Non-Hockey Sports Thread XV - Sports Abyss Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
Seen some speculation that Shurmur was the one calling a good chunk of the plays before the bye week, due to his familiarity with Bradford. Also explains why we didn't run very much of the traditional Norv Turner system and were more West Coast style. Purely speculation, of course.

Either way, Norv seems like a nice enough dude but I'm not gonna miss his 7 step drops on every passing play.

Its impossible to say if this is good or bad without knowing what goes on behind the scenes.

But as far as conspiracy theories go it is really plausible.
They hired Shurmur in the off-season for a reason.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Game 7. Ready for a classic. I'm not in the 95% of people that really want the Cubs to win, but I don't care either way. It's weird that people who don't follow baseball at all are all suddenly Cubs fans.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Game 7. Ready for a classic. I'm not in the 95% of people that really want the Cubs to win, but I don't care either way. It's weird that people who don't follow baseball at all are all suddenly Cubs fans.

I feel like the Cubs will be like the early 2000's Red Sox. EVERYONE was pulling for those lovable losers in 2004. Then they won, and everyone was like "ok, you won, you can go away now." Then they won again in 2007, and everyone hates them now :laugh:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I feel like the Cubs will be like the early 2000's Red Sox. EVERYONE was pulling for those lovable losers in 2004. Then they won, and everyone was like "ok, you won, you can go away now." Then they won again in 2007, and everyone hates them now :laugh:

Probably. And I'm okay with it. This game 7 has been thrilling so far.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I feel like taking Hendricks out is overthinking it. He's been pitching well, has only thrown like 60 pitches, and they have enough of a lead to pull if things really do get away from him.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
So they pull Hendricks, who was looking solid, and that cluster **** happens. Lucky to get out of it after giving up only two runs.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I feel like taking Hendricks out is overthinking it. He's been pitching well, has only thrown like 60 pitches, and they have enough of a lead to pull if things really do get away from him.

Yeah, even before Lester's troubles it seemed way premature.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I think they just said no starter the entire series went more than 6 innings. The game has changed so much recently where teams go to the bullpen so early. The rise of fireballing relief pitchers makes games go forever because there's constant pitching changes back and forth.

Anyway, it's nice to watch meaningful baseball. Don't get to do that around these parts too often.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
I think they just said no starter the entire series went more than 6 innings. The game has changed so much recently where teams go to the bullpen so early. The rise of fireballing relief pitchers makes games go forever because there's constant pitching changes back and forth.

Anyway, it's nice to watch meaningful baseball. Don't get to do that around these parts too often.

Maybe it's just because of how often I've heard Burt talk about the "good 'ol days" of pitching, but I hate the game, now.

Pitch counts were the worst thing to happen to baseball, ever.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Maybe it's just because of how often I've heard Burt talk about the "good 'ol days" of pitching, but I hate the game, now.

Pitch counts were the worst thing to happen to baseball, ever.

Yeah, not only does it slow the game down, but it's just annoying to me that the bullpen is micromanaged to the degree it is. Especially when they do the whole "bring in a guy to get one batter" thing.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Yeah, not only does it slow the game down, but it's just annoying to me that the bullpen is micromanaged to the degree it is. Especially when they do the whole "bring in a guy to get one batter" thing.

Micromanagement is a great term to explain my frustrations. It takes a game that already had major pacing issues and long lulls of nothing, and ramped it up to 11.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I think they're talking about rules restricting pitching changes. I don't really know how that would work, but it would be a step in the right direction. It's not that there's not a lot of strategy involved, but it's just such a bore in games where both teams use the whole bullpen.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I've only been paying half attention to this whole MLB postseason, but this Game 7 has been pretty great so far. The Cubs look like they have finally figured out the Cleveland pitching staff.

Pulling for the Cubs because I just want to see them end the drought. We'll never have to hear about the Goat or Steve Bartman or any of that other crap again. I do like most of the Cubs' players too and they've assembled a great team through both drafting and free agency. They did buy some of their players like Lester and Zobrist, but a lot of them were homegrown and I respect that.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Playing Chapman if you ask me is a bit of a gamble. The Indians have had a lot of time to get to know him in the last few games. And he's had to put in a lot more work then normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad