Sportsnet: Nonis anxious to make moves

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
We don't have the pieces to get a clear CUT #1 centre like everyone wants.

Moving Percy is moving from a place of strength and addressing a weakness. Plus if it doesn't work, Stastny is gone at the end of the year and we have money to sign Phaneuf, Kessel, Kadri. Win-win.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre

Moving Percy is moving from a place of strength and addressing a weakness. Plus if it doesn't work, Stastny is gone at the end of the year and we have money to sign Phaneuf, Kessel, Kadri. Win-win.

I'd stay way from trading talented prospects like Percy (Boring but Talented)

I'd rather trade Liles and Picks/Low-mid prospects

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
I'd stay way from trading talented prospects like Percy (Boring but Talented)

I'd rather trade Liles and Picks/Low-mid prospects

I just threw Percy in there as an idea of what they'd want. I'm not sure how low his value is to them. If they want a 4th or even a 3rd I say we do it. The potential of a line-up with Kessel with a natural playmaker bigger then Kadri is drool worthy.

Lufa

Dec 1, 2011
JVR - Stastny - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Kulemin - Grabovski - Frattin
D'Amigo/Ashton/Mcclaren - McClement - Orr

Phaneuf - Franson
Gardiner - Gunnarson
Fraser (Having fully recovered from the giant DENT in his head) - Holzer

I'm not even happy with this lineup.

I think a Phaneuf - Franson pairing has potential.

I don't want Holzer to be up either. Assuming we don't acquire some defensive help for Phaneuf, which we most likely will do, I think Holzer can be a reliable 6th or 7th. He get's a lot of hate, and unless Blacker can steal it from him, I think he has the best blend of mobility and toughness we have ready in the system right now

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
I worry about that myself. Horton seems injury prone and has some hatred for Phaneuf. Is it a good fit? Seems unlikely.

That kind of hatred disappears the second you become teammates. I don't see Horton fitting in well with our style of play though.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
JVR - Stastny - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Clarkson
Kulemin - Grabovski - Frattin
D'Amigo/Ashton/Mcclaren - McClement - Orr

Phaneuf - Franson
Gardiner - Gunnarson
Fraser (Having fully recovered from the giant DENT in his head) - Holzer

I'm not even happy with this lineup.

I think a Phaneuf - Franson pairing has potential.

I don't want Holzer to be up either. Assuming we don't acquire some defensive help for Phaneuf, which we most likely will do, I think Holzer can be a reliable 6th or 7th. He get's a lot of hate, and unless Blacker can steal it from him, I think he has the best blend of mobility and toughness we have ready in the system right now

I would much rather overpay for horton, then overpay for clarkson.

There is also rumours of clutterbuck being available, acquire him and use kessel-frattin-clutterbuck down the right side. Frattin could be a good physical 2nd line winger given time and experience.

our defense requires major work, i would love statsny and would pay through the nose too. Statsny would be the #1 center weve needed for years.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Franson doesn't kill penalties, is a 3rd pairing dman 5 on 5 but is very good on the powerplay. His numbers should get him a big raise but he won't be able to earn it if he's not getting PP time.

He played 12-15 minutes for the first eight games of the season, then averaged about 20 minutes for the rest of the way, with the minutes steadily increasing the whole way.

By the end of the Boston series, Leafs were basically relying on the Phaneuf/Gunnarson and Franson/Gardiner pairings, with Liles and O'Byrne getting a few garbage minutes. Both top pairs were on the ice for 2 goals against at the end of game 7, but they were also the four defenceman who Carlyle leaned on heavily for the last three games as Toronto held Boston to 3 goals in 8 periods.

Franson's ability to adapt to Gardiner's style of play after playing most of the season with Fraser, whose style is basically the exact opposite of Gardiner's, was also impressive.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
If we did get Stastny, I'd prefer to run the lines like this:

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
Kulemin - Stastny - (Clarkson etc)

Run a scoring line, then a two way line just like the Bruins and Hawks do.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I would much much rather still have Burke running the show. i miss that big lug already, i just feel uneasy with Nonis at the helm. He just seems so timid and reluctant to really go hard after what he wants, whatever that is

Burke had the balls to pull the trigger on deals that would bring the team closer to his vision.

Does Nonis?

We will find out this year. With the cap coming down and amnesty buyouts, Nonis has a huge opportunity to make an impact.

If he fails to do so, I will seriously question Nonis's ability to take a team to the cup.

Lufa

Dec 1, 2011
I would much rather overpay for horton, then overpay for clarkson.

There is also rumours of clutterbuck being available, acquire him and use kessel-frattin-clutterbuck down the right side. Frattin could be a good physical 2nd line winger given time and experience.

our defense requires major work, i would love statsny and would pay through the nose too. Statsny would be the #1 center weve needed for years.

If we're talking overpaying for Stastny, I'd rather talk about reaching for Duchene.

Clutterbuck would address the loss of Komarov and then some, He'd be a great addition.

Frattin does have 2nd line potential for sure, he reminds me of a Dustin Brown-lite. But I would rather have that 2nd line RW dedicated to someone with either more experience, (Clarkson/Horton-esque) or have Kulemin step up alongside Lupul - Kadri.

I really don't want to overpay in Free Agency though

Lufa

Dec 1, 2011
If we did get Stastny, I'd prefer to run the lines like this:

Lupul - Kadri - Kessel
Kulemin - Stastny - (Clarkson etc)

Run a scoring line, then a two way line just like the Bruins and Hawks do.

You'd want JVR on the third?

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London

I think the pieces are there, but it'll cost the guys no one will want to move: Kessel, Gardiner, Reilly, Kadri, additional 1sts and other picks. You could do it, it just may not be worth it.

Then again, it also depends on who you consider to be clear cut #1.

Last edited:

Leafs For Life*

I'd rather

JVR-Staz-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Frattin
Kulemin-McClement-Clarkson

But that's just me to have 2 really good offensive lines and a great defensive line.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
I'd rather

JVR-Staz-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Frattin

But that's just me to have 2 really good offensive lines and a great defensive line.

Totally agree. I LOVE those lines.

Ideally we would get a defensive #3C (Stupid Bozak and his 4mil!!) and shift McClement to the 4th line to maximize his PK Toi, but McClement as a #3C is fine nevertheless

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Dear nonis please stay away from clarkson and Weiss unless they want to take a huge home town discount

Lufa

Dec 1, 2011
lol, its late gimme a break. No definitely the 2nd.

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Stastny-Kulemin

All out scoring line, and a great twoway line with size.
I'd definitely be okay with that top 6. If we could improve upon it, great. But going into the season with Stastny down the middle would be a huge addition.

The defense is another story

Lufa

Dec 1, 2011
lol, its late gimme a break. No definitely the 2nd.

Lupul-Kadri-Kessel
JVR-Stastny-Kulemin

All out scoring line, and a great twoway line with size.
I'd definitely be okay with that top 6. If we could improve upon it, great. But going into the season with Stastny down the middle would be a huge addition.

The defense is another story

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I'd rather

JVR-Staz-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Frattin

That "third line" needs a more offensive two-way player in the middle. I am not sure if Lupul and Frattin could carry McClement like Hossa/ Sharp does with Handzus. Remember, we tend to use MacArthur - Grabovski - Kulemin against the top lines.

I cannot see that shut down line performing like a Carter/ Zetterberg line, but more like a Suter one in Pittsburgh. The only difference is that we don't have a Crosby-Malkin tandem and it's clear that one of them are going to be asked to go against the top lines. That sheltered scoring line should be a low cost depth line.

We need to groom Kadri to be taking on top guys. Much like Duchene has been placed into that role. Maybe Lupul and Clarkson/ Bickell on the wing would make them a legitimate offensive threat. Kadri will have to work on his draws. Regardless, I cannot see Bozak being utilized in that role if resigned.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
That "third line" needs a more offensive two-way player in the middle. I am not sure if Lupul and Frattin could carry McClement like Hossa/ Sharp does with Handzus. Remember, we tend to use MacArthur - Grabovski - Kulemin against the top lines.

I cannot see that shut down line performing like a Carter/ Zetterberg line, but more like a Suter one in Pittsburgh. The only difference is that we don't have a Crosby-Malkin tandem and it's clear that one of them are going to be asked to go against the top lines. That sheltered scoring line should be a low cost depth line.

We need to groom Kadri to be taking on top guys. Much like Duchene has been placed into that role. Maybe Lupul and Clarkson/ Bickell on the wing would make them a legitimate offensive threat. Kadri will have to work on his draws. Regardless, I cannot see Bozak being utilized in that role if resigned.
as we sit right now i see two teams at least better than us from last year: detroit and philly and

unless nonis shows me the stones to go out amd make a real spash i just dont see the leafs contending for more than 9-12 th again in 2013 /14
even a kessel extension would be welcome news and im not a huge kessel fan
lots gotta happen in the next week to 10 days to get people excited
im thinking leweike is giving nonis a year to put hius stamp on this burke sh@t show
dont expect much ,more jay mclement"s and not a true captain or numbrer 1 center

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
So a guy like Paul Stastny....

Burke signed Grabovski, and he's gone.

I do agree thatw we shouldn't use an amnesty on him, but I'd be getting rid of him at any price. Never liked him, and I hated that signing.

You don't think Nonis was on board with the resigning along with the rest of the management team thats still on board? You realize that management had very positive thinngs to say about him, after the season?

Get rid of at any cost? I am so glad you aren't running this team.

officialmark7*

I hope Nonis can sign Bozak, and keep him on the 1st line with Kessel. They have proved that they play really well together, and are really good friends. Lets not forget they live together as well. Signing Bozie makes signing Kessel that much easier, and maybe paying Bozie 4.5 will help us sign Kessel and a reasonable price. Got to think that if we had a healthy Bozak for Game 7 they wouldn't have scored 2 goals in the last minute.

I'd rather keep Bozak over Grabo...

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
lol. Everyone here is so concerned about our forward group when scoring was never the issue for the past 3 years. It's the defense/goaltending i'm worried about

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
lol. Everyone here is so concerned about our forward group when scoring was never the issue for the past 3 years. It's the defense/goaltending i'm worried about

"Build from the goalie out, with strong defense and strength down the middle"..

That is how good teams are built and assembled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad