Winston-Salem NC

that's high end, don't think it can top the champ though:

1660932477858.png

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I’ve seen it before that removing all pads from football players would make the game safer.
Where have you seen that, out of curiosity? Reason I ask is that in early football there were a lot of deaths per year, with a high percentage coming from head injuries. Not all of them were due to collisions during the tackling, some of which occured due to what happened under the piles of players.

Reactions: DaveG

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Yes please.
No thanks. The Browns can win more games with a lessor QB maybe this will force KevinS to actually use their best weapons. You know Chubb and Hunt. We have been waiting 2 full seasons for them to line up together in the backfield, maybe he pulls his head out of his ass and gives that a shot now

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
It’s called Rugby

I hear this all the time, and maybe it's a joke, but the two sports are dramatically different in the way that contact occurs.

Blocking is illegal in rugby, and blocking is responsible for a lot of football injuries: head injuries, accidental or intentional chop blocks, and so on.

The forward pass is illegal in rugby, which means that the receiver hit over the middle is non-existent, and there's no quarterback standing in the pocket waiting to be crushed.

In fact, moving forward of the line of the ball itself is mostly illegal for offensive players, so players tend to be moving much more often in similar directions than in opposite directions.

The scrum is basically non-collision; when the referee puts the ball in, everyone engages in a big shoving mass according to very specific rules of engagement.

If I were to compare a sport to American football from a crazy danger perspective, that sport would be Aussie rules football. Those dudes hit each other at full speed from opposite directions all the time. Contact at full speed, including blindside contact, is absolutely routine. It's the one sport that has similar, if not worse, CTE rates as American football.

My guess is that if you remove pads from American football players, you end up with a game that's more like Aussie footy, which is to say, a different game that's just as dangerous.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I hear this all the time, and maybe it's a joke, but the two sports are dramatically different in the way that contact occurs.

Blocking is illegal in rugby, and blocking is responsible for a lot of football injuries: head injuries, accidental or intentional chop blocks, and so on.

The forward pass is illegal in rugby, which means that the receiver hit over the middle is non-existent, and there's no quarterback standing in the pocket waiting to be crushed.

In fact, moving forward of the line of the ball itself is mostly illegal for offensive players, so players tend to be moving much more often in similar directions than in opposite directions.

The scrum is basically non-collision; when the referee puts the ball in, everyone engages in a big shoving mass according to very specific rules of engagement.

If I were to compare a sport to American football from a crazy danger perspective, that sport would be Aussie rules football. Those dudes hit each other at full speed from opposite directions all the time. Contact at full speed, including blindside contact, is absolutely routine. It's the one sport that has similar, if not worse, CTE rates as American football.

My guess is that if you remove pads from American football players, you end up with a game that's more like Aussie footy, which is to say, a different game that's just as dangerous.
Yeah I was going for a joke. Modern American football is far far removed from any rugby roots it had. Good thought on the Aussie Rules though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad