Non-Sharks Bay Area Sports Thread XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Zaidi isn’t inspiring much confidence with his trades. Pillar was fine, but Reed, Joe and now Austin have all been pointless. Low reward moves, when he easily could have just played Williamson from the beginning. Williamson’s an outfielder, right handed, with power and some success at the major league level. Austin just said he hasn’t played any outfield this year, so now Belt is in left. So he made a lateral trade while displacing a fantastic defensive 1b. It’s just stupid.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Zaidi isn’t inspiring much confidence with his trades. Pillar was fine, but Reed, Joe and now Austin have all been pointless. Low reward moves, when he easily could have just played Williamson from the beginning. Williamson’s an outfielder, right handed, with power and some success at the major league level. Austin just said he hasn’t played any outfield this year, so now Belt is in left. So he made a lateral trade while displacing a fantastic defensive 1b. It’s just stupid.

From what I can see, he is working around a dinosaur manager and trying to get guys that Bochy will actually play. Connor Joe has played in all of 5 games since the start of the year, so there's no point in him wilting away on the bench. Austin mashes LHP from what I read, so at least he might be able to contribute there. I kind of assumed he'd be platooning in LF with Parra, and Pillar + Duggar would cover for his deficiencies in LF defensively. But of course Bochy messes it up and puts Belt in LF...

Reactions: Sandisfan

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
Trust the process! The rebuild will take time and he was super handcuffed with a huge payroll and no farm to speak of. There is a reason Williamson cleared waivers..

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Trust the process! The rebuild will take time and he was super handcuffed with a huge payroll and no farm to speak of. There is a reason Williamson cleared waivers..
Of course there's a reason he cleared waivers, part of it was his crap spring, part was his injury history, and part was the fact that every other team has a full 40 man roster heading into the start of the season. I have faith in Zaidi's ability to build up the team via the draft, etc. but given the mindset going into the season that they may not be good, it would have made more sense to let Williamson try to rediscover what he showed last season instead of grabbing 2 guys with almost 0 experience and letting them fail their way off the roster. I just think he's making a lot of trades and it seems like he's just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks.

From what I can see, he is working around a dinosaur manager and trying to get guys that Bochy will actually play. Connor Joe has played in all of 5 games since the start of the year, so there's no point in him wilting away on the bench. Austin mashes LHP from what I read, so at least he might be able to contribute there. I kind of assumed he'd be platooning in LF with Parra, and Pillar + Duggar would cover for his deficiencies in LF defensively. But of course Bochy messes it up and puts Belt in LF...
Bochy is trying to make due with what he has. Joe and Reed were clearly outmatched in the few games they played, so he had to bench them and watch them eventually get DFA'ed. Austin could be totally fine, but he and Williamson are similar players, and one didn't require a trade and was with the team from the start. It just seems like Zaidi is trying too hard to catch lightning in a bottle like the Dodgers did with Chris Taylor and Max Muncy. He's not going to magically find some cast off who's going to outproduce the main guys that were already on the roster, Belt, Posey, Panik, Longoria, Duggar, etc. I find it odd that he keeps trying. I think he can show more patience.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Bochy is trying to make due with what he has. Joe and Reed were clearly outmatched in the few games they played, so he had to bench them and watch them eventually get DFA'ed. Austin could be totally fine, but he and Williamson are similar players, and one didn't require a trade and was with the team from the start. It just seems like Zaidi is trying too hard to catch lightning in a bottle like the Dodgers did with Chris Taylor and Max Muncy. He's not going to magically find some cast off who's going to outproduce the main guys that were already on the roster, Belt, Posey, Panik, Longoria, Duggar, etc. I find it odd that he keeps trying. I think he can show more patience.

Sure, but he also refuses to cut Sandoval, who is dead weight instead of using better players. Bochy is a dinosaur, and I feel like Zaidi is just trying to tread water until he retires.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Speaking of bay area baseball, Khris Davis was the 9th fastest all time (and fastest of active players) to reach 200 career homers. Even faster than Bonds.

(Fastest in terms of pa's and ab's)

Seto17

Apr 13, 2019
Did anyone watch the Giants game last night after the Sharks game? Damn, it was almost 4am Eastern, and it was still going.
Longest game in the sf era, have it on the back ground while playing video games. Watching the giants games is like watching a soccer games now, can they score 2 or 3 ???

Seto17

Apr 13, 2019
Keeping Sandoval was an odd choice.
Stats doesn't stand out but u need his energy. It's a rebuilding year just ease up the hate on the panda. He was part of three champs, doesn't that count for something. Why Posey get a pass, he keep trying to drive the ball. You have no power, just think up the middle ex: Joe mauer.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Khris Davis signs a 2 year, 33.5 mil extension.

Would have liked 3 years, but I'm stoked regardless. Most homers in baseball over the past 4 years.

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA

If Kyler's still on the board, 49ers should try to get an RG3-style offer.

#2 overall for #15, #46, 2020 1st, 2020 2nd, and 2021 1st?

(extra 2nd-rounder because last time they went #6->#2 and this time they'd be going #15->#2)

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

If Kyler's still on the board, 49ers should try to get an RG3-style offer.

#2 overall for #15, #46, 2020 1st, 2020 2nd, and 2021 1st?

(extra 2nd-rounder because last time they went #6->#2 and this time they'd be going #15->#2)
There are 2 elite players in this draft and the 49ers got one of them. Now let's get a DB at 36.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
For anyone who needs a fun sports story ahead of the hockey game, watch the Blue Jays/A's game starting now

You'll get to see the debut of Vladimir Guerrero Jr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad