Sportsnet: Nonis anxious to make moves

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Good. I wouldn't mind if we acquired Hemsky and Horcoff from Edmonton if we could give them Grabovski and Liles in return. Nonis also has some work to do on trying to get Weiss and Clarkson to sign here on decent deals and acquire some depth on defense, our fourth line and possibly goaltending.

Although Grabovski is an obviously better and more valuable player than Horcoff at this stage, I really don't think he fits with this team going forward. He isn't a 3rd line player in Carlyle's system and Horcoff brings veteran leadership, can win faceoffs and plays a good defensive game. Hemsky would be a nice addition to our top 6, but I'm not sure he can stay healthy long enough to be effective. This may seem like a poor move for Nonis to make, but I think it would make the team better this season.

JvR-Weiss-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Hemsky
Kulemin-Horcoff-Clarkson

That top 9 looks pretty good.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Although I would like to see some additions, I hope it's not in the expense of our young players. I really enjoyed watching the likes of Kadri, Frattin and Gardiner coming on to their own. Even Colborne showed some positives.

We do need a veteran or two to show these kids how to stay calm during a storm, as we faced against Boston. This is where I think a guy like Clarkson would really fit in. Not since Clarke and Robarts have we had a player at that type.

I hope he keeps the same players, they were a treat to watch. With the exception of Kostka please.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nonis knows the Leafs have numerous holes and that there is work ahead.

This is his first summer to mold the team into his own and with Lieweke on board providing input and direction I expect things to happen.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Good. I wouldn't mind if we acquired Hemsky and Horcoff from Edmonton if we could give them Grabovski and Liles in return. Nonis also has some work to do on trying to get Weiss and Clarkson to sign here on decent deals and acquire some depth on defense, our fourth line and possibly goaltending.

Although Grabovski is an obviously better and more valuable player than Horcoff at this stage, I really don't think he fits with this team going forward. He isn't a 3rd line player in Carlyle's system and Horcoff brings veteran leadership, can win faceoffs and plays a good defensive game. Hemsky would be a nice addition to our top 6, but I'm not sure he can stay healthy long enough to be effective. This may seem like a poor move for Nonis to make, but I think it would make the team better this season.

JvR-Weiss-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Hemsky
Kulemin-Horcoff-Clarkson

I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in a player like Horcoff but certainly nowhere near his cap hit. Horcoff has a cap hit of 5.5 x 2 years but an actual salary of a lot less at a total of 7 million. Because of the difference in cap vs. actual I see him being a better fit for a team that doesn't spend to the cap like the Panthers or Preds.

Zubrus is the UFA center I'd target to fill that 3rd line role. He's very big, good on the PK, will come in on a short term deal of 1 to 2 years max until Colborne has proven he can handle that role. Zubrus also has played LW throughout his career which adds versatility to the lineup.

I have no interest in Hemsky. Makes far to much, injured far to often, doesn't kill penalties needs PP time to be useful but we've already got better options to play ahead of him and he simply doesn't score enough for a scoring player. He can go be a good player on a bad team somewhere else like CMac.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Even with the two compliance buyouts available to each team, some will be forced to shed salary using other means to get under the $64.3-million cap. And it won’t come solely by traditional means, according to Nonis."

two?
great.....

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/johnston-leafs-gm-nonis-anxious-to-make-moves/

To people saying this will be a boring off-season, it sounds like Nonis is wanting to make some moves to add some of his touch to the team

This, combined with the rumours that Mactavish is also waiting to announce a trade or two... fairly safe assumption a deal is in place between Edmonton and Toronto, and it will likely affect other deals, of which is why Nonis wants to pull the trigger earlier. Cool stuff.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
This, combined with the rumours that Mactavish is also waiting to announce a trade or two... fairly safe assumption a deal is in place between Edmonton and Toronto, and it will likely affect other deals, of which is why Nonis wants to pull the trigger earlier. Cool stuff.

Hopefully involving a swap of our 1st rounders, without giving up jake or kadri

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
This part caught my eye.

" Nonis has also closely examined a free-agent class that will likely include centre Stephen Weiss and winger David Clarkson, among several others, but isn’t yet sure how active he’ll be when the market opens on July 5.

“That will depend on what happens (at the draft) in Jersey,” said Nonis. “Things could change dramatically. You never know. Right now we don’t have any deals in the works that would alter our team dramatically, but that could change. Last year we didn’t know about JVR’s (availability) until we got to the draft."

This is going to be a crazy off-season IMO. Nonis seems like he has a happy trigger finger right now, he definitely wants to make moves.

In burke I trust*

Sounds like Nonis wants to make this HIS team... really excited about this offseason :yo:

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

JvR-Weiss-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Hemsky
Kulemin-Horcoff-Clarkson

I like the sounds of it but that's a good $12+ M on your 3rd line.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Chi
Phi
TB
Van

are in the worst cap situation and have decent RFA's still to sign

pieterangelo, stewart, berglund, bogosian, bobo, hodgson, shattenkirk,

there are lots of rfa but i would be surprised if nonis would offer sheeted someone. it would definitely open himself up to retaliation.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Nonis knows the Leafs have numerous holes and that there is work ahead.

This is his first summer to mold the team into his own and with Lieweke on board providing input and direction I expect things to happen.

.....hopefully quicker then the 16 years it took in LA.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
pieterangelo, stewart, berglund, bogosian, bobo, hodgson, shattenkirk,

there are lots of rfa but i would be surprised if nonis would offer sheeted someone. it would definitely open himself up to retaliation.

i think he means RFA's that are not qualified, and become UFA's because team cannot afford to sign them (or trading for the rights to those players)

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009

JvR-Weiss-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Hemsky
Kulemin-Horcoff-Clarkson

Sorry but theres a lot wrong with this post. Horcoff is 35 coming into next season and has had injury problems. If people thought Grabo is overpaid for no production, I can only imagine the hate Hemsky would get over here. The guy hasn't had a full season since 2005. He put up 71 points in 2007 and has declined ever since. All for getting rid of Grabo because he doesn't "fit". You want defence but want to get rid of one?

Horcoff's cap hit is 5.5
Hemsky cap hit is 5

Grabovski cap hit is 5.5
Liles cap hit is 3.8

The deal handcuffs the Leafs. We take on more salary just to get rid of a guy who will probably put up better numbers than both? How do we even win this deal or even get better in the process and sign these free agents to "good deals" if we're being handcuffed by those 2? Grabo is younger than both guys and put up similar numbers to Hemsky if not better and isn't injury prone. People hate Grabovski, they'd never stop talking about how Hemsky or Horcoff suck.

Leafs For Life*

If it's not changing the team significantly, that really doesn't seem like Gardiner and that makes me happy. Hope we can do Grabo for Bolland.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad