough to play bottom-6

He is a stop-gap. You use him plug a hole until a replacement can be found.

Grabo has a great skillset, but he is dumb.

That's true, but Grabovski isn't the solution.

I don't own an Xbox. Having said that, I do know how hockey video games work, and I would guess Grabovski would be very effective if you could control him. As I said earlier, he has a great skillset, but he's dump. Put a controller in my hand and the fact that he's dumb doesn't matter.

The market has changed my friend.

I'm assuming you think we should have let him walk, and entered the season Bozak as our only legit top nine centre? (no one knew Kadri would step in as well as he did).

Or did you want Connolly and Bozak as our 1-2? He was the BEST option available last season, and was only over paid by a million.

You may think he's the wrong player to win a championship, you may be right. But thats a difference of opinion. I'd rather go into the season with Grabo, unless we get a TRUE upgrade - and there doesn't seem to be one available.

NaiveLeafsFan

Aug 29, 2010
Ajax, UofT
Good. I wouldn't mind if we acquired Hemsky and Horcoff from Edmonton if we could give them Grabovski and Liles in return. Nonis also has some work to do on trying to get Weiss and Clarkson to sign here on decent deals and acquire some depth on defense, our fourth line and possibly goaltending.

Although Grabovski is an obviously better and more valuable player than Horcoff at this stage, I really don't think he fits with this team going forward. He isn't a 3rd line player in Carlyle's system and Horcoff brings veteran leadership, can win faceoffs and plays a good defensive game. Hemsky would be a nice addition to our top 6, but I'm not sure he can stay healthy long enough to be effective. This may seem like a poor move for Nonis to make, but I think it would make the team better this season.

JvR-Weiss-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Hemsky
Kulemin-Horcoff-Clarkson

That top 9 looks pretty good.

Horcoff, Weiss and Clarkson are all terrible. Grabovski is a plus possession player. One of our better ones. I'm all for trading Liles or buying him out.

If Nonis did any of those moves I'd consider the offseason a failure tbh.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I am dumbfounded by the Grabovski is dumb comments. How the heck do you get that I have no idea. He is not the best playmaker in the world but he is not bad either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad