GDT: Non-Panthers NHL playoffs talk

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Of course he doesn't want people to care about stats and analytics. He's getting paid almost $10M to have the 7th-11th best stats among Dallas forwards.

Yup. Seguin has been absolute dogshit along with Benn in the playoffs so I for one didn't really need his take on the topic to know his stance.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Yup. Seguin has been absolute dogshit along with Benn in the playoffs so I for one didn't really need his take on the topic to know his stance.
His personal stats are poor but his team’s stats, other than final scores aren’t good either, so his point is still correct. (Read again what he said.)

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
His personal stats are poor but his team’s stats, other than final scores aren’t good either, so his point is still correct. (Read again what he said.)
I guess it's fine to claim that it's more important to be lucky than good, but it's not useful for anyone trying to build a team.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Read it on the first time. If the team stats are an aggregate of individual stats and he should be a major contributor on those then he's basically saying that his individual stats and the significance of them are overrated. imo he knows that the question is a jab at him at least on part and the honest answer to that would've been that luck has played a big part on their journey.

Reactions: I am not exposed

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I guess it's fine to claim that it's more important to be lucky than good, but it's not useful for anyone trying to build a team.
They’ve played too many games for it to be just luck.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Fire Q this coming mid-season. :sarcasm:
I don't mind Q, but the point of my post was to say, I think the whole "there is no way to succeed except building years of stability" slogan/mantra couldn't be more untrue. You can do it in less time, we saw that with the expansion Vegas team.

Just remembered, wasn't it also a year or so ago that the Dallas Stars CEO was ripping their 2 superstars Seguin and Benn publicly? Absolute gong show and now they are in the Finals. :laugh: That is the reason I am hopeful, a completely new voice in this organization could turn this circus show around rather quickly, *IF* Zito has the brains and that is the question that remains to be seen.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
a completely new voice in this organization could turn this circus show around rather quickly,

"Ekblad traded to the Maple Leafs for Holl, Liljegren, Engvall and a 2nd round pick. Zito comments on the bold move: 'Q told me to get better defensemen and that's what I did, at least I think I did. They wouldn't accept Matheson or Yandle but I had to do something.'"

Reactions: Crossbar

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
4 powerplays, 3 goals.

Bolts PP wasn't that great heading into the final, but keep giving them chances and eventually it will cost you.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
4 powerplays, 3 goals.

Bolts PP wasn't that great heading into the final, but keep giving them chances and eventually it will cost you.
And with the physical game Dallas plays, it's hard to avoid it. They probably should have won it anyway though.

Reactions: harv33173

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
As I'm watching inbetween MNF tonight, I'm wondering if the Panthers left their excellent play (in the last week of the "season") before their first game was postponed in Dallas.

My high thought of the night. :devdance:

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
And hundreds of thousands of feet of beard was collectively shaved as the stanley cup was presented to the 2020 stanley cup winners*

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
As I'm watching inbetween MNF tonight, I'm wondering if the Panthers left their excellent play (in the last week of the "season") before their first game was postponed in Dallas.

My high thought of the night. :devdance:
We just didn't want it...except for the Haula block and Ekblad reaction, there wasn't much fire here...

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
A bit of a bummer to see them hoist the cup in an empty arena. Even sad fans in Dallas would have been more dignified.

That said, I can't deny the sensation of national pride when Hedman became the third Swede to win the Conn Smythe. It wasn't obvious he was going to live up to expectations after his first few seasons, but he has humbly grown into a Norris and Conn Smythe winner. I hope we get to see Ekblad do the same.

Pigge

Feb 28, 2002
Two cups in 16 seasons for Tampa.

Panthers haven't won a playoff series in 23 season. You gotta love our commitment to mediocrity. Really unprecedented.
The Dudley-Keenan-Martin debacle should probably be forgotten, but Tallon was close to breaking through. If the right person had stepped in and put the finishing touches on the team in 2016, things could have been good. There is enough reason to hope that it will happen now, even if the roster is in worse shape than a few years ago.

To some degree it probably helped Tampa to suck for ten years before becoming relevant, as opposed to the Panthers getting a taste of success early on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad