GDT: Non-Panthers NFL Discussion (2017 and beyond)

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Maybe I'm all alone, but on that game, the word that comes to mind isn't "great". it's "sloppy."

Was not a well-played game in terms of fundamentals. Tons of turnovers and flags and a lot of bad offense and bad defense. I know it sounds weird to say the phrase "bad offense" in a game that had 105 points but it was all on big plays. I didn't see great blocks or lots of amazing contested catches.

I guess casual fans like it and people who come in to watch the ending of a game, but meh. High scoring games can be well played but this was not one of them.

I completely agree. It was fun, but as I said, by no means one of the best games I've seen, even in the regular season. Took forever, too many penalties, many of the turnovers were from awful play by the offensive players, and like I said, offensive games like this are becoming more regular. I like a good bit of offense, but it just feels like they've tipped the scales a bit too far in that direction.

Last I checked, the point of sports was to be entertaining; you know, fun. This game certainly was that. That's the same shitty attitude NHL "elitists" carry, and it sucks.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Maybe I'm all alone, but on that game, the word that comes to mind isn't "great". it's "sloppy."

Was not a well-played game in terms of fundamentals. Tons of turnovers and flags and a lot of bad offense and bad defense. I know it sounds weird to say the phrase "bad offense" in a game that had 105 points but it was all on big plays. I didn't see great blocks or lots of amazing contested catches.

I guess casual fans like it and people who come in to watch the ending of a game, but meh. High scoring games can be well played but this was not one of them.
There were definitely some moments where if the QBs were say Dak Prescott and Sam Darnold, the comments would have been “you’ve got to step into those throws” (when Goff short armed three passes over the middle to wide open receivers) and “a more veteran QB would have felt the pressure coming” (multiple strip sacks).

Don’t get me wrong, it was enjoyable to watch, but for the most part the defense is present on the field and that’s about it.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Last I checked, the point of sports was to be entertaining; you know, fun. This game certainly was that. That's the same ****ty attitude NHL "elitists" carry, and it sucks.

What you perceive as "fun" may be predicated on how you watch a game. I'm not out here telling everybody else how to watch it, or that they are not allowed to enjoy watching it. I'm just saying that, to me, it's not really what I want to see the NFL become. Not sure what's so horrible about that statement.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
What you perceive as "fun" may be predicated on how you watch a game. I'm not out here telling everybody else how to watch it, or that they are not allowed to enjoy watching it. I'm just saying that, to me, it's not really what I want to see the NFL become. Not sure what's so horrible about that statement.

Nothing wrong with not enjoying it, different strokes. Moreso triggered by the "casual fan" comment. I know plenty of "real fans" that loved it.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Moreso triggered by the "casual fan" comment.

Can you deny that a lot of people who wouldn't normally watch football were drawn to that game because of all the hoopla? Hell my Facebook feed was full of comments from people that never say anything about football who were suddenly all into it.

Furthermore, I'm not saying that one *has* to be a "casual fan" to have enjoyed it. I enjoyed it in the moment, but I can't really say I thought it was a great game or a well-played game.

I think high scoring games can be a lot of fun when they're well executed, but mostly what I saw was horrendous secondary play from both teams. A shootout loses its appeal when the guy catching the ball has nobody within 10 yards of him.

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
Can you deny that a lot of people who wouldn't normally watch football were drawn to that game because of all the hoopla? Hell my Facebook feed was full of comments from people that never say anything about football who were suddenly all into it.

Furthermore, I'm not saying that one *has* to be a "casual fan" to have enjoyed it. I enjoyed it in the moment, but I can't really say I thought it was a great game or a well-played game.

I think high scoring games can be a lot of fun when they're well executed, but mostly what I saw was horrendous secondary play from both teams. A shootout loses its appeal when the guy catching the ball has nobody within 10 yards of him.

I was wrong, I am sorry.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I was wrong, I am sorry.

b9c7b23992117d35ddd719232debe91d80b3d6fb7b21036a2ef7458539ceefd1.jpg

Seriously, I wasn't trying to be argumentative, just explaining what I meant. I get your point about the "casual fan" thing though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad