Non-star players from your team history you miss the most

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Tie Domi. Hit hard, fought hard and was the heart of some pretty fun Toronto teams.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I was such a huge fan of Chris Higgins. I loved him with the Habs. I actually own the stick he used to score his only hat trick with Montreal (autographed too!).

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
- paul woods = mr hustle . been great on redwing radio for decades too
- and for the few years he was in detroit danny all out markov
- the demolition man = tomas holmstrom

Shesty31

Jul 10, 2011
Connecticut
Loved Zherdev when he was in NYR. Shame what happened to his future.

Others include

Martin Rucinsky
Martin Straka
Fedor Tyutin
That one year of Peter Prucha
Jesper Fast
Vaclav Prospal
Marian Gaborik (though you could call him a star player)

And definitely NOT Michael Rozsival or Marek Malik. The scapegoats of my younger rangers fandom.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Chris Neil: tough as nails. Set the tone. Made teammates play several inches taller.

Anton Volchenkov: ate pucks for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Hit like a Mack truck.

Jarkko Ruutu: elite agitator. Solid penalty killer. Sneaky shootout weapon.

Vaclav Varada: we didn’t have him for a long time but he was a walking momentum shift, playing on the edge.

Zack Smith: versatile, tough, solid on the PK. Great team guy.

There’s a theme here clearly.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Deryk Engelland. Overpaid bottom pairing guy who rose to the occasion when needed. Fought two guys at the same time.

Micheal Ferland. Awesome seeing him overcome the odds and look like an absolute stud on the top line, even if it was a short time up there.

Matt Stajan. Did what he could without complaining. Played 1C through 4C. Mentor.

Michael stone. I don't know if there's anyone else with more calgary team/affiliate related jerseys than this guy.

BretterThanYou

Sep 17, 2006
Collinsville IL
If Pietrangelo doesn't count as a star player, him.

Otherwise:

Jay Bouwmeester - He was a rock that really helped Parayko stand out. Think we have a good chance to repeat during hte COVID season if things hadn't happened the way they did for him.

Barret Jackman
Carl Gunnarsson
Jaden Schwartz

Dating myself with this one a bit, but Geoff Courtnall

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
One obscure guy I really liked was Dean McAmmond.

He's probably most famous for getting concussed by Chris Pronger in the 2007 Stanley Cup finals for which Pronger was suspended a game. He was also concussed by Steve Downie (remember him?) and there was another occasion as well.

“Everybody has been saying I’ve got concussion problems, I don’t believe I’ve got concussion problems at all, I’ve got problems with people giving me traumatic blows to the head. That’s what I’ve got a problem with.”

He had a motor, tremendous speed, a great work ethic, and he was the definition of a Swiss Army Knife who could play on any line, from 1st to 4th, and fit in with those guys.

He had 5 goals and 8 points in 18 games during Ottawa's 2007 trip to the Cup Finals.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
A few islanders that I think we all can agree, we miss to some extent

Frans Nielsen
Mike Vukota
Vlad Malakhov
The guys I'll list for NYI are the skaters one had to see live to really appreciate:

1. Michael Grabner - if the man had better hockey sense he'd have been something. His acceleration and top speed were insane. Fastest player I've ever seen, and I've seen all the others. Only guy who looked as fast relative to the competition to me was Gartner.

2. Benoit Hogue - the dude was fun. Yeah, he lost a lot of battles, but when he saw open ice his feet would start moving, and he'd smile. And then he'd miss the net by a foot.

3. Adrian Aucoin - I saw him at his peak, when he appeared tireless. His speed + agility weren't special, but his skating efficiency was something else. I saw games where he played half the game, and never once looked tired.

If Pietrangelo doesn't count as a star player, him.
Of course he does.

Edit: Going to add one: Marc-Andre Bergeron. There was absolutely no telling where the puck would go, because when he cranked it, everyone ducked for cover.

Reactions: Osakahaus

Caboose

Jan 16, 2019
Rick Rypien, RIP.

He would have been an absolute unmatched legend with a full career. He was already a massive fan favorite.

Salsa Shark

Sep 1, 2009
Jersey
Loved Zherdev when he was in NYR. Shame what happened to his future.

Others include

Martin Rucinsky
Martin Straka
Fedor Tyutin
That one year of Peter Prucha
Jesper Fast
Vaclav Prospal
Marian Gaborik (though you could call him a star player)

And definitely NOT Michael Rozsival or Marek Malik. The scapegoats of my younger rangers fandom.
Roszival was a fine Ranger.

Good list I loved Straka. Add Dubinsky, Paul Mara, and Jed Ortemyer. Also liked Matt Cullen in his one season with us

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Chris Neil
His ability to avoid suspensions is what I consider an incredible feat given the type of career he had. Had my admiration. And I am generally not a fan of enforcers.

Because of the hypocrisy of the schtick.
Lot of them did the dirty stuff they were supposed to prevent (according to oldheads)

My pick is Tomáš Vokoun. And Plekanec who was mentioned already.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad