GDT: Non-Wild Playoff Game Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Vancouver was so on their heels there. There was about a 5 second span where there were 4 Nucks players within a couple feet of the net.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
The Subban slash was pretty mild I think. 2 minutes would have been fine, IMO.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
The Subban slash was pretty mild I think. 2 minutes would have been fine, IMO.

Mild in result... severe in the intent... I think the punishment fit the crime.

I'm not a fan of results affecting punishment. If the act is illegal, the player should be punished for the act, not the lack of or severity of an injury resulting from said act.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
It's just that I don't feel that slash was that vicious. Against the rules, yes, but to me it didn't look like any more vicious than Suter does sometimes.

Oh well, there was no suspension. I do find Cameron's words very troubling though. I hope there isn't any retaliation.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Two handed chop to the wrist can break a players wrist. He went at the player, not the player's stick. That's what I saw anyway.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Two handed chop to the wrist can break a players wrist. He went at the player, not the player's stick. That's what I saw anyway.

Was Stone injured on the play? Not that it matters regarding the punishment, I just genuinely don't know.

Last edited:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I thought the Subban slash was definitely worth more than a minor penalty. It was rougher than your usual "I'll just slash your stick and get your hands a bit" -play. It was more like "I'll just slash your hands". Intent to injure, almost.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Whatever it was, it wasn't an accidental slash during the puck battle. Subban changed his grip and whacked an opponent with two hands. Regardless the force or intentions, it was a very stupid move.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Whatever it was, it wasn't an accidental slash during the puck battle. Subban changed his grip and whacked an opponent with two hands. Regardless the force or intentions, it was a very stupid move.

I would call it intent to injure all day long.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
great games last night. hey not sure if already talked about i picked up my wonka bar aka the nbc sports bracket bar and my chance to win a trip to the cup. sad news my bracket says detroit vs vancouver with wings winning it all RATTS! GO WILD!

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
I'm with Lapa here--Obviously what Subban did was tremendously dumb, but I guess through my Habs fan glasses I just don't see the "viciousness." It was a stick chop gone wrong. In all my years of watching hockey I don't think I've ever seen a major for slashing called before this, and I always imagined such a thing was less like this and more like the McSorley hit on Brashear. I could see the argument for, say, 2 for slashing and 2 for roughing/interference (since it was away from the puck), but not for an ejection.

I think something that's getting lost here is the fact that Stone was in the crease behind the defense. A defenseman's job is to patrol the crease. This looks to me like PK making an attempt to distract Stone without having to remove himself from the play. Again, it goes without saying that this isn't the right way to go about that, but it's not like he just clubbed him in the back of the head between plays or anything. If he had given him a shoulder check in the same situation, they probably wouldn't have even called interference.

Anyway what's really important here is, it really sucks to hear Stone is actually hurt. This was shaping up to be a great series, and now that potential is more than a bit diminished. Less even matchup, and probably a lot more stupid goonery ******** from both sides to come. And if the Habs win, no matter whether this was intentional or not, the result still gets a little bit of an asterisk, just like when Kreider ran Price in the Conference Finals last year.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
^ This is exactly what I think. It seemed like a small slash that happens many times a game, only this time Subban aimed it very poorly.

Damn shame Stone was injured.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
2. The rulebook seems clear. As pointed out by former NHL ref Kerry Fraser, the rulebook says that any slash that causes an injury is an automatic five and a game. That’s pretty cut-and-dried. Good call.

3. That’s a terrible rule. Here’s the problem: NHL referees aren’t doctors, and they don’t get to examine players after penalties. So if the NHL wants to factor injuries into penalty calls, it’s inviting all sorts of trouble. Stone certainly looked hurt; when he sprinted off, my first thought was that he probably had a broken wrist. But when he returned minutes later, Subban was furious — cameras caught him screaming at someone from the hallway between the benches. Habs fans were too.

This whole scenario illustrates the foolishness of basing penalties on injuries; if I’m an NHL player and I get slashed, apparently I should just make a dash for the dressing room and earn my team an automatic five-minute power play. And it’s why the rule, while fairly clear as written, isn’t often called that way. Players get slashed all the time, and they often look like they’re hurt in the aftermath, but ejections for slashing are relatively rare.

DGB's 10 observations on "the slash"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad