News: Non Qualified Players

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
He is a good skater. There is still a ceiling to reach. With the Bruins luck with these kind of players... "Zacha" him
He's at his ceiling. Zacha has always had the tool kit without understanding how to use the tools. Even still, offensively he's largely what he is. The Bruins didn't unlock anything there. The one thing I could give the bruins credit for (but I am not qualified to speak on it as I didn't watch enough Boston) is if they got him to put forth constant, hard effort. No slacking, good energy.

If you turn Mikey into a better defender, he's still just a 4th line center because he can't score and effort isn't a problem. He works hard on the ice

Last edited:
Reactions: biturbo19

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
So Detroit traded for Yamo and Kostin then bought out Yamo and didn’t qualify Kostin. I think Kostins agent has badly overplayed his hand.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
So Detroit traded for Yamo and Kostin then bought out Yamo and didn’t qualify Kostin. I think Kostins agent has badly overplayed his hand.
That is turning into a horrible deal for Detroit...

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Bastian is great, I think everybody loves him, I would have risked arb for him.

Think we might be banking on our previously expressed desire to have him in NJ moving the needle in UFA. he might not want to play the waivers game again.

Fair enough. He might not want to get swapped back and forth between Seattle and New Jersey, coast to coast to coast again. :laugh: Seems to have a nice niche carved out for himself there. Maybe if he's comfortable with the spot and fact he won't land back on waivers there, he'll sign cheap/with a bit of term to make sure.

But i don't see arb potential as all that risky in that scenario. Just hard to see him getting a big arb award and not just getting something mutually agreed upon done beforehand if that's his intention. Seems riskier to me to let him walk. Never know what some team will throw at a decent depth forward with size, young legs, and decent enough skill level for the role. Might make him realize exactly what he'd be leaving on the table. Even if it's only an extra couple hundred grand a year...for depth players that can be a big difference in their career earnings.

The whole market is kinda jacked up right now with some weird anomalies though, so maybe just misreading the level of concern there, or something. :dunno:

Reactions: MasterofGrond

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
Did any of the 2018 Canadian Men’s Juniors players, who were eligible to receive a QO today do so?

I count McLeod, Steel, Comtois and Mete all not receiving one. Did I miss anyone?
I think we all know that it was Formenton. It hasn’t been specifically stated, but all of the other Canadian Men’s Juniors players have made statements/played in the NHL since then.

Formenton is the only one to not make a statement regarding it and he didn’t play in the NHL all year, despite being healthy. Not to mention that he was coming off an 18 goal season in his first full NHL season as a 22-year-old with size and speed.

I think we need to stop tainting the other players on that team when there is no evidence that they were involved.

Reactions: McJedi

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Did any of the 2018 Canadian Men’s Juniors players, who were eligible to receive a QO today do so?

I count McLeod, Steel, Comtois and Mete all not receiving one. Did I miss anyone?

I'm counting Clague and Gadjovich in that as well. Though those ones, it's particularly unclear if there's anything to it or they simply aren't worth with low Qualifying Offer. Maybe both. Definitely raises an eyebrow though.

Wonder how many teams kick tires on Colin White again, after seeing him do a thing one time in the playoffs in OT. And nothing else really.

Makes even more sense to not qualify McLeod then, if they award him 3 million they’ve got to pay him

That's exactly why arbitration is concerning for some teams with these players. I don't know that McLeod would get $3M necessarily, but anything that is north of $2M probably starts to get uncomfortable for what he offers. And he's got a decent case to land on the higher end of that $2-3M range with the points, faceoffs, etc.

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I think we all know that it was Formenton. It hasn’t been specifically stated, but all of the other Canadian Men’s Juniors players have made statements/played in the NHL since then.

Formenton is the only one to not make a statement regarding it and he didn’t play in the NHL all year, despite being healthy. Not to mention that he was coming off an 18 goal season in his first full NHL season as a 22-year-old with size and speed.

I think we need to stop tainting the other players on that team when there is no evidence that they were involved.

Given the accusations made, if there's any truth to any of it...there quite literally had to have been other players involved. As that was sort of the nature of the situation or accusations made.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Poehling :( would have liked to see him back

Yeah. Poehling is a weird one to not qualify to me. He seems like a useful 4th liner with a bit of flexibility and size. Never going to live up to the hype or be anything more than that...but i also don't really see where he would've had much of a case for an outsized arbitration award.

I'm guessing he's just too tall and doesn't have enough dangly puck skillz for a prototypical Dubas bottom-6.

Or really, Dubas is probably going to be looking to bring in a bunch of reclamation projects and filler at near vet minimum deals. Didn't want to risk as extra $200k on Poehling cutting into his budget bottom-6 margins?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah. Poehling is a weird one to not qualify to me. He seems like a useful 4th liner with a bit of flexibility and size. Never going to live up to the hype or be anything more than that...but i also don't really see where he would've had much of a case for an outsized arbitration award.

I'm guessing he's just too tall and doesn't have enough dangly puck skillz for a prototypical Dubas bottom-6.

Or really, Dubas is probably going to be looking to bring in a bunch of reclamation projects and filler at near vet minimum deals. Didn't want to risk as extra $200k on Poehling cutting into his budget bottom-6 margins?

He allegedly has some major health issue. There have been murmurs about it all off-season that he has some major issue with his back that may hurt his effectiveness going forward.

Posted already. This was the report from Kovacevic:

"Much would have to be processed about Ryan Poehling, too, and his own ongoing health issue -- which I know but am not yet at liberty to divulge -- but he's very much a candidate to be brought back provided there's evidence the issue can be deemed manageable. And my goodness, the Penguins should certainly hope it is. He's young, fast, capable of contributing at both ends and a great kid. Everything they need. (dkpghsports friday insider june 23rd)"

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I'm counting Clague and Gadjovich in that as well. Though those ones, it's particularly unclear if there's anything to it or they simply aren't worth with low Qualifying Offer. Maybe both. Definitely raises an eyebrow though.

Wonder how many teams kick tires on Colin White again, after seeing him do a thing one time in the playoffs in OT. And nothing else really.

That's exactly why arbitration is concerning for some teams with these players. I don't know that McLeod would get $3M necessarily, but anything that is north of $2M probably starts to get uncomfortable for what he offers. And he's got a decent case to land on the higher end of that $2-3M range with the points, faceoffs, etc.
Clague wasn’t qualified because he has arbitration rights and spent the whole year in Buffalo after being signed for the minors due to injuries. He‘s not going to start in the NHL here but will be rewarded like an NHL player. Had no choice but to let him walk.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Posted already. This was the report from Kovacevic:

"Much would have to be processed about Ryan Poehling, too, and his own ongoing health issue -- which I know but am not yet at liberty to divulge -- but he's very much a candidate to be brought back provided there's evidence the issue can be deemed manageable. And my goodness, the Penguins should certainly hope it is. He's young, fast, capable of contributing at both ends and a great kid. Everything they need. (dkpghsports friday insider june 23rd)"

Seems highly speculative. But that would certainly make sense if it's the case i guess.

Was it some sort of offseason injury, or something he was playing through?

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

Nice post. Well said.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018

I've read the opposing interpretation: he'd be the whistleblower, and the tightknit hockey community is locking him out.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox

Rumor is he has some sort of a chronic back injury.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

You missed Jonah Gadjovich (SJS), Cal Foote (NSH and Kale Clague (BUF), all not qualified. (Clague, like Mete, wasn’t at the event though.)

Vegas did qualify Brett Howden.

Reactions: Fogelhund

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I forgot Steel and McLeod were on that 2018 team/allegations

If neither is offered a contract tomorrow... telling sign its due to 2018 incident

MarchessaultCantRead

Mar 3, 2023
I've read the opposing interpretation: he'd be the whistleblower, and the tightknit hockey community is locking him out.

If you’re referring to this post on Twitter, then it doesn’t make any sense.

If Formenton really has proof, then why doesn’t he just provide it? This is a very serious accusation and any sane person would go to the ends of the earth to clear their name. The public would be behind him in this day and age.

Him deciding to chill in Europe making peanuts compared to what he could in the NHL while being notoriously rumored as a sexual predator just to avoid retribution from the “Big Boys Club” sounds dubious to me at best!

Last edited:

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015

Ya seems to be the case. Such a pity, a player of his type is exactly what our team needs right now on the 3rd line and we've been struggling to replace what he brought since, great pker too. Leaves a significant hole on our roster with him gone. Terrible situation all around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad